ATI Radeon X2900 XT Vs Geforce 8800GTS (2900XT = Winner)

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT puts up some impressive numbers in benchmarks

After several delays, AMD plans to launch its long-awaited R600 graphics processors. AMD is currently briefing select members of the press on its R600 architecture in the Tunisia, but there is no embargo date on the R600 for DailyTech -- we can show you benchmarks now.

AMD plans to launch a completely new DirectX 10 lineup with the flagship ATI Radeon HD 2900 XTX. Other models such as the Radeon HD 2900 XT, Radeon HD 2600-series and Radeon HD 2400-series will also join AMD?s DirectX 10 family after the initial high-end launches.

AMD equips the ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT with 320 stream processors to take on NVIDIA?s GeForce 8800 GTS, which features 96 stream processors. However, AMD and NVIDIA have taken different approaches towards their unified shader designs. AMD pairs the R600 GPU with 512MB of GDDR3 memory clocked at 1.65 GHz across an eight-channel, 512-bit memory interface. In comparison, the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS features 640MB of 1.6 GHz GDDR3 memory on a 320-bit memory interface.

AMD equips the ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT with a dual-slot, blower-type heat sink. Unlike the OEM Radeon HD 2900-series previously pictured, which is an 11.5? long card, the ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT makes use of a smaller cooler so everything fits within the 9.5? PCB. Although the R600 GPU supports HDMI audio and video output, the reference design only features dual dual-link DVI.

Onto the benchmarks. The tests were conducted on an Intel D975XBX2 BadAxe2, Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 and 2x1GB DDR2-800 MHz. The operating system on the test system was Windows XP, with a fresh install before benchmarking each card. Testing of the AMD ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT was performed using the 8.361 Catalyst RC4 drivers, while the GeForce 8800 GTS used ForceWare 158.19 drivers.

All game tests were run with the maximum detail settings at resolutions of 1280x1024. Futuremark?s 3DMark06 was tested with the default settings. Although we ran the benchmarks on our PC, we were not supplied a monitor for testing higher resolutions.

Expect AMD to pull the wraps off its DirectX 10 product line up in mid-May, with value, midrange and high end models to boot. AMD?s flagship ATI Radeon HD 2900-series will have two models at launch ? the ATI Radeon HD 2900 XTX and the HD 2900 XT. The ATI Radeon HD 2900 XTX models feature 1GB of GDDR4 memory while the lower HD 2900 XT features 512 MB.

The ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT is poised to have a street price approximately the same as the GeForce 8800 GTS, which currently has a suggested retailer price of $449.

Game - Maximum Quality Res of 1280x1024
AMD ATI Radeon NVIDIA GeForce
HD 2900 XT 8800 GTS 640MB

Call of Duty 2 Call Of Duty 2
73.5 FPS 56.7 FPS

Company Heroes Company Heroes
92.1 FPS 90.1 FPS

F.E.A.R. F.E.A.R.
84.0 FPS 83.3 FPS

Half Life 2: Ep 1 Half Life 2: Ep 1
112.0 FPS 57.4 FPS

Oblivion Oblivion
47.9 FPS 39.5 FPS

3DMark06 3DMark06
11447 9836

4534_large_R600_1.jpg

4535_R600_2.jpg

Article taken from http://dailytech.com/ATI+Radeon+HD+2900+XT+Performance+Benchmarks/article7043.htm

Last edited:

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Good read :) Impressive, the company of heroes score is almost balanced, difference in HL2is alraming :eek: F.E.A.R is almost same on both cards. Interesting competition. I am a bit sad though, i had expected this card to perform exceptionally well and it dissapoints me, i mean those 320 Shaders vs. 96 shaders competetion doesnt seem justified :(

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
The X200XT seems a really good card, settling in just below the 8800GTX, but basically half the price. Plus, these results were obtained using early ati beta drivers, so perforamnce should only get better.

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
Kshitiz_Indian said:
Good read :) Impressive, the company of heroes score is almost balanced, difference in HL2is alraming :eek: F.E.A.R is almost same on both cards. Interesting competition. I am a bit sad though, i had expected this card to perform exceptionally well and it dissapoints me, i mean those 320 Shaders vs. 96 shaders competetion doesnt seem justified :(
that's because the system they performed benchmark on was seriously CPU bottlenecked, u need atleast very high resolution to push these cards.

i would rather wait for benchmarks by anandtech/toms hardware

siddharth2002

National Board President<br /><a href="showthread.
I'd wait for Nvidia to launch their next one. Their cards are much more stable and have less driver issues. "Gas" is a bit of an addict, joined ATI bandwagon pretty quickly.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Moreover, it seems nVidia have wide availabilty or different models, across different ranges. I am early waiting the 8900 series, and the dual core 8950 GX2 whcih should be a monster :eek:
I hardly get more than 6 ATI cards choice in the markets....

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
siddharth2002 said:
. Their cards are much more stable and have less driver issues.

Hmmmm, that clearly isnt true mate. We only have to look at the 8800 series drivers as an example. :rolleyes:

"Gas" is a bit of an addict, joined ATI bandwagon pretty quickly

Been using ati since the radeon 9200se 256mb was lauched, so about the time when the geforce440mx came out. :rolleyes:

siddharth2002

I have used both ATI and Nvidia cards and got my own experiences with them. Nvidia had issues with 8800 but they have addressed them. Nvidia tests their hardware and software thoroughly before releasing them resulting is much lesser issues. I prefer those companies who abide with "its done when its done" theory however annoying it may be.

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
siddharth2002 said:
I have used both ATI and Nvidia cards and got my own experiences with them. Nvidia had issues with 8800 but they have addressed them. Nvidia tests their hardware and software thoroughly before releasing them resulting is much lesser issues. I prefer those companies who abide with "its done when its done" theory however annoying it may be.

I prefer companys who's products work when they release them, with the latest operating systems, not 6 months after the product release like some companys i can think of. Its even worse when they sell the item claiming xxxx support, only to realise after 6 months that there are still problems. So much for done when its done hey? :p

siddharth2002

The_gas said:
I prefer companys who's products work when they release them, with the latest operating systems, not 6 months after the product release like some companys i can think of. Its even worse when they sell the item claiming xxxx support, only to realise after 6 months that there are still problems. So much for done when its done hey? :p
Well, I am still going to install Nvidia's next avatar (not 8950 gx crap) in my upcoming PC. :p

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
not 8950 gx crap
I understand that dual core graphics cards are quite unstable in the beginning but hey they do rock the market after some time :) Take a look at 7950GX2, it almost matches the 8800GTS 320 :p though the 8600Ultra seems to be an interesting upcoming card.

siddharth2002

Kshitiz_Indian said:
I understand that dual core graphics cards are quite unstable in the beginning but hey they do rock the market after some time :) Take a look at 7950GX2, it almost matches the 8800GTS 320 :p though the 8600Ultra seems to be an interesting upcoming card.
GX2 versions are piss poor attempts at making some bucks and keep the punters interested. I prefer single chip solutions.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Although i believe they do deliver better performance, i think that going in for Quad SLi is rather pointless, and it costs the same as SLI high end solution. Quad SLI is the most unstable thing. I have heard we may see ATI dual cores this season so something's awaiting its arrival :p

Users who are viewing this thread