Australia: The team it's hard to fall in love with

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
This link here sums it up about the Australian cricket team.

I have felt this for a long time about Australian cricket and the players, and the way they go about the game. Win at all costs, and they ultimately really reduce themselves to becoming "winning arrseholes".

I just don't like the players. And that's not because they win. It's because they are jerks. They really are. They sledge like no other team. Johnson loves himself, Bollinger is the new face of arrogance under a toupee, Haddin is a tool, Watson needs to be brought down to Earth, and Clarke thinks he is too good for any of the rest of us mortals. Ponting is difficult to like. In fact, none of the players are lovable in the way that we loved Lillee and Thomson and Marsh. None of them are even likeable in the way that the Australian public liked Steve Waugh.

They're just a bunch of glorified trailer trash bullies.

Compare them with some of the great people of cricket, like Sachin Tendulkar and Sanath Jayasuriya. They're just lovely people who achieve great things. They're a class act all the way.

The best find this summer for me has been a website that broadcasts all the other international matches. I'm no longer forced to watch bad-mannered and spoilt rednecks get their rocks off beating up on much nicer but lowly ranked Test nations.

There's more to sport than winning - and this concept is most definitely not upheld by the current Australian cricket team.

Last edited:

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I think in some ways it's a bit harsh, but I have to admit that I share the view.

they are suffering internationally from the backlash of everyone wanting to see the aussie team that dominated everyone fall from grace, they haven't really fallen too hard yet and the problem is they are mostly new players and people now can't even give them their grudging respect.

It's like watson, haddin, bollinger just slotted in and took over a very good team unlike mcgrath, warne and waugh who built up a brilliant team and regardless of whether you wanted to see them beat, you had to just admit, they're too good, they're brilliant. that's not really fair though, these guys still have to perform to keep up the record.

the other problem is, and I dunno if this can be solved by any sort of attitude change, that they are just so unexciting as players. it's a team of workers and grinders, they restrict runs in the field, take catches, bowl line and length, have solid straight bat technique but no innovation.

you look at pakistan, who are miles behind them, and you've got umar akmal, who's this 19 year old that puts away several 4s in his first over. The bowlers are raw and quick, or like asif, simply brilliant to watch. Sri lanka have a spinner that invents new types of deliveries, a batsman that invents new shots, india have a lunatic opening for them, classy looking players like laxman (putting aside tendulkar) windies have express pace bowler and another madman opening who is just cool as a person. NZ have taylor and ryder, players that ooze excitement and personality (in ryders case not necessarily good personality, but he's interesting)

Their's just no expression in the australian style of playing, I hope they can find some players that make them exciting again. Where's the Martyns and Gilchrists?

Last edited:

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
The last 'nice guy' who played for Australia was Brett Lee. And you guys threw him away too! :p

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
The last 'nice guy' who played for Australia was Brett Lee. And you guys threw him away too! :p

North is ok, which shows a new guy can come in, do well, and not be seen as the enemy. nothing against north at all. not exciting though, is he? watson is the most exciting aussie player probably, but one of the most boorish who has the article says "needs to be brought back to earth"

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I would rather have OZ be #1 and do all that trash talk, then the 2 + 2, 4 days champions of the 'hole vorld, who thinks they are already so good without even proving themselves.

OZ deserved to be jerks. B/c they are GOOD. They dominates. They comes to play to win. Not to play dolls with you. They have all rights to be jerks and play hard, b/c they proved themselves to be. If i was as good as them, i would be a jerk too and look down on you! Thats how it is, thats how the world is, thats how it works.

but thats all in the middle, i am sure they are decent guys with out the jersey on.

Auwais

International Coach
Every team in any sport that's been successful for a considerable era has the same aura.

Although the opinion of that writer seems to have been blinded by nostalgia more than anything.

Robelinda

International Coach
No-one is forcing anyone to watch the Aussie's play. I dont see what the fuss is all about, I thoroughly enjoy watching them play, they always provide a positive match. Plus i've met many Aussie players over the years, terrific blokes to talk to. Ive even given a guitar lesson to one or two.....

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Fact: Michael Clarke is too good for us mere mortals.

Bollinger and Siddle: Legends of passion.

Nah seriously Clarkeys a legend. I remember going to a NSW vs Tasmania One day game with all the ints back, but it rained out. On the way out it was still drizzling, and we pass Michael Clarke who has 2 heavy looking kit bags, but he still stopped to take a photo with me. Was awesome. I have it framed =D I think I was 11 or 12.

Last edited:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I agree with you Captain, but for me the annoyance with their on field attitude ends as soon as the team steps off. As team functions, in interviews, at the Allan Border medal etc. they are great guys by the look of it (obviously I can't KNOW...) To me that is just as important as on field stuff. Yes, they play hard - maybe too hard. But unless you are being a dick off the field too, I've really got no problem with it.

Seeing shots of Haddin and Kamran the last couple of days chatting and having a laugh on the boundary was a great example. Seeing Simon Katich and Shane Watson on the Cricket Show the last couple of days, openly answering questions in good humour and sharing their knowledge shows they aren't arrogant, tightly wound pricks like the onfield shots seem to show. And that's the issue: to me the only problem people have with the Australian cricket team is because of what they do on the field. And if that is as far as it goes, I'm MOSTLY satisfied.

And it's not just a modern phenomenon. Allan Border was an arsehole on the field. So was Healy, so was Steve Waugh, so was Merv, so was Boonie. McGrath or Warne could get aggro and show disrespect too. I bet Ian Chappell was a tosser too, it's kinda how most Australian cricketers are wired.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I think it was McGrath that said it was whiteline fever. Once he stepped over the rope it was no more mr nice guy that played pranks on everyone, it was all business but once he stepped over the rope to the sheds it was back to his funny self.

Highlander999

ICC President
Isn't that the same for everyone though? From amateur league cricket to internationals? No one wants to be making the opposition feel comfortable

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
Im a nightmare in the field.. i never EVER stop talking, i dont even stop talking when im batting lol my theory on the whole sledging thing is as long as the opposition are thinking about something other than the game your winning the battle.. animal noises, jokes, songs anything between balls to get their mind off the task at hand.. and it works ALOT!

Users who are viewing this thread