Batting issues - playing through the off side

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Folks,

Starting a new thread as I believe this issue warrants a separate thread. I'm playing Cricket 22 and am facing issues similar to the ones we faced in DBC 17 where the game was released without a proper cover drive. At the moment I'm seeing similar behavior with cricket 22 where I'm not able to drive the ball between Cover and point. When I cover drive the ball it goes through extra cover region, and no matter what I try I can't drive the ball through the traditional Cover region - anywhere between Cover and Point region. I either hit the ball to the Point/Backward Point fielder, or I hit the ball through the extra-coverish region.

To test my theory, I played a match as England against Australia with England team consisting solely of right handers. I kept the difficulty level at Medium as I was able to bat comfortably at that difficulty level. And you can see the Cricket 22 wagon wheel. I was only able to drive the ball through a narrow area around extra cover region.

I then switched to Cricket 19 to see if I had missed the same in the earlier game. I launched a match as India vs Australia with Indian team full of right handers. Again, I tried to play as many shots through the off side (front foot drives) and you can see the corresponding Cricket 19 wagon wheel below. It's clear that Cricket 19 had a lot more variety of off side shots than what is present in Cricket 22. And probably the issue is linked to inability to play a defensive shot on the off side as was mentioned by @blockerdave.

Additional info: I played regular shots and did not play any aggressive, or lofted shots, for the test. I would love to hear what your experience is and whether you're seeing similar results on your end. Also paging @MattW and @HBK619 so they can take a closer look and try it out themselves. Hopefully this could be addressed in a patch.

Also, another thing I noticed with batting through the off side - the off side shots are not as powerful as the leg side ones, similar to how things were in some of the earlier iterations of DBC series. You can easily play pull & hook shots but even an ideally timed shot through the off side struggles to make it to the boundary. And glide to 3rd man are way less powerful than what it was in Cricket 19. Ideally, if you add the leg side shots from Cricket 22 in Cricket 19, and fix the fielding & field sets, we would have a much better game.

Edit: The issue seems to be mostly prevalent to pacers. Against spinners you can sometimes drive through the cover region are but not on a consistent basis.

Attachments

• Cricket_22.jpg
    Cricket_22.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 66
  • Cricket_19.jpg
    Cricket_19.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Is anyone able to drive the ball between Cover fielder and Point? I've tried doing so again post the latest patch on PS4 but as mentioned in OP all my cover drives go left of Cover fielder, i.e. through extra-cover region. I'm unable to drive the ball in the arc between Cover fields and Point.

To elaborate when I bat as a right hander, and the AI has selected a field with Mid Off, Cover and Point fielders, I'm unable to drive the ball between Cover and Point no matter what I do. All my cover drives either end up to the Cover fielder or to the left of Covers, i.e. through extra-cover region between Mid Off and Cover region. Essentially the region between Cover and Point is inaccessible at the moment very similar to how DBC 17 was at launch, and it's taken a lot of fun out of batting for me.

Edit: I used standard/regular shots without using triggers or aggressive shots, as I believe we should be able to drive the ball through covers without relying on aggressive shots or triggers.

Last edited:

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
I have been able to but only with aggressive ground shots. Every other regular shot ends up at extra cover.

That's what I'm seeing as well. I can't play standard/regular shots & drives through covers, which IMO is a concern. You shouldn't be playing aggressive shots, or need to use triggers, just to drive a ball through the cover region.

Thanks for confirming and I appreciate it!

Abcd9994

Club Captain
Folks,

Starting a new thread as I believe this issue warrants a separate thread. I'm playing Cricket 22 and am facing issues similar to the ones we faced in DBC 17 where the game was released without a proper cover drive. At the moment I'm seeing similar behavior with cricket 22 where I'm not able to drive the ball between Cover and point. When I cover drive the ball it goes through extra cover region, and no matter what I try I can't drive the ball through the traditional Cover region - anywhere between Cover and Point region. I either hit the ball to the Point/Backward Point fielder, or I hit the ball through the extra-coverish region.

To test my theory, I played a match as England against Australia with England team consisting solely of right handers. I kept the difficulty level at Medium as I was able to bat comfortably at that difficulty level. And you can see the Cricket 22 wagon wheel. I was only able to drive the ball through a narrow area around extra cover region.

