Australian Tour of India, October 2010/11

I read on cricinfo quite recently that Ricky Ponting was saying AUS would possibly play 2 spinners in this series - with the likelihood of Smith playing a possibility:facepalm. Hopefully that was sick joke, since historically pace wins in India.

Best AUS XI once all are fit:

Katich
Watson
Ponting
M Hussey
Clarke
North
Haddin
Johnson
Hauritz
Bollinger
Hilfenhaus

Was he talking about ODI or Test? And two spinners could mean Smith in for North rather than a bowler.

Honestly on those flat tracks I reckon Australia would hammer India currently. There is no single bowler worth mentioning, even Khan is losing his wicket taking ability day by day. On the flip side Id back the Aussie seamers to take 20 wickets on Indian pitches every match, even with just a seam attack.

2 quick Tests and 2 solid wins might be a good boost for Australia pre-Ashes.

India have a serious bowling problem, who will be their attack in 4-5 years? They have no decent pace bowling prospect.

Why would you think they would make seamer friendly tracks?
They are going to make terrible unprepared pitches where the match will end under 3 days. The spinners will rule the roost.
ICC will go fine BCCI for making such terrible pitch. But will only be a slap on the wrist for a board like BCCI.

From an Indian point of view, the Test series is at least better than an insanely long seven match one day tournament which would have had all of us bored within a few days. The end result might turn out to be inconclusive, but nonetheless it's always refreshing to see the players of your national side don the white jersey after such a long period and face an opponent like Australia.

I read on cricinfo quite recently that Ricky Ponting was saying AUS would possibly play 2 spinners in this series - with the likelihood of Smith playing a possibility:facepalm. Hopefully that was sick joke, since historically pace wins in India.

Best AUS XI once all are fit:

Katich
Watson
Ponting
M Hussey
Clarke
North
Haddin
Johnson
Hauritz
Bollinger
Hilfenhaus
Is that HAURITZ in War's XI - wonders will never cease...:laugh Glad you didn't include Siddle though, I think that lad still has work to do.
Tests for sure. Smith for North is test team is a possibility in the coming months for sure. Butid say North's bowling is a bit more solid that Smith ATS. Smith bowling is getting way overhyped by the important people in AUS cricket.
North's bowling was so solid that he bowled us to a draw in Cardiff... But I agree that Smith's bowling isn't that great at present. However his bowling is probably almost as good as whoever we'd dig up as a 2nd spinner - plus he can bat in the top 7, plus he's got a LOT of potential. Smith's the obvious choice. It depends how attacking we want to be, North at 6 is more defensive selection, Smith at 6/7 is more attacking. I personally hope we go more attacking, but since these Tests come before the Ashes, we may decide to just go with our Ashes team (which would be North at 6) and try to limit any damage India might do to us.
Was he talking about ODI or Test? And two spinners could mean Smith in for North rather than a bowler.
Yeah Smith would have to bat at 6/7. Then you'd have Smith, Hauritz AND that would let us keep 3 quicks for Ponting to rely on, plus Watson to get some reverse. In India, against a good batting team, bowling on roads you probably need that many bowlers to have the variety and freshness to succeed.

Is that HAURITZ in War's XI - wonders will never cease...:laugh Glad you didn't include Siddle though, I think that lad still has work to do.

Ha well although i remain a big critic of Hauritz role in the test side. I always used to say once its a tour to the sub-continent you really have to play him. Although i'd like it to be Krejza again.

But come the 1st Ashes test in Brisbane i want the all pace attack. :cool:

North's bowling was so solid that he bowled us to a draw in Cardiff... But I agree that Smith's bowling isn't that great at present. However his bowling is probably almost as good as whoever we'd dig up as a 2nd spinner - plus he can bat in the top 7, plus he's got a LOT of potential. Smith's the obvious choice. It depends how attacking we want to be, North at 6 is more defensive selection, Smith at 6/7 is more attacking. I personally hope we go more attacking, but since these Tests come before the Ashes, we may decide to just go with our Ashes team (which would be North at 6) and try to limit any damage India might do to us.

Pace wins in India. The role of the spinner relly is the block up and end & be economical. I dont expect Hauritz bowling to run through India at any point. The 4 quicks who can reverse swing the ball (Hilfy, Bollinger & Watto - since Johnson doesn't reverse it) win be the main source of the 20 wickets. So Smith's or Norths bowling really shouldn't have any significance in those conditions (although it will be handy to have) - thus shouldn't be talked about.

Those two whichever plays @#6 should just focus on their batting.

Agree about Smith's bowling, its not quite there yet but being a leggie he provides variation to North's more safer bowling. Smith also adds a lot in the field and he can get the scoreboard moving if needed.

Agree about Smith's bowling, its not quite there yet but being a leggie he provides variation to North's more safer bowling. Smith also adds a lot in the field and he can get the scoreboard moving if needed.

Have you ever seen Smith bat in FC game?. If yes how do rate his ability to play spin?. Since if he is a bit suspect againts the turning ball, it could be a problem.

I've seen bits and pieces and from that I didn't see any weakness in his technique. He has no problem hitting the spinners so I suspect he picks them up alright but none of the domestic spinners are anywhere near the level of the International ones so the only way we are going to see if he has a weakness against them is in the ODI series coming up or against India.

Hehe already calling for his Test selection eh? :sarcasm

Tbh North has a bit of variation in his bowling, remember (iirc) the 1st ball he bowled in the Ashes was a bouncer :laugh

It should be right? I thought Border Gavaskar is any Tests between Indian and Aus

No it shouldn't be. 2 tests is not enough to determine who the trophy stays with. I think this will be named something else. India are due to tour Australia next December to defend the BG trophy.

They won't name the series something else as the BG trophy is played for in any Test series. I know its not fair to decide a series in 2 matches but that happens all the time sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread