St George's Park, Port Elizabeth

February 2008
Fri 1
14:30 local, 12:30 GMT 4th ODI - South Africa v West Indies
Kingsmead, Durban

Sun 3
10:00 local, 08:00 GMT 5th ODI - South Africa v West Indies
New Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg

Squad for Zimbabwe one-dayers Chris Gayle (capt), Dwayne Bravo, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Narsingh Deonarine, Fidel Edwards, Runako Morton, Rawl Lewis, Brenton Parchment, Darren Powell, Denesh Ramdin (wk), Ravi Rampaul, Darren Sammy, Marlon Samuels, Devon Smith, Jerome Taylor

Squad for South Africa Chris Gayle (capt), Dwayne Bravo, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Pedro Collins, Fidel Edwards, Daren Ganga, Rawl Lewis, Runako Morton, Brenton Parchment, Daren Powell, Denesh Ramdin, Darren Sammy, Marlon Samuels, Devon Smith, Jerome Taylor

Its going to be interesting to see how Chris Gayle handles the captaincy for the entire tour and especially in tests for the 1st time in his career. Personally I like Gayle more as a captain than Sarwan, Gayle is more aggressive while Sarwan is just to laid back and with Sarwan injured a most of the time Gayle might stay as captain of the West Indies if he does good in this tour. Also Dwayne Bravo has been named as the vice captain for the 5 ODIs against Zimbabwe he doesn’t have a lot of experience but I think that he can handle it.

As for the tests in South Africa I hope that it doesn’t turn out to be a white wash and hopefully the Windies can put up a fight. Once again they will depend on Chanderpaul to hold the middle order and offer leadership to the youngsters. Looking forward to seeing Darren Sammy play some more tests after his performance against England.

Last edited:

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hope this series attract more crowd than what has been against Kiwis. But then now with no Lara I dont think crowds would come to watch WI either.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
yea the only way more people would show up is if the Windies put up a fight and dont get killed in every test like the Kiwis. its gona be hard as South Africa are playing their best cricket in a while, but a new coach and maybe a new atitude can help the windies.

edgefan007

School Cricketer
i am a huge Windies fan & hope that Gayle & Chanderpaul both hit at least 1 ton each in the Tests with Bravo,Parchment,M. Samuels & Devon Smith scoring in the ODIs & T20s.

among the bowlers,i want fidel,powell & bravo to excel in ODIs & powell & sammy in Tests.

ivanvdm15

International Cricketer
i doubt it that this series will attrack more people because seriously the West Indies aren't a better team than New Zealand.

edgefan007

School Cricketer
My Team[minus Sarwan-for Tests,ODIs & T20s] :-

Gayle (c)
Devon Smith
S. Chanderpaul
M. Samuels
R. Morton
D. Bravo (V.C)
D. Ramdin (W.K)
D. Sammy
R. Lewis
D. Powell
F. Edwards.

12th - B. Parchment
P. Collins [Tests] /R. Rampaul
D. Ganga [Tests] /N. Deonarine
J. Taylor

My Reserves :-
A. Jaggernauth
R. Rampaul [for Tests]
P. Browne [Reserve W.K]

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
lol i hope not. last time these 2 sides played it was befoe the India tour of Windies and Zimbabwe got beat in every match i hope the same can happen again but who knows Zimbabwe did beat Australia in the 20/20.

Perm

School Cricketer
I bet it's comforting for Ravi Rampaul and Narsingh Deonarine that they are good enough to take on Zimbabwe, but not South Africa. Deonarine is absolute rubbish in OD cricket anyway, so his inclusion is baffling.

We've also seen how poor Darren Ganga is in limited overs cricket, yet he continues to be selected. It's not as though he's been on fire domestically, so it appears the only reason he's in the side is experience.

Brenton Parchment seems a moderate cricket, but his good form for Jamaica appears to have played heavily in the selectors mind. Over the last three year's he has been averaging 38.71 in List A games and he played a big part for his side in order to help them win the KFC Cup.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
I bet it's comforting for Ravi Rampaul and Narsingh Deonarine that they are good enough to take on Zimbabwe, but not South Africa. Deonarine is absolute rubbish in OD cricket anyway, so his inclusion is baffling.

We've also seen how poor Darren Ganga is in limited overs cricket, yet he continues to be selected. It's not as though he's been on fire domestically, so it appears the only reason he's in the side is experience.

Brenton Parchment seems a moderate cricket, but his good form for Jamaica appears to have played heavily in the selectors mind. Over the last three year's he has been averaging 38.71 in List A games and he played a big part for his side in order to help them win the KFC Cup.

he probably wont play in the ODIs in South Africa, he will only play in Tests like he did in the tour of England. Like you said he is not good enough to play ODIs but for now he is the best partner they can find for Gayle in tests.

I persoanlly like Lendl Simmons and i think that he should have been included in the ODIs for Zimbabwe, he is young and got plenty of potential. Also Keiron Pollard should be with the team for the tour of Africa.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
so rawl lewis will make his return to the west indies ODI squad and Fidel Edwards will not play in ODIs or atleast the 1st one. i like the option of having another spinner other than Gayle for the ODIs but Lewis did nothing in the past to deserve this spot and plus he is 33 i would have liked to see somebody younger in the squad. Rampaul will probably be the one left out if Lewis plays and west indies will go with, Sammy-Powell-Taylor-Lewis-Bravo and Gayle as bowling options.

btw can modd move this to the current tours and events sub-forum thanx

Last edited:

Perm

School Cricketer
he probably wont play in the ODIs in South Africa, he will only play in Tests like he did in the tour of England. Like you said he is not good enough to play ODIs but for now he is the best partner they can find for Gayle in tests.

I persoanlly like Lendl Simmons and i think that he should have been included in the ODIs for Zimbabwe, he is young and got plenty of potential. Also Keiron Pollard should be with the team for the tour of Africa.

He is one of the best batsmen that the West Indies posess. Technically superb with an excellent temperament, he is an ideal Test batsmen. Just a shame he hasn't been able to convert his domestic success to the highest level, as he seems perfectly suited to the longer format of the game. He has been included in the ODI squad, but I'm really hoping he doesn't play any games.

Shivnarine Chanderpaul is the best option to partner Gayle opening the batting in ODI cricket. Nobody else has the class, ability or record to do it. Simmons, Smith, Ganga are all poor limited overs batsmen and ideally shouldn't find themselves anywhere near a full strength West Indies ODI side at the moment. I would have also liked to see Kieron Pollard get some exposure, but I suppose he needs to get more cricket under his belt.

so rawl lewis will make his return to the west indies ODI squad and Fidel Edwards will not play in ODIs or atleast the 1st one. i like the option of having another spinner other than Gayle for the ODIs but Lewis did nothing in the past to deserve this spot and plus he is 33 i would have liked to see somebody younger in the squad. Rampaul will probably be the one left out if Lewis plays and west indies will go with, Sammy-Powell-Taylor-Lewis-Bravo and Gayle as bowling options.

btw can modd move this to the current tours and events sub-forum thanx

How on eath Dave Mohammed or Omari Banks weren't selected ahead of Rawl Lewis is absolutely beyond me. They both have superb records and are handy lower order batsmen too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread