Australia tour of South Africa, 2008/09

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
LOL at Thomsons poor attempt at owning the players.

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
MacDonald
Haddin
Johnson
Krejza/Hauritz
Lee/Bollinger (Depends if Lee is fit)
Siddle

That has to be my team. I really think we have to stick with Lee. He has had an extended break out of the team and surely has to be refreshed and ready to go. I'm confident in MacDonald too. He bowled tight in Sydney and picked up the odd wicket as well as being a decent bat. Hauritz was like MacDonald, kept it tight and his wickets may have been just outta luck but that's what happens what you apply pressure.

bushy

Club Cricketer
I said no to mcdonald due to the fact i think white and dav hussey can bowl for 40 overs together and white can keep it tight.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Looking at how Krejza seems to continue to leak runs in FC I think he needs to start developing more variety as he is so easy to play. A arm ball, variation in speed would be the two he needs right now. Hauritz is in the same boat, if he is to become more attacking he needs more variation.

bushy

Club Cricketer
i still dont think are spinners are upto atm. the only good spinner in the country atm is playing grade cricket.

btw ponting has hinted hughes wont go sth africa

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
i still dont think are spinners are upto atm. the only good spinner in the country atm is playing grade cricket.

btw ponting has hinted hughes wont go sth africa

Where you heard this pile of crap ??

angryangy

ICC Chairman
LOL at Thomsons poor attempt at owning the players.
They're doing a fair job of owning themselves...

The pace attack

I think everyone who played at Sydney would have to be in a very sure position. Neither Lee nor Clark will be ready. Watson too, for that matter. The quartet of fast bowlers in Siddle, Johnson, Bollinger and Hilfenhaus seem likely to remain favourites, having no chance to make a false step yet. A squad of 15 usually entails two spare bowlers so it's likely that another quick will be added. That choice will be interesting.

The spinner

Forget Krejza and Hauritz, McGain is back and he has to play. In his first match of the season, he sculpted a narrow win against South Australia with 5 wickets right where they counted. That is exactly what Australia need. I don't care about the age, he's the youngest wrist spinner actually getting wickets at first class level. Pick him.

The next opener

Now that is a choice that will only end in tears.

It's far from a waste of Hughes' talent if he does not go to South Africa. In fact, I can't see them bringing him straight into the team even if they do pick him. I think England is very likely, however. Nevertheless, there will be a great wailing and gnashing of teeth if he is overlooked.

For Jaques, who is 29, the time is now. He may not quite be 100% however and so the time leading up to the announcement of the squad is going to be very touch and go for him as his batting partner grows in stature.

Chris Rogers has done nothing wrong and perhaps it is a reversal of the situation that saw him ruled out of a debut against Sri Lanka due to illness. However, I can't help but feel he's not quite as good as Jaques.

Number 6

I do tend to think that without an utterly legendary bowling attack, 4 bowlers is often going to be infeasible. England, South Africa and NZ tend towards it. India and Sri Lanka don't, but are heavily reliant on spin. The Windies are probably borderline, with Chris Gayle sometimes an all-rounder and sometimes not.

Even in the era of Warne, Australia swayed between four and five bowler attacks. I see no reason for the current side to be above that. I agree with backing McDonald, he ticked a lot of boxes before Sydney and continues to look very hand with the ball. The question is whether he can be a top six at Test level.

And if Jaques is a shot, then surely Symonds is too. It's scarcely possible for the selectors to make the right call on Symonds; if they pick him it's favouritism and ignorance, if they leave him out and it's all doom and gloom and misdirected pressure.

Of course, a 15 man squad is a big list. It's likely to see some overlaps. We may well see McDonald, Symonds, Jaques and Rogers all picked.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
My Australian XI for the first Test.

1. Chris Rogers
2. Simon Katich
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Michael Clarke
5. Michael Hussey
6. David Hussey
7. Brad Haddin
8. Bryce McGain
9. Ben Hilfenhaus
10. Mitchell Johnson
11. Pete Siddle

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
My side and squad

1. Hughes
2. Katich
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. Hussey
6. McDonald
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Siddle
10. McGain
11. Bollinger
Jaques
Hilfenhaus
Noffke/Hauritz
D Hussey/North

Don't know if we need 2 spinners in SA so Noffke could be a chance will also add a Clark like bowler. No Rogers cause the selectors don't like him and there is some issues in the Aussie side with him.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
My side and squad

1. Hughes
2. Katich
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. Hussey
6. McDonald
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Siddle
10. McGain
11. Bollinger
Jaques
Hilfenhaus
Noffke/Hauritz
D Hussey/North

Don't know if we need 2 spinners in SA so Noffke could be a chance will also add a Clark like bowler. No Rogers cause the selectors don't like him and there is some issues in the Aussie side with him.

Sounds good their syl. Not too sure on McGain but I guess this tour and the Ashes if he performs. Wouldn't mind taking Krejza or Hauritz though.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Hes definitely done enough to make the trip, it would be good if we went with 16 players to have the pace bowling covered but pretty sure they have said it is 14 or 15.

Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
Nope, Channel 9 never get away matches, they are always on FOX Sports.

But I saw this add today about a free-to-air channel which will have digital TV shows on it for free-to-air viewers. Not to sure on the full details yet though.

One. It's been around for ages. It's just a 24 hour sports channel by channel 10.

Golf, Tennis, Basketball, Baseball, NFL, IPL. A lot. But not international cricket.

http://www.tencorporate.com.au/libr...ports multi-channel ONE - 28 October 2008.pdf

Last edited:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Yea I remember that number. So that means no D Hussey or North. Fair enough I guess as you would want to give McDonald as much time to prove himself.

Yeah yours is a good squad. There will be One backup batsman and two backup bowlers plus the playing XI. In your case Jaques, Hilfy and Hauritz/Noffke. Krejza might have a shot at that last spot too.

McDonald won't be totally secure though. If he fails, or if selectors don't want him, Katich would drop to the middle order, leaving Jaques/Hughes to open. If Aussies ever lead the series they might do this to strengthen the batting and play more defensively. Especially if McGain proves to be effective, then McDonald's extra overs won't be needed so much. Katich has said he's happy to be a team player and bat wherever he's picked.

Users who are viewing this thread