Tutorial Batting Tips

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I posted a few times in the how are you going thread about how hard it is to hit the 50mph medium pacers. Mike Hussey destroyed me as I absolutely could not time anything. If I tried to play later I was too late etc.
Sorting the bowling speeds has actually made the game easier :p

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Its all about timing, I'm the reverse I seem to struggle to time the quick men but thats probably cause I keep chasing the good length wide balls. Before I did my patch I could score pretty freely off Collingwood especially if he bowled the shorter ball.

shirazu

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Collingwood just destroys me. I can play the spinners because it's the same pace, just never play late or it goes to the keeper 75%, but Collingwood throws in that slower ball and the ridiculous slow bouncer and I mistime my shot straight to the fielder every time.
My advice is to play the square drive and clip off the pads square rather than the shot past cover. There's big gaps in the fields that the CPU tends to use and these shots go for 4 every time even on hard without using the lofted shot.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
One thing that does help against the slower bowlers is playing the short balls off the front foot not the back foot.

daspand

School Cricketer
When do u hit the ball ? In blic there was a speed meter so u cud see if the ball is fast or slow, srsly how do u judge the speed in ashes cricket 09.

Im starting to hate this game, infact with all its bugs and pathetic gameplay system , im starting to like blic better.

OzonePig

School Cricketer
Avoiding stumpings

How do you do it after advancing to clobber a spinner and missing? I get done often (ps3 version) but can't get back in me crease

Sidd19

School Cricketer
when he is going to just throw the ball hit the agreesive shot button playing spinner is not so tought but if i make a perfect shot i still get caught out

D

Dutch

I can highly recommend the legends mode training program. The ability to move in the crease, advance and play manual back foot and front foot shots greatly increases your ability to stick around for a while longer and build a score. I am thoroughly enjoying the possibilities of playing shots all around the field and carefully building an innings. My openers are pretty tough to get out these days!:)

Cricketislife

School Cricketer
Hi
Can anybody tell me, if USB joystick is supported by Ashs 2009 in PC? I am having a 8 button joystick controller, but my batsman never hits the ball. I tried all the keys. Please help me if you know the setting or combination to hit the ball?

D

Dutch

Hi
Can anybody tell me, if USB joystick is supported by Ashs 2009 in PC? I am having a 8 button joystick controller, but my batsman never hits the ball. I tried all the keys. Please help me if you know the setting or combination to hit the ball?

Yes, USB joystick is supported. Can you access the game with the joystick, I mean move through the menu's etcetra? You might need to callibrate your joystick in control panel....or get yourself an Xbox 360 PC controller. Response time is far quicker and works like a treat. The batting should happen very easily pressing button 1, 2, 3 or 4 so it does sound like your joystick is an ex-joystick. ;)

locherbread

School Cricketer
About giving up on Ashes 2009 as I'm rotten at batting, did the tutorial and completed it no problems but as soon as I got out on the pitch I get destroyed, heck I went the Asian XL team against Kenya on Hard level 5 overs to try unlocking the stadium but whenever they bat they just score 4's and 6's like they are going out of fashion, I try to mix all different types of shots but nothing works and it is extremely disheartening..

Brook

Club Captain
The training seems to be on easy mode, so easy to hard might be too much of a step up.

madan535

School Cricketer
How to play frontput shoot
means come down the track and hit like we have in cricket 07 by EA:banana2

piyumy

School Cricketer
can someone help me i got the ps3 version of ashes 09 today and i seem to do well with the seam bwolers i get to around 1-70 of 28 overs and then the spinner comes and and knock me over for about 130. I need some desperate help with playing spin bowling i always get edges to the keeper and edges to the slips.
any help is much appreciated

Play your shots little earlier(Bowl in-the-air, at just below your knee height) against Spinners.

piyumy added 7 Minutes and 19 Seconds later...

means come down the track and hit like we have in cricket 07 by EA:banana2[/QUOTE

First Complete Legends Mode. :spy

You'll know how to get the batsman at front-foot. :banana2

piyumy added 6 Minutes and 49 Seconds later...

About giving up on Ashes 2009 as I'm rotten at batting, did the tutorial and completed it no problems but as soon as I got out on the pitch I get destroyed, heck I went the Asian XL team against Kenya on Hard level 5 overs to try unlocking the stadium but whenever they bat they just score 4's and 6's like they are going out of fashion, I try to mix all different types of shots but nothing works and it is extremely disheartening..

Read my post my id is piyumy. It will help you out.

You have to play early in the innings like, While you're batting as you do not want to win. Means avoid lofted shots(Play only when you get FREE HIT). Rely on attack shots and also defensive shots once a while when there is no close-In fielders.

D

Dutch

Play your shots little earlier(Bowl in-the-air, at just below your knee height) against Spinners.

piyumy added 7 Minutes and 19 Seconds later...

means come down the track and hit like we have in cricket 07 by EA:banana2[/QUOTE

First Complete Legends Mode. :spy

You'll know how to get the batsman at front-foot. :banana2

piyumy added 6 Minutes and 49 Seconds later...

Read my post my id is piyumy. It will help you out.

You have to play early in the innings like, While you're batting as you do not want to win. Means avoid lofted shots(Play only when you get FREE HIT). Rely on attack shots and also defensive shots once a while when there is no close-In fielders.

I agree.

The trick for me is to have the patience to build the innings. I am posting much more competetive scores even though my run-rate in the beginning is only 3 or 4 but I can stil end up with a realistic 160 or 180 in a twenty over game by seeing of the main attack and getting used to the pitch and conditions and possible lag and the type of bowler I am dealing with; is it yorkerman, shiftycursorman, wideandhorridman,
bowl-strauss-at-five-miles-an-hour-two-metres-behind-the-stumps-man.

That last species is particularly high on my list of "Things To Make Extinct This Week". :)

Users who are viewing this thread