Best Side Of July 2007-Oct 2008

Which will be the best test side in 2008? and why?

• Total voters

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I am surprised SA are so far down some peoples' lists with their bowling attack
their bowling attack is a bit old with the likes of an ageing Pollock and Kallis. If Harris or Petersen can really shine through then they will look like a decent package. Nel and Ntini are up there with the best, now it's just for the spinners and some young quicks to perform and SA will be one of the best bowling sides again...

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Collectively, they were by far the best bowling attack in 2006. They ALL fired. Their spinners are poor but their pacers usually make up for it

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Yes but now it must be time to move on. Pollock looks out of sorts and Kemp, Kallis ect just cannot back up Ntini and Nel. I saw Thomas I think it was in a 20/20 match against Pakistan, and he took 3 wickets on his debut. I thought now he is surely one for the future. I haven't seen him since...

Animator!

School Cricketer
South Africa are the most vunerable in my opinion. If their bowling attack all creaks at the same time, then it's a severe problem.

morgieb

County Cricketer
Shoaib Akhtar? Isn't he that drug abusing hasbeen? If Pakistan recall him then they have no chance of challenging top or even second spot.

Gambino saying Pakistan will be the best side? Never seen that before...

Straight toss up between England and Australia imo. We posses the most in form batting line-ups in my view./B]

Didn't you guys get smashed 5-0 last non-minmow test series

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Didn't you guys get smashed 5-0 last non-minmow test series

When have we ever played a minnow test match? Newsflash! There's no such thing!

and what's a minmow?

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
I don't get why people think Pakistan have a chance in overtaking Australia? If anything, I thought this was the beginning of a rough patch for Pakistani Cricket with Inzamam retiring, Woolmer's death & Younis Khan seeming as if he might go into early retirement. Mohammad Yousuf might not play for that much longer either and their new captain is exactly a star player neither (FC average of under 30?).

We still have the best batting lineup in the world. We still have our best 3 batsman over the last period of time in the team.

South Africa or England will battle over 2nd place.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Imo, England because they are a good test side. More consistent than most other teams (except the Aussies ofcourse).

Well the real test for England will be the tour of Sri Lanka. The Lions are extremely hard to beat at home. But unlike previous times, England have a good spinner in their ranks in Monty who can make good use of the turning wickets down in SL.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
most likely

followed by:
Hayden and Rogers
Hayden and Watson
Hayden and other
Hayden and Watson would be incredibly stupid and unlikely, although I heard the speculation too. Personally I'd have Hayden and Rogers before Jaques, Rogers' season was brilliant in the Pura Cup, although selectors may go for Jaques based on perceived talent, which is the only reason Dan "Can't hold a Pura Cup spot but can get a CA contract" Cullen got a contract.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I don't get why people think Pakistan have a chance in overtaking Australia? If anything, I thought this was the beginning of a rough patch for Pakistani Cricket with Inzamam retiring, Woolmer's death & Younis Khan seeming as if he might go into early retirement. Mohammad Yousuf might not play for that much longer either and their new captain is exactly a star player neither (FC average of under 30?).
Inzy is still in the running for Test matches. And an Inzy without captaincy pressures is a dangerous Inzy indeed.

We still have the best batting lineup in the world. We still have our best 3 batsman over the last period of time in the team.
With Langer and Martyn gone, though, most other teams will fancy putting some pressure if they can get a couple of early breakthroughs. And you don't have the pivotal Warne-McGrath combo to destroy batting line-ups on flat tracks, either.

Gunner786

Panel of Selectors
Inzy is still in the running for Test matches. And an Inzy without captaincy pressures is a dangerous Inzy indeed.

With Langer and Martyn gone, though, most other teams will fancy putting some pressure if they can get a couple of early breakthroughs. And you don't have the pivotal Warne-McGrath combo to destroy batting line-ups on flat tracks, either.
very true

inzi without captaincy pressures is a much scarier prospect than the one with captaincy burdens

tsyrmas

Club Cricketer
Australia won't win as many games. Mind you, they've won 20 out of 26 Tests in the last 2 years. No. 2 have won 11 out of 30, while No. 3 have won 9 from 24. While Australia have ready replacements for Warne and Langer, the gap left by McGrath is the most difficult to fill. It should make contests very interesting as fast bowlers duel for a permanent spot.

I dissagree. I think we have several replacements for Langer, in Jaques, D. Hussey or Katich (and probably more i can't remember). I think McGrath ahs already been replaced by Stuart Clarke, who is in exactly his mould, and is doing absolutely great (just ask the English), so that leaves the Warne factor. Obviously we aren't going to see a warne again for a LONG time, but we do have Magill who is a proven success, and should have played 100 tests by now. HOggy is in the form of his life and MUST be considered an option, and even though these two are in the last years of their career, it must just give the Cullen's enough time to get that experience to jump into the big league. Personally, i don't see many problems for Australia over the next few summers and winters, and i rekon we've probably got the brightest future going around aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread