Best Express Pace Bowler

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I don't want to argue with the pros and cons with bowling fast and disregarding accuracy to some extent.

Simple question, who is the best express pace bowler.

There is not going to be a poll yet, simply state who you think is/was the best express pace bowler in tests and ODIs (can be different people, can be the same) and why. They have to have played in the 1990s or later. as comparing different eras is tedious. The only qualification for express pace is someone who outpaced batsman with minimal pitch assistance and/or hit 90mph consistantly on their day.

They are an integral member of each team, vital on dosile surfaces with their yorker and vicious bouncer and crucial in creating collapses out of nowhere and winning games out of the blue. They are also needed in snipping off the tail (nice metaphor) who Kumble and Sreesanth (with the help of RP and Zaheer) showed can be nuisances.

Last edited:

Animator!

School Cricketer
Currently;
Brett Lee.

In the past it could be any from; Thompson, Lillie, Holding, Akram and a host of others.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Quite clearly me.

But it has to be Bond. He's far more controlled than the rest, he's just really unlucky with injuries. I'm talking in current terms btw. I could pretend as if I knew shedloads about previous fast bowlers like most people do but i'd be lying, as me not being alive hampered me seeing these in the flesh.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
Of old, i reckon it'd be Thommo, or Lillee, but at the moment it'd have to be the double team (wierdly both down-under lads) Lee and Bond! Akhtar would be in there but for his action which i dont like one bit, and he is a cheater!

Another one would be Lasith Malinga, but again, his action, although legal, is something i dont like.

Almost_Austwick

International Captain
They have to have played in the 1990s or later. as comparing different eras is tedious.

In the past it could be any from; Thompson, Lillie, Holding, Akram and a host of others.
;)

I'd go with Allan Donald, had pace, venom and a great mental attitude. Just think of that spell against Atherton, proper cricket.

Last edited:

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Currently;
Brett Lee.

Why is it Brett Lee? Please don't just post names, argue your case please.

I don't want past, as said earlier, 1990s or later please.

Animator!

School Cricketer
Pace, control, he knows how to swing the ball and can control the ball. Even the white ball which is something others have struggled with. Having said that, I forgot about Bond.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
My explainations as to why i'd choose Lee/Bond would be, they're both cornerstones for there international sides. They are both used to get crucial wickets and with thier 95PMPH+ pace they usually get wickets, and swing at nearly 100MPH is deadly, and both have been known to extract it.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Shane Bond if he could regain the pace he had.

He has control, pace and is a wicket-taker. What else could you possibly want?

Then again, you can't rely on a bowler that keeps breaking down so Lee. Aggression, commitment, pace and a wicket-taker.

I would have chosen Akhtar but he lacks commitment in my eyes.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
My explainations as to why i'd choose Lee/Bond would be, they're both cornerstones for there international sides. They are both used to get crucial wickets and with thier 95PMPH+ pace they usually get wickets, and swing at nearly 100MPH is deadly, and both have been known to extract it.

Some would argue that Shoaib Akhtar is the best because he is generally accepted as the quickest of the lot and his yorker and slower ball (and mixture of the two) surpass flat pitches, something which you want most express pace bowlers to do.

What do you say to that?

Surprised Dale Steyn has not been mentioned either. Having recently (last two years) been timed at 96.2mph, he is definately one of the quickest in the world.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
I wouldn't really class Malinga as express though. His action is deceptive, it makes it look as though he's bowling faster than he is when really, he bowls the same pace as a James Anderson or a Matt Roberts...

manee

Chairman of Selectors
I wouldn't really class Malinga as express though. His action is deceptive, it makes it look as though he's bowling faster than he is when really, he bowls the same pace as a James Anderson

I'd say he is a shade quicker than Jimmy. That being said, you are right about how deceptive his action is, it makes his slower ball that much better.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Surprised Dale Steyn has not been mentioned either. Having recently (last two years) been timed at 96.2mph, he is definately one of the quickest in the world.

He doesn't consistently bowl at that though does he? he settles for speeds of 85 to 90mph. Just because you bowl one 95mph delivery every 10 overs doesn't make you express. You have to sustain it.

Almost_Austwick

International Captain
Just to add my case for Donald, his stats were 330 wickets at 22.25 in tests and 272 at 21.78 in ODI's. Strike rates were below 50 and 32 respectively.

Was also known as white lightning, which despite being a brand of tramps' cider, is a top nickname.

Also remained surprisingly fit during his career only breaking down during the latter stages, which was mostly due to being over bowled by various South African captains.

Was also able to hit over 95mph at his peak with an average of around 90/1mph.

Last edited:

manee

Chairman of Selectors
He doesn't consistently bowl at that though does he? he settles for speeds of 85 to 90mph. Just because you bowl one 95mph delivery every 10 overs doesn't make you express. You have to sustain it.

Fair point that, you could also argue that South African bowlers have a speed gun advantage with the speed guns in South Africa seemingly showing speeds about 5mph faster than they are. (Brett Lee: 99.9mph, Shoaib Akhtar: 100.2mph* and Sreesanth: 95mph all achieved in South Africa).

*Not 100% sure about that.

This is 1990s and onwards, Wasim and Waqar both seemed pretty sharp with both outpacing more batsman than ever before and since with their pace and late swing.

Users who are viewing this thread