Best innings by a batsman in a losing cause

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I dont think they would have sealed the victory even if he wasn't given out, the target was a massive one.

The way Sanga was going at the time and the way he was taking up allot of the strike and Malinga was actually looking really good at the other end I have no doubt Sanga was going to bring them home. I never saw the Aussies look so desperate and scramble so much around the field.

P

pcfan123

Even before the Malinga partnership there were 3 ducks, 2 of them in the late middle order. Just watch the highlights, Sanga was dominating every single bowler. The Aussies were clueless and a clueless Rudi ended the fun :noway

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I remember watching that Test. You just got the feeling that he was going to pull off something very special. It was a shocker that he got too.

Robelinda

International Coach
Sanga's innings was definitely not a case of batsman's fail.......unlike some other guys who ran away and couldnt take the pressure of McKay's amazing skillfull bowling.....

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I haven't seen any great innings than this yet :hpraise

I dont think any innings can beat this

How about if Sachin had actually stayed in until the end???? Then India might have actually won... actually they definitely should have. They needed 19 off 3 overs when he got out. Sure the 175 was an impressive score but it was a flat pitch and a small ground against an attack with no legendary bowlers and he threw it away with victory in sight. That's not a great innings. Good but far from great to me.

Anyway, the best innings in a losing cause for me is one that no one will remember (I don't either:p):
Len Hutton 202* v WI in 1950.

WI made 503 in the first before England were skittled twice. England made 344 in the first innings, so Hutton made most of the runs while carrying his bat. Then in the 2nd dig they only managed 103. It had rained midway through the first innings of England's making the wicket very tricky to bat on. It was death by spin as the great duo of Ramadhin and Valentine as well as John Goddard's offies took all 20 wickets. Valentine had 10 for the match.
Scorecard:
4th Test: England v West Indies at The Oval, Aug 12-16, 1950 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com
Report:
Wisden - ENGLAND v WEST INDIES 1950

Mike23

Associate Cricketer
The way Sanga was going at the time and the way he was taking up allot of the strike and Malinga was actually looking really good at the other end I have no doubt Sanga was going to bring them home. I never saw the Aussies look so desperate and scramble so much around the field.

The time sanga got out they needed 140 odd to win with only 2 wickets remaining so realistically speaking victory was never in sight.

Mike23 added 2 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

Even before the Malinga partnership there were 3 ducks, 2 of them in the late middle order. Just watch the highlights, Sanga was dominating every single bowler. The Aussies were clueless and a clueless Rudi ended the fun :noway

Yeah 3 ducks, one of them was Mahela, had he scored a fifty atleast to go with the hundred in the first innings there would've been more chances of winning the match.

Mike23 added 2 Minutes and 21 Seconds later...

Sanga's innings was definitely not a case of batsman's fail.......unlike some other guys who ran away and couldnt take the pressure of McKay's amazing skillfull bowling.....

Indeed it was. Very clever of him to slip in the slower one, besides that was a quite reckless shot to play and sachin is not known for his innovation.

Mike23 added 6 Minutes and 44 Seconds later...

Anyway, the best innings in a losing cause for me is one that no one will remember (I don't either:p):
Len Hutton 202* v WI in 1950.]

That was an amazing knock.The west indies had only a lead of 159 how come england had to follow on?

P

pcfan123

It may not seem that way on paper but I watched every single ball of that Test match and while Sanga was there, there was a definite chance of victory. It just seemed like one of those days when a 507 target would go down, everything was going Sangas way, chance less innings and mountains of boundries all around the wicket.

hMarka added 1 Minutes and 53 Seconds later...

I particularly remember how quickly he got from 100 to 180 odd, it was mostly boundries along the ground too both sides of the wicket.

Mike23

Associate Cricketer
It may not seem that way on paper but I watched every single ball of that Test match and while Sanga was there, there was a definite chance of victory. It just seemed like one of those days when a 507 target would go down, everything was going Sangas way, chance less innings and mountains of boundries all around the wicket.

hMarka added 1 Minutes and 53 Seconds later...

I particularly remember how quickly he got from 100 to 180 odd, it was mostly boundries along the ground too both sides of the wicket.

As you saw the match i'll take your word for it then!:D

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Tendulkar's century vs Pakistan in Chennai, when we lost by 12 runs. Heartbreaking loss but that was the match that got me into cricket. India vs Pakistan, a great venue, a Tendulkar masterclass but it was the same 'ole case of the 90s - Team India was just Team Tendulkar. Can't believe that is still the case to a certain extent today, with Tendulkar's 175 (You can't expect a man to chase down such a ginormous total all by himself), India vs Sri Lanka in the final of the 05 (iirc) Asia Cup... there are plenty of heartbreaking Tendulkar innings'.

You'd think his greatness would rub off on some of the players eventually. They never gave him support when it mattered most.

Sanga's 192 was awesome as well. There's an especially good Youtube montage - 'Waltz Sangakkara'. That innings was truly a waltz, he was just at ease. One of the most graceful batsman I have ever seen. Sanga is amazing.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
The time sanga got out they needed 140 odd to win with only 2 wickets remaining so realistically speaking victory was never in sight.

140 odd with one of the best batsman in cricket on top of his game carting the attack all over the place. After Sanga got out Malinga went after the ball and hits some sixes and fours but there is no way he would have done that if Sangga was still there.

Mike23

Associate Cricketer
140 odd with one of the best batsman in cricket on top of his game carting the attack all over the place. After Sanga got out Malinga went after the ball and hits some sixes and fours but there is no way he would have done that if Sangga was still there.

Yeah i agree he was on top of his game but still it was a big ask from him and Malinga went after the ball because he had nothing to lose.I would have loved to see them notch up their first win in Australia but it wasn't meant to be.

irottev

School Cricketer
Lara has played a bunch.

In ODIs Hayden's 180odd was pretty amazing. Never woulda expected Aussies to lose thatv game.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Sachin didnt throw anything away during that knock of 175. It could have been a case of Australia getting lucky. Sachin didnt play the ball straight to the fielder (for it to be called as 'throwing away'). It was not a easy catch that the keeper took (he ran a long way to his left to take the catch to dismiss Sachin).

An innings in a losing cause means that the player could still have made a mistake but still the innings overall was great. In that sense, that 175 knock was an awesome one. And I still maintain Sachin didnt throw it away. He could have made a mistake there, but it was not throwing it away.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Lara had a whole bunch of good ones, 226 vs Australia at Adelaide.
196 at Port of Spain, 176 at Bridgetown both against South Africa.
221 vs Sri Lanka in Colombo just a few of the many. Shows how much the man carried the team, all those big scores and all them in loses. One man cant do it all.

Robelinda

International Coach
Well, this thread highlights the difference between a great innings while chasing a total, and a great innings while setting a total but still losing.

Users who are viewing this thread