Draft: Best to never play Test cricket | Draft Part 2 underway...

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
  1. ?
  2. ?
  3. ?
  4. ?
  5. ?
  6. ?
  7. :eng: :ar: Darren Stevens
  8. :saf: :ar: Saait Magiet
  9. :ire: :ar: Jimmy Boucher
  10. :eng: :bwl: Thomas Wass
  11. :ind: :bwl: Padmakar Shivalkar
The Final piece of my bowling lineup would be Jimmy Boucher.

upload_2020-5-8_14-35-50.jpeg

He was a legendary Irish off spinning bowling all rounder, taking 168 Wickets at an average of 14.04 in First Class cricket. He made 1161 Runs for Ireland and 7545 in Domestic Cricket.

A master of accuracy and flight - the late dipping ball deceived hundreds of batsmen, and he picked up most of his wickets from catches at short leg. He often bowled with three men posted there! No matter the conditions or circumstances, he would never open the bowling, preferring to wait until the shine was off the ball. He was always an attacking bowler, believing negative play was not part of the game.

Many touring sides fell foul of Boucher, and lived to spread his fame. He won the respect of some of the giants of the age, men like Herbert Sutcliffe, Wally Hammond, the Nawab of Pataudi and Stan McCabe. For Ireland, one of his finest hours was at College Park in 1937, when he ran through the New Zealanders, taking 7-13 as the touring side collapsed to 64 all out. Sadly, Ireland fared even worse, and totals of 79 and 30 saw the game finish in one day. He clean bowled four Indian batsmen in taking 6-30 in 1936.

@Asham

VC the slogger

PlanetCricket Forever
India
AFG...
  1. ?
  2. ?
  3. ?
  4. ?
  5. ?
  6. ?
  9. :ire: :ar: Jimmy Boucher
The Final piece of my bowling lineup would be Jimmy Boucher.

View attachment 232392

He was a legendary Irish off spinning bowling all rounder, taking 168 Wickets at an average of 14.04 in First Class cricket. He made 1161 Runs for Ireland and 7545 in Domestic Cricket.

A master of accuracy and flight - the late dipping ball deceived hundreds of batsmen, and he picked up most of his wickets from catches at short leg. He often bowled with three men posted there! No matter the conditions or circumstances, he would never open the bowling, preferring to wait until the shine was off the ball. He was always an attacking bowler, believing negative play was not part of the game.

Many touring sides fell foul of Boucher, and lived to spread his fame. He won the respect of some of the giants of the age, men like Herbert Sutcliffe, Wally Hammond, the Nawab of Pataudi and Stan McCabe. For Ireland, one of his finest hours was at College Park in 1937, when he ran through the New Zealanders, taking 7-13 as the touring side collapsed to 64 all out. Sadly, Ireland fared even worse, and totals of 79 and 30 saw the game finish in one day. He clean bowled four Indian batsmen in taking 6-30 in 1936.

@Asham

Sorry mate, he was already picked during the original draft and is therefore invalid.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Sorry mate, he was already picked during the original draft and is therefore invalid.
Sorry. My bad.

My pick would be Geoff Humpage

geoff-humpage-batting-for-warwickshire-circa-july-1984-humpage-played-picture-id954598878

Statistics

18098 Runs in 351 Matches @ 36.34 (29 Centuries, Best 254)
671 Catches and 72 Stumpings

EspnCRICINFO said:
The meaty Warwickshire wicketkeeper Geoff Humpage was a Wisden Cricketer of the Year in 1985, a popular figure throughout his career, and an Edgbaston folk hero. He played three one-day internationals against Australia in 1981, but managed only 11 runs. This was out of character, because Humpage could certainly bat: he had a first-class average of 36 and a top score of 254.

Asham

International Coach
Kings XI
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I was too lazy for many days, so here's my third and fourth pick. Billy Bestwick and Sridharan Sriram. Sorry for the inconvenience, would provide the write-up in some time. Over to you buddy @ahmedleo414.

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
I hope @VC the slogger whenever you get a chance to update the first post, it just makes it easier to track who is next...

That being said, I will pick Andre Botha from Ireland (born: South Africa)

article-0-00489E0F000004B0-320_308x185.jpg

Stats|Matches|Runs|HS|:bat: Ave|100s/50s|Wkts|:bwl: Ave|Econ|BBI|BBM|5w/10w
First-Class |30|1,762|186|40.04|5/7|45|25.51|2.60|4/52|?|0/0
His bio from cricinfo:

"Botha is only the fourth Irish player to have achieved the double of 2000 runs and 100 wickets. Botha has also taken part in two of Ireland’s record partnerships; 360 for the third wicket against UAE with Eoin Morgan in February 2007, and 234 for the sixth wicket against Scotland with Alex Cusack in August 2007. The 360 with Morgan is also Ireland’s highest partnership for any wicket. Botha’s 186 against Scotland in August 2007 was the highest individual score for Ireland in a home match.

Botha's extraordinary figures of 2/5 of eight overs in the 2007 ICC Cricket World Cup pool match against Pakistan deserve mention; while taking only two wickets, the figures equalled the record for the most economical eight over spell in the history of the World Cup."

