Best Wicket Keeper-Batsman in Test Cricket

Who's the Best Keeper-Batsman currently playing Test Cricket

• Total voters
l
The stats speak for themselves. And when you consider how much stronger the Indian and Sri Lankan sides are in tests it's quite impressive. I'm sure he's conceded the least byes per game also but I dunno how to look that up.

Those stats you posted don't mean allot. McCullum was most likely given more chances to catch than Dhoni and Jaywardene during those tests. (I do think McCullum is better with the gloves than both of them though) I am just raising the point that judging keepers by how many catches they take is kinda silly.

It is a little, but it's really the only way to see it in stats. There's no bye counts :(. It's stumpings too of course. But you would have though given we have a weak test side we wouldn't get as many wickets as other sides would meaning less chances for McCullum.

lol ok dude. Whatever you say haha. You obviously don't remember this catch. And it was no fluke. He constantly takes catches and wides similar to this. He rarely ever drops it.

Here's a breakdown of dismissals:

TESTS:
P Jaywardene - 67 dismissals from 23 tests = 2.9 per match.
M Dhoni - 98 dismissals from 35 tests = 2.8 per match
B McCullum - 130 dismissals from 41 tests = 3.2 per match

The stats speak for themselves. And when you consider how much stronger the Indian and Sri Lankan sides are in tests it's quite impressive. I'm sure he's conceded the least byes per game also but I dunno how to look that up.

He's the best gloveman. I'm saying it as fact with evidence.
Another load of crap.

Dhoni hardly gets dismissals behind the stumps as McCullum gets on bouncy wickets.

Dismissals per match are the most stupidest argument comparing wks.

lol ok dude. Whatever you say haha. You obviously don't remember this catch. And it was no fluke. He constantly takes catches and wides similar to this. He rarely ever drops it.

Here's a breakdown of dismissals:

TESTS:
P Jaywardene - 67 dismissals from 23 tests = 2.9 per match.
M Dhoni - 98 dismissals from 35 tests = 2.8 per match
B McCullum - 130 dismissals from 41 tests = 3.2 per match

He's the best gloveman. I'm saying it as fact with evidence.

A. Thats a poor way of making comparisons for Wk but it is hard to compare them.
B. You convieniently missed off the list the man I said was the best gloveman and who has done this in alot more test matches compared to McCullum.

M Boucher 466 dismissals from 123 = 3.87 which is alot better than all the rest.

He is, though in the last few years I doubt he's been as impressive.

I wasn't disputing Boucher being a great keeper which is why I didn't bother getting his stats. He's about the only one i'll accept anyone saying is anywhere near McCullum's ability. I just feel he's getting on a bit and the body isn't moving like it used to He's still a great keeper though.

Best batsman - Brad Haddin
Best Keeper - Jayawardene
Overall - Boucher

If i had to pick one I would go with Haddin though. He is solid with the gloves and very good with the bat. He is good technically unlike Dhoni/McCullum but he can still match it with very best of them when it comes to power hitting.

In the last year Boucher has got 53 in 14 matches = 3.78 compared to McCullum who has got 43 in 12 matches = 3.5 so still Bouchers best.

He is, though in the last few years I doubt he's been as impressive.

I wasn't disputing Boucher being a great keeper which is why I didn't bother getting his stats. He's about the only one i'll accept anyone saying is anywhere near McCullum's ability. I just feel he's getting on a bit and the body isn't moving like it used to He's still a great keeper though.

McCullum is great in One day cricket but not in test cricket. Just look at his stats : After 40 tests he only got 2 tons (Against Zim and Bangladesh) and look at his record against good sides (Av 22 vs Aus , Av 34 Vs England , Av 22 Vs SA , Av 30 Vs SL /// Av 31 Vs WI , Av 50 vs Ban , Av 67 Vs Zim). Not very impressive is it ?

Haddin, a better batsman then Dhoni. LOL! Based off 1 series obviously (against weak bowling). That's no contest. Cheers for the laugh.

In the last year Boucher has got 53 in 14 matches = 3.78 compared to McCullum who has got 43 in 12 matches = 3.5 so still Bouchers best.

Fair enough. They're close though. SA have had Steyn and Ntini on fire so no real surprises. He's a great keeper though. I never disputed that.

And about McCullum. His averages in both forms are poor. He's an improved player. He was thrust in pretty early on and ended up being a keeper who could bat a bit. Now he's a genuine all-round keeper. Only 2 hundreds is a bit dissapointingbut if you look up his scores he's got a lot of 90's. I remember one at Lords against England and one against Australia. I'm sure there's at least 1 more 90. Plus he played a good innings 78* odd against Australia just a few months back.

Last edited:
Haddin, a better batsman then Dhoni. LOL! Based off 1 series obviously (against weak bowling). That's no contest. Cheers for the laugh.
QUOTE]

Steyn
Ntini
Morkel
Kallis
Harris

Haddin averaged 45 against this attack.

You can't base it all on one series though if he still is going well after 3 or 4 series but not one, its way to little to get any real sort of idea of how good he is.

Haddin is a better FC batsman than Dhoni, easily. Dhoni's Test record is nothing special at all. Prior's the best batsman of the lot, he's actually good enough to get into most sides on batting alone. He's class. Dhoni's only made 4 FC hundreds, so only 3 in domestic cricket, that's in 75 FC games, 40 of those in Indian domestic cricket, not a great record. Especially when compared with Haddin who averages 41 with 11 Hundreds.

Haddin plays for one of the worst national teams so it evens it self out. Joke

Users who are viewing this thread