I then switched to Cricket 19 to see if I had missed the same in the earlier game. I launched a match as India vs Australia with Indian team full of right handers. Again, I tried to play as many shots through the off side (front foot drives) and you can see the corresponding Cricket 19 wagon wheel below. It's clear that Cricket 19 had a lot more variety of off side shots than what is present in Cricket 22. And probably the issue is linked to inability to play a defensive shot on the off side as was mentioned by @blockerdave.

Additional info - I played regular shots and did not play any aggressive, or lofted shots, for the test. I would love to hear what your experience is and whether you're seeing similar results on your end. Also paging @MattW and @HBK619 so they can take a closer look and try it out themselves. Hopefully this could be addressed in a patch.

Also, another thing I noticed with batting through the off side - the off side shots are not as powerful as the leg side ones, similar to how things were in some of the earlier iterations of DBC series. You can easily play pull & hook shots but even an ideally timed shot through the off side struggles to make it to the boundary. And glide to 3rd man are way less powerful than what it was in Cricket 19. Ideally, if you add the leg side shots from Cricket 22 in Cricket 19, and fix the fielding & field sets, we would have a much better game.

Folks,

Additional info - I played regular shots and did not play any aggressive, or lofted shots, for the test. I would love to hear what your experience is and whether you're seeing similar results on your end. Also paging @MattW and @HBK619 so they can take a closer look and try it out themselves. Hopefully this could be addressed in a patch.

Is anyone able to drive the ball between Cover fielder and Point? I've tried doing so again post the latest patch on PS4 but as mentioned in OP all my cover drives go left of Cover fielder, i.e. through extra-cover region. I'm unable to drive the ball in the arc between Cover fields and Point.

To elaborate when I bat as a right hander, and the AI has selected a field with Mid Off, Cover and Point fielders, I'm unable to drive the ball between Cover and Point no matter what I do. All my cover drives either end up to the Cover fielder or to the left of Covers, i.e. through extra-cover region between Mid Off and Cover region. Essentially the region between Cover and Point is inaccessible at the moment very similar to how DBC 17 was at launch, and it's taken a lot of fun out of batting for me.
Hey, after reading your post I tested this and found that this is indeed the case. This is what I found out:

On arcade controls, it is extremely difficult to find the gap between cover and point. I say difficult and not impossible because it depends on the delivery and the shot animation played. If the batter executes a front foot cover drive/ back foot punch, the ball goes to the cover fielder. Sometimes, when the ball is far from the batter, the game executes an animation that is different from cover drive/ back foot punch. It looks like the batter is throwing their hands / bat at the ball. When that happens, the ball goes in the direction that the user intended it to go.

I hope BA knows about it and are working to correct this issue :/

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Hey, after reading your post I tested this and found that this is indeed the case. This is what I found out:

On arcade controls, it is extremely difficult to find the gap between cover and point. I say difficult and not impossible because it depends on the delivery and the shot animation played. If the batter executes a front foot cover drive/ back foot punch, the ball goes to the cover fielder. Sometimes, when the ball is far from the batter, the game executes an animation that is different from cover drive/ back foot punch. It looks like the batter is throwing their hands / bat at the ball. When that happens, the ball goes in the direction that the user intended it to go.

I hope BA knows about it and are working to correct this issue :/

Thanks for the info. I'm playing with Pro controls (left stick for footwork, and right one for shot direction & timing), and I'm really struggling at the moment. I've tried all the difficulties - went down to Easy as well to make sure I wasn't missing anything - and tried pushing right stick in different directions. For a right hander when I push right stick to 3'0 clock (Batting Far camera angle), the ball either goes to point or straight to Cover fielder. And when I try other positions on the right stick, i.e. 1'o clock or 2'o clock position, I either end up hitting the ball through the gap between mid off & covers (i.e. extra cover region) or the ball goes to Cover fielder.

And I've tried playing the shot to different delivery types, i.e. varying line & length outside off, and I'm unable to hit a pretty common scoring area in cricket using standard/regular shots (i.e. without relying on aggressive shots or trigger buttons).

