Australian Tour of India, October 2010/11

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
As everyone is saying, we should prepare a absolute flat track in Bangalore where getting 1 wicket will average 200 runs.

Mohali ground record:
Played: 10
Result: 5 (4-1 to India)
Draw: 5
Result ratio: 50%

In the draws NZ were 251/7 chasing 374 to win in 1999
In 2005 India had Pakistan on mat before Akmal and Razzaq played brilliantly

And people forget the boring draws played at other so called crowd filling test venues. :sarcasm

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^I don't see why the track should be flat. India's retained the trophy already, so they can't lose the series. Shouldn't they be wanting another win to get their ranking points higher? I thought that was the point of this whole series, to solidify the #1 ranking.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
^I don't see why the track should be flat. India's retained the trophy already, so they can't lose the series. Shouldn't they be wanting another win to get their ranking points higher? I thought that was the point of this whole series, to solidify the #1 ranking.

I am not sure the BCCI would think like that. They wouldnt want a drawn series (1-1) and they would want India to win the series. A drawn series could dent into the rankings, whereas a 1-0 result wont make as much. They will look that way, though I dont want them to because I would risk a defeat in going for a victory.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Looks like Bollinger might be ready although will the selectors risk him breaking down again. I could see them picking Smith to replace Bollinger to strengthen the batting which is their usual excuse line.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Dang, so that was a great game. Who do I owe vCash? :p

Hoping for a nice, dry, turning-square pitch in Bangalore (unlikely to happen). ZaK was impressive. Don't know why Ponting didn't give Clarke an over or two--I guess he was afraid that with the runs he had to play with it was too big a gamble.

Gambhir and Ishant out for the 2nd Test right?

Can they scrap the 5 ODIs and put in two more tests? Kthxbye.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Dang, so that was a great game. Who do I owe vCash? :p

Hoping for a nice, dry, turning-square pitch in Bangalore (unlikely to happen). ZaK was impressive. Don't know why Ponting didn't give Clarke an over or two--I guess he was afraid that with the runs he had to play with it was too big a gamble.

Gambhir and Ishant out for the 2nd Test right?

Can they scrap the 5 ODIs and put in two more tests? Kthxbye.

I wouldnt mind 500K vcash for that lunch in my favorite restaurant.:laugh

We have only 3 ODI's after this series, not 5. I too wish they can scrap that completely and have one more test. But we need more ODI practice before the World Cup next year which is only 5-6 months away and also to be played in the same conditions as this series.

Flame_Blader1

Club Cricketer
ODI Practice games? Gimme a break we've played more than enough in sub-continent conditions. I really don't understand how playing a few ODI games like 4 months before the WC is gonna help,lol. It's the other teams that need practice not us =P

really looking forward to the next test. Toss will be crucial if it's a typical Bangalore wicket. Looking for a nice crowd as well... in 08 Mohali had embarrassing crowd when Sachin got 12k runs. Lets hope there is a good turn out for his 14k =D

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Looking at our squad, I'm excited by the ODI series to take a look at some of the new players and Warner's return. From what I was reading Warner and Marsh will open with Smith and Hopes fighting for the all rounder spot and Ferguson slotting in for Ponting.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Don't know why Ponting didn't give Clarke an over or two--I guess he was afraid that with the runs he had to play with it was too big a gamble.

The problem with Clarke, and Katich too, is that you never know when they are fit to bowl. Clarke's back and Katich's shoulder are recurring, unsolvable injuries as far as I know. Fans and commentators bellow loudly for Katich in particular to be given the ball, but you just never know how much practise he's been getting in and how he's feeling. If both were fit to bowl all the time, then a bit more credence could be given to my old mate War's 4 fast bowler theory :p

Also, I think North is probably a bit better than both. Maybe not as good at striking as Katich, but won't deliver too many long hops like Katich does. Plus Northy needs to contribute somehow so Ricky probably thought some wickets would help...

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
Looking at our squad, I'm excited by the ODI series to take a look at some of the new players and Warner's return. From what I was reading Warner and Marsh will open with Smith and Hopes fighting for the all rounder spot and Ferguson slotting in for Ponting.

Nannes should have been picked ahead of one of the young bowlers or McKay without a doubt.

D Hussey also should have been instead for either one of Marsh or Warner.

Very poor selections leaving them out.

Num

Club Cricketer
Nannes should have been picked ahead of one of the young bowlers or McKay without a doubt.

Maybe for Warner, but not for Marsh.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Looks like Bollinger might be ready although will the selectors risk him breaking down again. I could see them picking Smith to replace Bollinger to strengthen the batting which is their usual excuse line.

If Doug dont play chances of winning decreases even more.

Smith has to play however, replacing Hauritz. I would just keep North for this test, since his offpsin will be needed to fill in some overs. But of course Hughes should replace him for the 1st Ashes test.

Num said:
Maybe for Warner, but not for Marsh.

Well TBF. It wouldn't bother me much which of them was picked, but certainly not both of them. Since Paine has to open.

AUS need a new selection panel ASAP..

aussie1st

Retired Administrator

Dussey had his chance and didn't take them and it's not like he set the world on fire in the FRC last season. Hodge had a much better season. Nannes hasn't set the world on fire in the 50 over format either. So not fussed that neither are picked and can't blame the selectors for not picking them.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors

I agree with this wholeheartedly. If there's an injury during the World Cup, surely the selectors will be ringing Nannes before Pattinson or Starc. Warner has to be 4th/5th choice opener behind Watson, Haddin, Marsh, Paine and maybe even Hopes. Why do we need him? Like the young quicks, it's good experience sure, but I can't see him going to the World Cup. D.Hussey may not be too high up the pecking order either with Ferguson back, but I think he's more likely to make the WC rather than Warner. That's what it should all be about at present. Who are our best players going to be in 6 months time, and how can we get them playing well?

AUS need a new selection panel ASAP..

Yes and no. They've sure made some clangers: Beau Casson (although to be fair Stuart MacGill was bowling absolute garbage in that series, it's just Casson doesn't have the mindset to be a Test cricketer), White in India '08, Symonds over Watson for 08/09 and the continued charity towards North. But on the flipside I also like how they've quickly identified young players and got them involved, like Smith, Hughes, Warner, Siddle - none had played a lot of cricket before selection and most of them look the goods for the future (I'd like to see Siddle play more FC cricket first though). Previously Australia had a real problem blooding young players: it was Ponting, Clarke and uhhhh...Brett Lee for about 10 years there.

Users who are viewing this thread