Best Wicket Keeper-Batsman in Test Cricket

Who's the Best Keeper-Batsman currently playing Test Cricket

• Total voters

mrtwisties

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I voted for McCullum, but it should've been Dhoni.

McCullum's brutal 158* and his dismissal of Dravid at Wellington are exceptional high-points, but Dhoni has been delivering almost-as-impressive performances in a far more consistent fashion. He also has a slight edge in terms of talismannery / X-factor.

If I was going to build an IPL team or World XI, I'd build it around Dhoni in all forms of the game. He's only 27, and he's going to go down as a great.

blessusand

School Cricketer
i think its kumar sangakkara purely because of his class and also the fact that his skills are better suited to the longer format of the game.dhoni is also ok but,sanga is way ahead if dhoni.
mccullum doesn't have what test cricket demands.

irottev

School Cricketer
i think its kumar sangakkara purely because of his class

I'll admit, Sangakkara is the best wicket keeper batsman who doesn't wicket keep... :/

Do poeple seriously think he still keeps wicket? What rock do you people live under?

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
I think Sangakkaras previous WK record in tests speaks for it self and lets not forget that he still keeps in ODIs and does a superb job in there. Keeping to Murali and Mendis is not easy and he is great at it.
If he was to take the gloves and keep for a 3 test series I have no doubt that he would be the best atm.

Collingwood50

Club Cricketer
Well I would have said GoJo, but he's not techinchaly speaking in the England team so I would say Dhoni

Precambrian

International Cricketer
McCullum has out-batted and out-kept Dhoni this series easily in all forms of the game.
How so? McCullum averaged 46 against Dhoni's 77 in tests. No contest in ODIs.

However I agree the little chap's keeping was better than Dhoni's.

Precambrian added 19 Minutes and 45 Seconds later...

You're joking aren't you?

McCullum confirmed his superiority in Test cricket in the recent NZ-India series, outbatted and outkept Dhoni. The catch off Dravid, premeditating the sweep shot was genius. Dhoni's still miles ahead of everyone in ODi's though, purely for his batting.
The catch was illegal, as the umpire should have called it a dead ball as the wicketkeeper shant move before the delivery

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
I don't think he did. He saw Dravid go down for the sweep, and moved as he saw him go down. He have been made to look a right plum if Vettori had bowled short and wide outside off and Dravid had cut if it was premeditation. It was just superb anticipation.

Precambrian

International Cricketer
Fully agree. I'd rather chuck out such outdated cricketing laws. That was one heck of a brilliant take. As I said before also, McCullum was the better keeper. However Dhoni was easily the better batsman,

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Hmm, not sure I agree. McCullum played more important innings' for his side, and scored a hundred. I'd take scores of 84 and 115 with 3 failures, over 1 fifty that weren't converted and an unbeaten fifty when there was zero pressure. MSD's average is higher for the series, but he didn't really make a real score of note, McCullum made 2. 1 of those was in an attempt to make a score for his side to defend, he made 84 when everyone was falling around him and whilst batting with the tail. Then his hundred was on a pitch on which India were made to follow on, which if it wasn't for Gambhir's detirmination could have resulted in a NZ win.

I think McCullum performed better personally.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Dhoni batted with the tail in the last match to take India from precarious position to a good total.

Just sayin'.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Ah yeh so he did, on a pitch that offered something first up. Can't say I noticed that innings first up. It was a good 'un. I'd still say McCullum's 2 big innings offered more to the side and had a greater impact though tbh. It's a pretty close run thing though tbh.

metallics2006

International Coach
Ah yeh so he did, on a pitch that offered something first up. Can't say I noticed that innings first up. It was a good 'un. I'd still say McCullum's 2 big innings offered more to the side and had a greater impact though tbh. It's a pretty close run thing though tbh.
Did'nt make them win did it? I call that a good effort in a losing cause.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
TBH I didn't know Jayawerdene was a Keeper until now, lol.

Precambrian

International Cricketer
Hmm, not sure I agree. McCullum played more important innings' for his side, and scored a hundred. I'd take scores of 84 and 115 with 3 failures, over 1 fifty that weren't converted and an unbeaten fifty when there was zero pressure. MSD's average is higher for the series, but he didn't really make a real score of note, McCullum made 2. 1 of those was in an attempt to make a score for his side to defend, he made 84 when everyone was falling around him and whilst batting with the tail. Then his hundred was on a pitch on which India were made to follow on, which if it wasn't for Gambhir's detirmination could have resulted in a NZ win.

I think McCullum performed better personally.
Another way of putting that would be McCullum had no pressure around him as he was going for the blaze of glory path as everyone before him failed.... None of his knocks were "match turning".

Users who are viewing this thread