Abcd9994

Club Captain
Thanks for the info. I'm playing with Pro controls (left stick for footwork, and right one for shot direction & timing), and I'm really struggling at the moment. I've tried all the difficulties - went down to Easy as well to make sure I wasn't missing anything - and tried pushing right stick in different directions. For a right hander when I push right stick to 3'0 clock (Batting Far camera angle), the ball either goes to point or straight to Cover fielder. And when I try other positions on the right stick, i.e. 1'o clock or 2'o clock position, I either end up hitting the ball through the gap between mid off & covers (i.e. extra cover region) or the ball goes to Cover fielder.

And I've tried playing the shot to different delivery types, i.e. varying line & length outside off, and I'm unable to hit a pretty common scoring area in cricket using standard/regular shots (i.e. without relying on aggressive shots or trigger buttons).
Thanks a ton for catching this friend :) This, added to the fact that the pitch marker can no longer be seen before the bowler has released the ball (on Arcade) makes the batting difficult and imo not as enjoyable as Cricket 19.
Hope BA corrects this. I understand on pro controls, it might feel a bit tricky to be 100% sure. On arcade mode, in order to test this, I had explicitly pushed the left stick in the gap before the bowler bowled :D. And then I did the same on Cricket 19 to compare. I actually have recorded footage of that test as well, where I have compared this to Cricket 19. Do let me know in case you want to see.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Thanks a ton for catching this friend :) This, added to the fact that the pitch marker can no longer be seen before the bowler has released the ball (on Arcade) makes the batting difficult and imo not as enjoyable as Cricket 19.
Hope BA corrects this. I understand on pro controls, it might feel a bit tricky to be 100% sure. On arcade mode, in order to test this, I had explicitly pushed the right stick in the gap before the bowler bowled :D. And then I did the same on Cricket 19 to compare. I actually have recorded footage of that test as well, where I have compared this to Cricket 19. Do let me know in case you want to see.

Thanks a lot for confirming and I did the same thing as well... I jumped back on Cricket 19 and found I could indeed drive between Cover fielder and Point in the game. I do this test every game post DBC 17 which launched without cover drive in the game. And Cricket 22 is similar - the only difference is there's more variety in shots and you can easily play shots through the leg side so this issue doesn't get noticed easily.

But if you're a batting aficionado, who cares about how and in which area you score the runs in, and pores over wagon wheels, this issue shows up easily. Please do reach out to Big Ant and post a bug. I've done so and the more they hear from others, easier it would be to get the issue resolved.

Harigoks

County Cricketer
So this is not a problem when we face spinners, right? I haven't faced a lot of spinner yet. Just wanted to be sure :)

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Fyi guys... Have raised a ticket to BA on this. We should see something coming up :) haven't noticed it after the patch on Friday though....

Appreciate the help @Harigoks. I'm on PS4 and re-tested after the latest patch which hit PS4 yesterday and was still having difficulties playing through the covers against pacers. I can ping extra-cover region, Cover fielder, and the Point & Backward-point fielder but anything in the arc between Cover fielder and Point against pacers is still a challenge.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Morning chaps!

Not entirely sure if this is of use or not, but after picking up the game and being aware of this thread, one of the first things I did in a 10 over play around was to try and thrash some shots through the offside to see if they looked believable or not. I'm on a base PS4, for reference.

Does this support the things you were finding? I would say the shots from that clip are (in order) extra cover, point, maybe cover/extra cover, cover (tho with poor fielding), point, extra cover.

I did have this one that went to the man at short cover, which I've posted elsewhere, but it means you must be able to hit the ball in that direction to pick him out, right?

Thanks

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
Experiencing same thing I'll try list the issues I've noticed so far

-cover drives almost all going to extra cover
-square cut doesn't exist, if it does its an anomaly
-playing the ball square also doesn't exist although it does go square sometimes you get cover drive animation and ball always going to point
-offside shots seem weak in general or just badly implemented well timed suffering from EA Cricket syndrome
-cover drive animation is also coming out for cut shots at times
-Bowled to AI offside only and they can't find the gaps either

The only way to sometimes get runs is trigger shots, batting isn't fun at all.

@cricket_online shall I buy C19?

Users who are viewing this thread