Australia in England - 2009 Ashes Tour

What will be the result of The Ashes?

• Total voters

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I'm looking forward immensely to this tour as it is the chance for the Aussies to extract revenge :)

More seriously perhaps, this talk of Shane Warne making a return may come to a head if Australia happens to trail in the series at any time and especially if MacGill is merely average in 2009.

This series will be the last of a few important series: Ind in Ind, SA at home and then in SA and finally Eng in Eng and if Aussies come out with wins in all those series, no one can challenge their title for a couple of years you'd think.

Preliminary projected Australian touring squad based on current squad:

Batsmen:
Phil Jacques
Matthew Hayden? (if not Brad Hodge)
Ricky Ponting
Michael Clarke
Michael Hussey
Andrew Symonds
Simon Katich

Keepers:
Brad Haddin
Luke Ronchi

Bowlers:
Brett Lee
Mitchell Johnson
Stuart Clark
Ashley Noffke
Ben Hilfenhaus
Stuart MacGill
Beau Casson

Other possibles? Watch out for David Hussey, Shaun Marsh, Shane Watson, Doug Bollinger, Nathan Bracken, Cameron White & Shane Warne

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
If they have cracking seasons again in the next Aus Domestic season Bollinger and D. Hussey will be there.

Hilfy had a poor season last year but I think he will be there. Bracken will go for the ODI's.

I really hope Ronchi isn't there.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Australia must be licking their lips after watching England today. I bet the middle order from this game will be exactly the same come the 2009 Ashes, with a completely different bowling attack. I'm looking forward to the South Africa series more than I am this, we're going to get mauled.

PhilD123

International Coach
Yeah, unless there's a dramatic change from the cricket we've seen from England recently, then I don't think we'll come close. I was about to say they wouldn't collapse like we do, but they were 18/5 in their 2nd innings today:p. Even then though, they have fought their way back, you can't see England doing something similar.

Travesty that Old Trafford hasn't got at least an ODI, will probably go to one of the twenty20's and maybe a day of the Headingley test.

TruSachFan

Club Cricketer
omg guys theres still one more yr y discuss it now

who knws ponting might retire :P after october :P

IanG

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
I find it ammusing that they always say it's Australia vs England yet the first test is being played in Wales. I know that England and Wales come under the one banner but still ammusing.

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
The question is who will be the third seamer and who will be the spinner OR the forth seamer

Sureshot

Executive member
For Australia or England? I presume you mean Australia. If I were the Aussies, I wouldn't bother with a spinner (unless something drastic happens), no point in playing a bowler just because he is a spinner. Outside of Lee and Clark, your attack doesn't look that great.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
lol Last time I said Aussies are gonne' win the test while England the ODIs, guess what happened :p.

hmm, I can't really say anything atm, but I hope Flintoff is back(?), I would love it then.

Sureshot

Executive member
I can't see Freddie ever batting as a part of our top 7. He should concentrate on what he did so well (hitting straight), but he has forgotten that. He'd play as a bowler alone. Sidebottom, Broad, Flintoff and Panesar as a four-man attack.

DPRA

International Cricketer
Australia In England 2009

Well, its under a year now people! The most anticipated series in Cricket, It might be early but, eh, lets get the banter going early!

'The Convicts' will be looking for another 5-0 whitewash over 'the poms' but England will be looking to make another series like the one in 2005.

And my dad has just got better because I have just recieved my Priority booking form for the Twenty20's at Old Trafford! 1 month before they go on General Sale! :cheers

Here is the Schedule:

May (tbc) Australia arrive in UK
Mon 1 - Thu 4 June - Warm-up period for World Twenty20
Fri 5 - Sun 21 June - World Twenty20
Wed 24 - Sat 27 June - Four-day game v Sussex (Hove)
Wed 1 - Sat 4 July - Four-day game v England Lions (Worcester)
Wed 8 - Sun 12 July - 1st Test Cardiff
Thu 16 - Mon 20 July - 2nd Test Lord's
Fri 24 - Sun 26 July - three-day game v Northants* (Northampton)
Thu 30 July - Mon 3 Aug - 3rd Test Edgbaston
Fri 7 - Tue 11 Aug - 4th Test Headingley
Sat 15 - Sun 16 Aug - Two-day game v Kent (Canterbury)
Thu 20 - Mon 24 Aug - 5th Test Oval
Fri 28 Aug - ODI v Scotland (Edinburgh)
Sun 30 Aug - 1st International Twenty20 (Old Trafford)
Tue 1 Sept - 2nd International Twenty20 (Old Trafford) (floodlit)
Fri 4 Sept - 1st ODI day/night (The Oval)
Sun 6 Sept - 2nd ODI (Lord's)
Wed 9 Sept - 3rd ODI day/night (The Rose Bowl)
Sat 12 Sept - 4th ODI (Lord's)
Tue 15 Sept - 5th ODI day/night (Trent Bridge)
Thu 17 Sept - 6th ODI day/night (Trent Bridge)
Sun 20 Sept - 7th ODI (Durham)
Mon 21 Sept Australia depart

Wed 8 - Sun 12 July, 1st Test, Cardiff
Thu 16 - Mon 20 July, 2nd Test, Lord's
Thu 30 July - Mon 3 Aug, 3rd Test, Edgbaston
Fri 7 - Tue 11 Aug, 4th Test, Headingley
Thu 20 - Mon 24 Aug, 5th Test, The Oval

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I am most likely going to day 3 at Edgbaston. I have been watching the 2005 DVD lately, and it really gets you going for the next series.

Lee - the Twenty20s are going to be nothing compared to the Tests!

DPRA

International Cricketer
I am most likely going to day 3 at Edgbaston. I have been watching the 2005 DVD lately, and it really gets you going for the next series.

Lee - the Twenty20s are going to be nothing compared to the Tests!

Thats why I put the post up, I was watching that magical second test at Edgaston.

I just can't put that DVD down now. It really does bring back memories. I can remember the moment them bails come off and we had won, I was on the phone jumping round the front room!

The Twenty20's are going to be mental at OT, the one V Yorkshire was great, but these are going to be even better!

Users who are viewing this thread