ATI Radeon X2900 XT Vs Geforce 8800GTS (2900XT = Winner)

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
i know nvidia had issues with 8xxx series, but they at least released them on time, and the cards deliver.The driver issues have been finally solved, and the minor things that remain are because of the new OS.
And if u guys think that ATI would have better time with drivers, think again.ATi always had poor drivers, and with it's release date at 14th (hopefully) it would have far less time to solve those problems.and by the time it solves them, nvidia would have already released it's next series.

as for quad core, dual core solutions, they are for those who got huge monitors, and wanna play at insane resolutions.

siddharth2002

National Board President<br /><a href="showthread.
blackleopard92 said:
as for quad core, dual core solutions, they are for those who got huge monitors, and wanna play at insane resolutions.
Apparantly at some gamers conference only recently UT3 playable demos ran very smooth at 2560?1600 resolutions and that too an ONS map. They were running on Dell's quad core desktops. yes, I'd love that if that takes another 1 year wait for prices to fall down. :D

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
at last GDC, the guys were running crysis on quad SLI setup with 7900GTX (if my memory serves me correctly)

siddharth2002

blackleopard92 said:
at last GDC, the guys were running crysis on quad SLI setup with 7900GTX (if my memory serves me correctly)
But quad-SLI is not quite the right recipe gamers need. What Nvidia can do is start producing dual cores in a chip solution.

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
siddharth2002 said:
But quad-SLI is not quite the right recipe gamers need. What Nvidia can do is start producing dual cores in a chip solution.
or quad core solutions.... like the quad core chips that are comming out now, starting with AMD Barcelona :D

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
blackleopard92 said:
or quad core solutions.... like the quad core chips that are comming out now, starting with AMD Barcelona :D

Correct me if i am wrong, Barcelona is a processor series not GC lol leo :p

Moreover, i think the 8950GX2 or 8950GT are gonna rock. And Leo, the thing about huge monitors is not quite right. Because if you have the spare horsepower you can go for more eye candy always.

siddharth2002

Kshitiz_Indian said:

Moreover, i think the 8950GX2 or 8950GT are gonna rock. And Leo, the thing about huge monitors is not quite right. Because if you have the spare horsepower you can go for more eye candy always.
DAAMIT has hinted that one of the cores can be, in fact, will used as a dedicated GPU.

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
Kshitiz_Indian said:

i was hinting at quad core GPU solns similar to CPU ones like barcelona.

eye candy.... (signs)

siddharth2002 said:
DAAMIT has hinted that one of the cores can be, in fact, will used as a dedicated GPU.
i think AMD is working on that too.
implementing GPU and CPU on a single die.... not bad.

siddharth2002

blackleopard92 said:
i was hinting at quad core GPU solns similar to CPU ones like barcelona.

eye candy.... (signs)

i think AMD is working on that too.
implementing GPU and CPU on a single die.... not bad.
DAAMIT is AMD. :cool:

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
The AMD project of integrating the GPU and the CPU has the codename "Fusion".

Whereas intel is also working on it and its called "Larrabee"

But the main problem with such multi core processors would be very short memory bandwidth. Like 8 cores and 16 cores processors would require more bandwidth than the current 4 core processors, which are already starving on the bandwidth front.

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
I am hardly excited about intel's Larrabee, they have zero experience in developing GPU's, while AMD was already working with ATI (before merger) on this every platform.
as for bandwidth, AMD has already said it HyperTransport technology would now be used to to elevate bandwidth bottlenecks.

also, the current quad core processors are just decorative, they have no optimisations specific to quad core processors. the true quad core processor would be barcalona.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Yeah i know intel is zero in developing GPU's but the man power and capability of intel is such that they can do it. Till now they were mostly focusing on processors - this is showed by the nvidia nforce 680iSLI beating every intel motherboard. But with the technological capability of intel if they do focus then they can create something nice. Who knows maybe nvidia works with intel to beat the amd ATI combo.....

cnbd_novice

International Coach
How come the different benchmarks results are varying so much?
cnbd_novice said:
Here is a review of HD Radeon 2900 XT from HEXUS. It was astounding to see how well the Raadeon X1950 XTX can match up with GeForce 8800 GTS and HD Radeon 2900 XT in a few case:
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=8687&page=1
EDIT: Here is another excellent and detailed review of ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT 512MB. Some of the above result can be seen in this case too, as well as much more:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/431/1/
2nd EDIT: A review of HD Radeon 2900 XT by CNET:
http://reviews.cnet.com/graphics-car...tag=prod.txt.2

siddharth2002

Seems like a good one but I'll again say that ATI doesn't look after well on products that become old.

Users who are viewing this thread