My Team so far:

1. :eng: :bat: Alan Jones
3. :sco: :bat: James Aitchison
4. :ire: :ar: Andre Botha
6. :saf: :wkb: Nic Pothas
8. :pak: :bwl: Iqbal Sikander

@Yash. i think you have the next pick... but double check please

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Every team needs an X Factor, a player who could turn the match on its head, single handedly.
For me, its gonna be Peter Trego

upload_2020-5-9_10-32-30.jpeg

Statistics

9528 Runs @ 33.31 (15 Centuries, Best 154*) in 218 Matches
383 Wickets @ 36.59 (5 5WI, BBI 7/84) in 218 Matches

Peter Trego can be regarded as one of the best players to not play for England, from the 21st Century. A hero for the Somerset team, he posseses the skill to destroy bowling lineups on his day (like when he made a 54 ball century against Yorkshire to help Somerset chase 476) or use his medium pace bowling to break partnerships or give the strike bowlers some rest. His all round ability was shown in the 08/09 season, when he made 835 runs in the season at 52.36 and took 33 wickets at 34.27. He’ll bat at no. 6 for me.

1. ?
  2. ?
  3. ?
  4. ?
  5. :eng: :wkb: Geoff Humpage
  6. :eng: :ar: Peter Trego
  9. ?
Pretty much looking like an English team :p[DOUBLEPOST=1589001517][/DOUBLEPOST]@ahmedleo414 back to you.

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
My next pick will be English/Canadian Walter Wright

380px-Walter_Wright.jpg

Stats|Matches|Runs|HS|:bat: Ave|100s/50s|Wkts|:bwl: Ave|BBI|BBM|5w/10w
First-Class |289|4,075|127*|12.31|1/5|976|19.52|9/72|?|60/13
His bio from cricinfo:

"Walter Wright, one of the first bowlers capable of swerving the ball to an appreciable extent, died at Leigh, Lancashire, on March 22, aged 84. Born at Hucknell, he played for Nottinghamshire from 1879 to 1886, for Kent from 1888 to 1899, and finished a long and varied career on the first-class cricket field as umpire. Bowling left-hand above medium pace, with good control of length, he used to trouble most batsmen at the start of an innings. His swerve, then almost a novelty, and speed from the turf rendered him extremely difficult, and he accomplished some remarkable performances. At Trent Bridge he once dismissed six Yorkshiremen for ten runs, and five M.C.C. wickets fell to him for one run on the same ground. During eight seasons when comparatively few first-class county matches were played, he took 193 wickets for Nottinghamshire at 18 runs apiece. His association with the county of his birth ended through some dispute over remuneration for a match with the Australian team of 1886. He then qualified for Kent, and for twelve years enjoyed much success, chiefly when sharing the attack with Nutty Martin, another left-hander of less pace. Before the ground was levelled, these two went through many sides at Moat Park, Maidstone. Wright, with the slope favouring his swerve, made the ball go very fast down-hill; Martin, using the left-hander's natural break-back, afforded a marked contrast--a leg-break to the right-handed batsman. Altogether for Kent, Walter Wright took 725 wickets at less than 20 runs each. Two notable performances against Middlesex, at Canterbury and Lord's, were identical--thirteen wickets for 106 runs in each match. On a third occasion thirteen wickets fell to him, this time at a cost of 150 runs, when Nottinghamshire visited Maidstone in 1895.

In 1880 a team of Canadians lost their best man, a deserter from the Horse Guards, and Wright was engaged to play for them. In his first match he scored 80 runs and took 14 wickets, but payment being uncertain in an ill-starred venture, Wright soon left the team and the tour broke down in mid-season. His ability as a right-handed batsman was shown in 1883, when, in the match with Gloucestershire, he was sent in shortly before time on the first evening, withstood the attack throughout the next day, and when the innings closed on the third morning he remained unbeaten with 127 runs to his credit. For Mote Park in 1887 he scored 237 against Free Foresters.

During his period as umpire, Wright officiated in the match at Taunton when James Phillips, standing at square leg, no-balled Tyler for doubtful delivery. Disagreeing with his colleague, Wright would not allow more than the regulation number of balls (four) to the over. At a time when single-wicket matches were popular, Wright in 1885 opposed eleven men and won very easily; he made 61 runs and dismissed his opponents in each innings for six.

In his young days, thanks to his quickness off the mark, he was an excellent field. His sprinting powers were demonstrated when he won the Sheffield Handicaps in 1880 and 1881--races which were stopped eventually because of the extensive betting with which they were associated. At one time he was considered to be the second fastest runner in the world at 130 yards."

A little bio from wiki:

"WG Grace's held the opinion of Wright is that he believed him to be at the forefront of the creation and proliferation of swing bowling, a formidable prospect at his speed of movement, Wright being believed to be the second-fastest runner in the world in his prime sprinting days."

My Team so far:

1. :eng: :bat: Alan Jones
  2. ?
  3. :sco: :bat: James Aitchison
  4. :ire: :ar: Andre Botha
  5. ?
  6. :saf: :wkb: Nic Pothas
  7. :can:/:eng: :ar: Walter Wright
  8. :pak: :bwl: Iqbal Sikander
  9. ?
  10. ?
  11. ?
@Asham you have the next pick

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Another hat tip to @Mouseydread i am going with FRANK RORO.

Alongside George Headley, did you know there was another "Black Bradman"?

Frank Roro was a black batsman in South Africa during apartheid, which means not only was his talent hidden from view then, it's very difficult to find real documentary evidence of his feats now. But here's some - he played from the late 30's to the early 50s and apparently scored 100 centuries in the competitive "Miner's Leagues", and was a much sought after employee for the mine owners to get him into their team. He also scored 20 centuries in inter-provincial cricket under the "Bantu" cricket board, as the Black/African board was called.

Such was his feats, he was selected as one of 15 batsmen (and only 2 non-whites) in a book by Ali Bacher and journalist David Williams of "South Africa's Greatest Batsmen", and was selected again in a field of 10 including Richards, Pollock, Procter, Donald and D'Oliveira for consideration as South Africa's "Cricketer of the Millenium".

@VC the slogger is next

Users who are viewing this thread