Bowling tips

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
When I was playing this game (very very long time ago) I had the same problem, in ODI's I'd get all kinds of wickets, edge chances, edges through gaps etc and in tests literally nothing would just be bowling for hours and became really boring. At least getting chances would be nice.

What has the game became btw with all recent patches etc? Is it better or is it patches that make game worse?

I put a rough highlights video in the game play thread that shows me bowling at the AI. Had them all done in 70 overs, with England scoring 3 an over. Was really satisfying.

I was bowling exclusively in career mode and rarely if ever taking wickets. This was like night and day by comparison.

In that game, I had some success bowling a good length, but after lunch Cummins and Hazelwood bowled fuller and the wickets really started to fall. Was noticeable that a full ball was bringing me much more success.

N Jones

Club Captain
When I was playing this game (very very long time ago) I had the same problem, in ODI's I'd get all kinds of wickets, edge chances, edges through gaps etc and in tests literally nothing would just be bowling for hours and became really boring. At least getting chances would be nice.

What has the game became btw with all recent patches etc? Is it better or is it patches that make game worse?
The game is still bad with players walking through each other etc..i play on manual fielding so I can make the players rum faster and on manual fielding it's a joke..you throw the ball to either end and just hope a player is there to take it otherwise it's 4 overthrow's. On fast or medium pace bowling when fielding throwing to the keeper is a farce coz he's hardly ever at the stumps and if he is he's normally facing the wrong way...as for the user stat's. .they are always wrong so much that I dont bother with them anymore. The game is poor and always has been

rasdan

Club Captain
The game is still bad with players walking through each other etc..i play on manual fielding so I can make the players rum faster and on manual fielding it's a joke..you throw the ball to either end and just hope a player is there to take it otherwise it's 4 overthrow's. On fast or medium pace bowling when fielding throwing to the keeper is a farce coz he's hardly ever at the stumps and if he is he's normally facing the wrong way...as for the user stat's. .they are always wrong so much that I dont bother with them anymore. The game is poor and always has been

i have to agree to a point,my main issue is ive had several incidents recently where the cpu batsmen will loft a shot landing inches from my fielder but he doesnt react to it and it falls safe.they just seem to know when or how to react which is a shame as i really enjoy the game

rasdan

Club Captain
out of interest does anyone actually check batsmen weaknesses and strengths?i always used to disregard them but i think i may be on to something.Current tour match,india v pakistan second test,pakistan were 82 without loss when for some unknown reason i decided to check the batsmen strengths.So,i assumed that if drive or cut was listed as a strength then the batsmen favours the offside,glance meaning the opposite with special shots meaning hook or pull.Anyway i wont bore you all any further,i applied this thinking and i kid you not bumrah took two wickets in two balls reducing them to 82-2.currently have them 145-6,including a short cross seamed delivery to a batsmen whose weakness was special shots and he gloved it to the keeper.Without a doubt one of the most satisfying wickets ive ever taken.Im not saying you are skittle any team out like a touring england side in the windies but give it a go and see if it helps anyone who is having a rough time taking wickets.Obviously field placements are still key but im gonna persevere with my method tonight and see if i can continue to take cheap wickets.Again im sorry if people have been trying this for months lol

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Ok, I think I've cracked the career mode bowling as far as pace bowling in FC games goes.

Difficulty: Medium/Medium/Veteran

My career player has just broken into T20 side of my nation and is busy playing FC games in county circuit when he is not slogging it around the park in T20Is.

On topic: Once the ball gets a bit old, say ~15 overs old, I aim to hit the top of off stump by selecting standard delivery and then setting the seam at 10 o'clock. This mostly, brings the ball back into the right hander. Reverse swing, I guess. And what works for me also going wide on the crease ala Stokes. So, I go wide off the stumps and try to bend the ball in from a touch fuller length than good length. I slip in an odd cross seam delivery from back of length and sometimes AI nicks it to the keeper or even to slips.

Before I settled on this formula, I used to bowl mostly swing deliveries and tried to mix my length but that rarely got me wickets. But by targeting top of off, I'm getting lot better results.

An update on above.

Based on my experience of bowling in the game, it seems every bowler has a dominating swing skill i.e. either of his outswing or inswing will be considerably better than the other one. The way to find this out is to hold R2+L2 and see which side is the rough side - the ball will swing more that way. In fact, if you were to just use 'Standard' delivery option, the bowl will seam that way.

