Break the laws

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I am up for these:

Permit more bouncers in ODIs
It's a man's game. Or so they say, but they constantly wimp out with the laws. A classic example is the rule that allows only one bouncer per over in ODIs. How about at least allowing one bouncer per batsman in an over, permitting the bowler to have a pop at both opponents in an over?

Allow the fielder to touch the boundary rope
Why should a fielder be penalised for being athletic? Why should he not be allowed to lean over the boundary, using the boundary as an aid, as used to be allowed - and as is still allowed in baseball - as long as his feet are in the field of play? It will also save time spent on endless replays to determine whether the fielder touched the rope while trying to save a boundary.

Ban overthrows for direct hits
A pet peeve of Sunil Gavaskar's. Why should a fielder pay for a direct hit, a show of excellence?

Also, rewrite the laws so a batsman can't take an overthrow when the ball ricochets off his bat while he is trying to slide it into the crease. Why appeal to his spirit of sportsmanship and hope he doesn't take the run? As of today, some do, some don't, and it sometimes leads to conflicts among players. Would the batsman who refuses to take the extra run in most situations do the same if he requires that run off the last ball to win a World Cup final?

I dont like the idea of 'Legitimise ball-tampering' and 'Ban leg-byes'. And dont care about the rest. And the 2nd to last 1. lol, It's weird, but it makes sense the way he put it.

Cricinfo XI: Laws that need changing | Regulars | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
I didn't even understand it. LOL. I barely understand the current one.

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
For ODI's: Change the wide rule. In a game that already favors batsmen why should a ball that passes an inch past leg stump a wide? Even if the batsmen swings and misses it..?

I partially like the 'Don't give a batsman out if he is in but his bat is in the air', but it should be that if a Batsmen's bat hits the ground then bounces back up when the bails are taken off during their dive they should be safe.

Num

Club Cricketer
For ODI's: Change the wide rule. In a game that already favors batsmen why should a ball that passes an inch past leg stump a wide? Even if the batsmen swings and misses it..?

I certainly agree with this one.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I actually posted in the article, but I might as well tell you all what I think :p:

1. Ban leg-byes? Half agree, maybe in ODI cricket
2. Disallow backing up? Agree, especially now that players are learning to exploit it
3. Give lbws on balls hitting outside off stump? Maybe. OK in theory I guess, maybe an ODI or T20 rule.
4. Don't offer players the light? Agree
5. Legitimise ball-tampering? Strongly disagree. Should we allow steroid use at the Olympics, speeding on our roads etc just because a lot of it is undetected? Plus you'd end up with a ball looking like a peach seed after the biting and stomping finished. It would be a totally barbarian move IMHO.
6. Permit more bouncers in ODIs? Maybe but bowlers don't use the rule enough as it is. Why extend something there aren't pushing?
7. Be consistent in the use of substitutes and runners? Agree. I'd say if you need a toilet break, tough luck you should field with 10. And runners? Don't get me started. I think if players need a runner they should retire, unless they are the last man in. Definitely no runners for cramps.
8. Allow the fielder to touch the boundary rope? Agree, but only when the ball's on the ground. The BALL should be the focus, not the player. If it's a catch I say no, you shouldn't be able to stand on the rope and take a catch.
9. Ban overthrows for direct hits? Agree
10. Allow two bowlers 12 overs apiece in an ODI innings? Agree. I liked the guy who suggested that for the toss in ODIs/T20s the winner can choose to bat/bowl OR can choose the extra overs for his star bowler if he feels the toss makes no difference, loser gets whatever choice is left.
11. Don't give a batsman out if he is in but his bat is in the air? Agree

I had 7 Agrees, 3 Maybes, 1 Never.

One rule I'd like to see is to ban the defensive 7-2, or even 8-1 fields in Test cricket. Fine if it's an attacking umbrella and the player is on 0, but if he's on 80 then no that shouldn't be allowed.

Last edited:

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
When a batsman is on 80, no captain will put a umbrella field :sarcasm

unless he is drunk...

"The BALL should be the focus" - Thats a good way to put it

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Permit more bouncers in ODIs
It's a man's game. Or so they say, but they constantly wimp out with the laws. A classic example is the rule that allows only one bouncer per over in ODIs. How about at least allowing one bouncer per batsman in an over, permitting the bowler to have a pop at both opponents in an over?

And find the players in hospital the next day!:p
Mate, more than one bouncer is banned because only it's dangerous.

Gurjot95

National Board President
Allow the fielder to touch the boundary rope
Why should a fielder be penalised for being athletic? Why should he not be allowed to lean over the boundary, using the boundary as an aid, as used to be allowed - and as is still allowed in baseball - as long as his feet are in the field of play? It will also save time spent on endless replays to determine whether the fielder touched the rope while trying to save a boundary.
The only problem with that will be players geting knocked by adboards time to time whenever they dive to save boundaries (maybe that's the reason they actually have ropes). Players only focus at ball and don't care what is behind so that can cause some injuries and chances increases when you take catch.

I agree with the rest though...

Dare

Chairman of Selectors

If you play for India and cant play the short ball at all...
I don't understand how Robin Smith had the balls to stand in front of Walsh and Bishop and take bouncer after bouncer and even get hit a few times and that with a helmet that didn't have the face guard and these days you look at the batsman with all the protection they have and they cant play a short ball for their life.
When they changed the rule the ICC went too far. The should make it half the over, 3 out of 6 deliveries should be fine in tests and 2 out of 6 in ODIs.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
And find the players in hospital the next day!:p

Dare summed it up

MacLovin added 8 Minutes and 29 Seconds later...

The only problem with that will be players geting knocked by adboards time to time whenever they dive to save boundaries (maybe that's the reason they actually have ropes). Players only focus at ball and don't care what is behind so that can cause some injuries and chances increases when you take catch.

I agree with the rest though...

Ever watched baseball? seriously cricketers needs to grow some balls, specially new Indian cricketers

Num

Club Cricketer
8. Allow the fielder to touch the boundary rope? Agree, but only when the ball's on the ground. The BALL should be the focus, not the player. If it's a catch I say no, you shouldn't be able to stand on the rope and take a catch.
10. Allow two bowlers 12 overs apiece in an ODI innings? Agree. I liked the guy who suggested that for the toss in ODIs/T20s the winner can choose to bat/bowl OR can choose the extra overs for his star bowler if he feels the toss makes no difference, loser gets whatever choice is left.

One rule I'd like to see is to ban the defensive 7-2, or even 8-1 fields in Test cricket. Fine if it's an attacking umbrella and the player is on 0, but if he's on 80 then no that shouldn't be allowed.

I don't really like these three rules to be honest. Further complicating and regulating cricket will hinder growth to new fans trying to understand cricket, it's a complicated enough sport as it is. If anything, simplifying cricket to allow players and captains to be more creative (such as lessening field restrictions) will produce a better brand of cricket, particularly in ODIs.

I don't mind the defensive fields in Test cricket either, it's enough of a batsman's game already, if batsmen don't have the innovation or the ability to counter heavy offside fields, too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread