Australian Football Thread

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
We won the double, bro. Both times against you tards too. THE CHAMPIONSHIP IN YOUR OWN BACKYARD AS WELL.

FTT.

mattfb added 2 Minutes and 48 Seconds later...

IT'S PICTURE TIME!

Champions.jpg

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Shoot me. How the fearsome tweak did we lose this after that semi leg :doh

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
From the second Melbourne equalised until Byun hit that penalty into the back of the net, I felt physically ill. I couldn't believe it when they missed that tap in. I almost vomited then and there.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Went to the Grand Final receiption today. Was awesome. Cove was out there in full voice. The best part was when the MC goes to our Manager: "Anything you want to say to these fans?" and we all start chanting: "FTT FTT FTT" and he just goes, "FTT!" in his funny accent. Classic.

Got photos with Bridge, Aloisi, Bolton, Cole, Corica and Vitislav (The manager) Was awesome.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I take it the Etihad stadium is in Melbourne? Because there were a ████ load of fans packed into it. Usually when I catch A League games the grounds are small and half empty so it's good to see such support for the final. Although I'm guessing there is a massive difference between support for Melbourne and Sydney compared to that of Queensland and Newcastle?

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Brisbane play in a huge stadium and only get around 7k or so. The capacity is like 50k+ Terrible atmosphere. Newcastle's stadium has a good atmosphere when they are winning. Sydney average around 14k, but the atmosphere is always good thanks to a good supporter group which fills the home end.

Melbourne get the best though, they get a lot of people out to their games. Wellington get good crowds, Perths are rising, Adelaides crowds are getting worse, Gold Coast are in the same boat as Brisbane, North Queenslands are fair small and Central Coasts are okay.

Still a lot of room for improvement.

Cricketdude

Chairman of Selectors
I take it the Etihad stadium is in Melbourne? Because there were a ████ load of fans packed into it. Usually when I catch A League games the grounds are small and half empty so it's good to see such support for the final. Although I'm guessing there is a massive difference between support for Melbourne and Sydney compared to that of Queensland and Newcastle?

Did you watch the final?... what you think of it?

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I caught the highlights as I wasn't up in time for it live. The quality of football isn't great but from highlights I've seen it looks quite a competitive league. Melbourne are clearly a league above the rest, I remember catching the back end of their 5-0 Grand Final win a few years ago. That's why I'm glad Sydney won, it seems they are a good match, even if Melbourne should've grabbed the win late.

Overall I would probably rank it ahead of a few football leagues that I'd prefer to watch, not because of the quality but because it's competitive and just completely different to that of the European leagues.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah, Melbourne dominated in the back half. I wouldn't say they are a league above us though. We beat them 3-0 on their own turf earlier this year, and dominated them 2-0 in Sydney on Valentines day. We played them 3 times (twice in Melbourne) before they scored against us this season.

This thread is awesome:
[Poll] Best Tifo of 2009/2010

Some of the best of Sydneys Tifos this season. The cove put in an amazing effort.

Cricketdude

Chairman of Selectors
I caught the highlights as I wasn't up in time for it live. The quality of football isn't great but from highlights I've seen it looks quite a competitive league. Melbourne are clearly a league above the rest, I remember catching the back end of their 5-0 Grand Final win a few years ago. That's why I'm glad Sydney won, it seems they are a good match, even if Melbourne should've grabbed the win late.

Overall I would probably rank it ahead of a few football leagues that I'd prefer to watch, not because of the quality but because it's competitive and just completely different to that of the European leagues.

Sydney have the better style. Much more European. Their coach has won Czech coach of the year for two years and he made Sydney go from 5th to winning the title without any massive changes to the team.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Like I say, I've not watched a lot so my opinion is somewhat limited. It looks like Melbourne have fallen a little in the last few years or other teams have caught up. Looking at the league table teams like Sydney, Wellington and Gold Coast are all up to Melbourne's level.

Also, to add to my point about competitiveness I notice that 5 of the 7 games in the finals series went to extra time or beyond. That's just incredible, you wouldn't get that in many other leagues around the world.

Users who are viewing this thread