So, currently I try to swing the ball for first 15 or so overs and then switch to Standard deliveries. Throughout I keep checking what length to bowl using 'Big Lines/Big Eye' to find which one hits the top of stumps. This varies based on pitch/bowler height/action and ball condition as well.

Happy Bowling!

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
out of interest does anyone actually check batsmen weaknesses and strengths?i always used to disregard them but i think i may be on to something.Current tour match,india v pakistan second test,pakistan were 82 without loss when for some unknown reason i decided to check the batsmen strengths.So,i assumed that if drive or cut was listed as a strength then the batsmen favours the offside,glance meaning the opposite with special shots meaning hook or pull.Anyway i wont bore you all any further,i applied this thinking and i kid you not bumrah took two wickets in two balls reducing them to 82-2.currently have them 145-6,including a short cross seamed delivery to a batsmen whose weakness was special shots and he gloved it to the keeper.Without a doubt one of the most satisfying wickets ive ever taken.Im not saying you are skittle any team out like a touring england side in the windies but give it a go and see if it helps anyone who is having a rough time taking wickets.Obviously field placements are still key but im gonna persevere with my method tonight and see if i can continue to take cheap wickets.Again im sorry if people have been trying this for months lol
I use it regularly, but in a recent few matches it has finally given me good results.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
I use it regularly, but in a recent few matches it has finally given me good results.

I look at it but don't normally take too much stock from it, particularly for top-tier batsmen, I think it makes more sense for poorer players/tail enders though . I'm not in front of my PS4 right now to check the player attributes, but a "weakness" doesn't always mean something a batsman is bad at, just worse than everything else.

For a hypothetical example, if Steve Smith has a weakness on the Drive, that might just mean all his shots are rated 99, but his drive is 95, making it his worst skill. He's still gonna drill me through the covers every ball he likes, but it's technically his "weakness". I know from the games I'm playing at the moment that Bairstow's weakness is the pull and hook, but bouncing him really doesn't get me very far at all!

Also to add to that though, when you do bowl to a plan in general and get a wicket, it is hugely satisfying. I particularly like the Short Leg/Leg Slip/Fine Leg round the wicket bouncer barrage to tail enders, then wait for the AI to miscue one onto their body or loop one up out of control. Slip a few yorkers in for good measure as well!

Reactions: DAP

N Jones

Club Captain
An update on above.

Based on my experience of bowling in the game, it seems every bowler has a dominating swing skill i.e. either of his outswing or inswing will be considerably better than the other one. The way to find this out is to hold R2+L2 and see which side is the rough side - the ball will swing more that way. In fact, if you were to just use 'Standard' delivery option, the bowl will seam that way.

So, currently I try to swing the ball for first 15 or so overs and then switch to Standard deliveries. Throughout I keep checking what length to bowl using 'Big Lines/Big Eye' to find which one hits the top of stumps. This varies based on pitch/bowler height/action and ball condition as well.

Happy Bowling!
This looks like a great tip..I'm going to try it later

TerryAlderman

Club Captain
Dunno if it's a true bowling tip.....or if I just get lucky more times than not.....but don't think that you have to bowl a certain line. Mix it up. If I'm hammering away bowling ball after ball....and the game score situation can take a bowler going for a few runs ( so maybe not in a tight limited overs situation) I generally bowl a few 'bad' deliveries ( like deliveries that cant be called good line or length). A bit wider....or a bit shorter....with speed variations. I even bring on my worst statted bowler in the hope of a 'bad delivery' getting a wicket.....usually caught in the covers or gully.

Dirkdiggler79

School Cricketer
I've just bought this game last week after getting the itch watching the Ashes, the last game i had was Lara 07 and before that 99 . I went through a lot of reviews and concluded that Ashes 17 is a bit of a GOAT and the newer ones aren't that much of an improvement. However once i start to conquer this one i will move on eventually.

First off i love this game i haven't stopped playing it i play as West Indies all time in WC and i've modified Gayle to be more realistic the download was awful in my opinion. I've also attempted to make Cornwall but sadly there is a limit on the weight

This thread has been really helpful particularly page 4 if anyone new reads this.

My bowling is much better now and i am even clean bowling quite regular there is no buzz like it.

Think i've cracked spin as well my move at the minute is full pitch outside leg with in cut with normal or flight. And my special ball is a good length top spinner with bounce straight at him which bamboozle them

Shout out to that @Rumple43 and Tarantino thanks for the tips

Also as much as i use the usual pattern of stock delivery with a confuser at 4 or 5 or whatever sometimes during a game i throw the very first ball as a weird one or direct and that has worked too, basically i'ts good to be random with the random balls

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread