Draft: Budget Draft: ODI Nations

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
Son of a.... That's my next pick all 4 of picks were taken... Give me a few minutes while a find someone else

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
I will select former Hong Kong captain Anshuman Rath, who has sadly (for Hong Kong) decided to pursue a career in India. He averaged 52 in 16 ODI matches.

CerealKiller’s XI
2. :hkg: Anshuman Rath :bat: :bro:
4. :zim: Andy Flower :wkb: :slvo:
5. :ban: Shakib Al Hasan :ar: :slvo:
10. :nep:Sandeep Lamichhane :bwl: :bro:
Points used 6/25

@ahmedleo414

I was looking at Rath's profile on Cricinfo just a few hours ago...I was silently hoping nobody snapped him up before my next pick.

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
After my next 4 picks were taken, including my backup pick. I had to find other players... Richie Berrington

81ddacde4386b1db_800

Stats|Matches|Runs|HS|:bat: Ave|100s/50s
List-A |145|3,419|129|28.25|3/21
ODI |78|1,882|101*|28.08|1/13
Here is his bio from cricinfo:

"Richie Berrington powered Scotland to their long-awaited first victory over an ICC Full Member when his century, which was made in only 56 balls and included five sixes, set-up victory over Bangladesh in a T20 international in July 2012

A batting allrounder who can bowl seam, Berrington was born in Pretoria but emigrated to Scotland as a youth and has been part of their set-up since his days in the Under-15 side. His early promise was clearly evident and as an 18 year old he was sent to India as part of the ICC's European Cricket Academy.

Berrington had played for Scotland's Under-19 side while still eligible for their Under-17s, and was part of the squad that took part in the Under-19 World Cup in Sri Lanka in February 2006. Progressing through the Scottish A side, he made his ODI debut against Ireland at Aberdeen in July 2008, hitting the winning runs as Scotland won by five wickets.

He quickly established himself as a regular in the national side, and with Cricket Scotland looking to increase the professionalism of their side was awarded a full-time professional contract along with five other players in March 2010. Berrington gave notice of his ball-striking ability by hitting 56 off just 23 balls in an ODI against Ireland in 2011, but has frustrated Scotland fans with his inconsistency. In his 34th ODI, also against Ireland, he made his maiden ODI hundred to ensure his place in Scotland's World Cup squad."

My playing XI:
  1. :sri: :ar: Sanath Jayasuriya (cost: 3)
  2. :ind: :bat: Sachin Tendulkar (cost: 3)
  3. ?
  4. :ken: :ar: Steve Tikolo (cost: 2)
  5. :sco: :bat: Richie Berrington (cost: 1)
  6. ?
  7. ?
  8. ?
  9. ?
  10. ?
  11. ?
Budget Used: 9/25

@Bevab

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
:zim::ar:Neil Johnson may have played for Zimbabwe for only two years (just like the number of points he shall cost me) but man, how glorious were those two years! When he opted to return to South Africa owing to pay issues and a strained relationship with his coach, Johnson held the record for the highest batting average for his country, a record that is true even today. He was a stylish opener who would prefer scoring via boundaries and a pacer focused on attacking the batsman with a crafty out-swinger. A lack of consistency (particularly with the ball) apart, Johnson was one of the best ODI all-rounders in the two years he played internationally. His defining achievement would come at the 1999 World Cup, where he won three MoM awards and was just a run away from breaking into the top five run scorers of the tournament. Not content with being merely his country's top scorer, he also took 12 wickets at an unbelievable bowling average of 19.41 and ended as his team's top wicket-taker too despite bowling eighteen overs lesser than the next best bowler in Streak. His two most significant performances came versus two of the tournament's most outstanding teams, as he scored a century versus eventual champions Australia and took two wickets too. His best performance no doubt would be when he top-scored with 76 versus South Africa after which he dismissed both Kirsten and Kallis for a duck to end with figures of 3-27, which resulted in his team's surprise victory over South Africa, a match that would have far wider implications in another fateful 'semi-final' game.

One of the few all-rounders who both opened with bat and ball for their country, Johnson's performances went a long way in carrying a team that only harboured dreams of a respectable departure in the group stages to an exit in the Super Six stage by just NRR. While the 1999 World Cup is more famous for another Proteas' all-rounder's heroic performances, there is no doubt that Neil Johnson was his equal throughout the tournament. He is no doubt well accustomed to being a regular contributor in a side that isn't filled with world beaters and so will fit perfectly in my team. As an opener, Johnson will focus on scoring quickly from boundaries, something that was more difficult in his days but should be a simpler task in a modern ODI. With the ball, Johnson will no doubt be more than good as the fifth or sixth bowler.

1. :sco::bat:Kyle Coetzer:bro:
  2. :zim::ar:Neil Johnson:slvo:
  3. ?
  4. ?
  5. :saf::wkb:AB de Villiers:goldo:
  6. :hkg::ar:Mark Chapman:bro:
  7. ?
  8. :afg::ar:Rashid Khan:slvo:
  9. ?
  10. ?
  11. ?

Budget Used: 9/25.

@ahmedleo414 back to you... again?

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
@Bevab, it's him. You were overall pick 29, I think, which starts the fifth round. He doesn't get to pick after this until the 6th round is almost done...which gives everyone time to mess up his NEXT 4 picks. :D

Seriously though, other people grabbing some of his picks must not have been easy. The draft order has been good to him at the moment, now it's time for some revenge on his part.

That's part of the reason why I signed up for this and have started reading the other drafts. They give us the chance to be exposed to players that we might not have known or might have forgotten. I mean, yeah, I remember Steve Tikolo, but would he come into a regular cricket discussion of ODI players? Probably not. Do I remember Neil Johnson? I've heard the name now and then in the past, but he's largely forgotten for his exploits, which you have summarised quite well.

Last edited:

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
My next pick is UAEs Khurram Khan

oTbuYnDAabcEnTh2fc1IZb8gs881mK4UAzToQy4m9R1SYrEpxL1Dd_4oayrK5n7PO55SLY6Gjf3UaBbdBaZycIJigUmJhVxB8JHI75ChX7eP

Stats|Matches|Runs|HS|:bat: Ave|100s/50s
List-A |82|2,870|138|44.15|5/23
ODI |16|582|132*|41.57|1/3
Here is his bio from cricinfo:

"In November 2014, aged 43 years and 162 days, Khurram Khan became the oldest player to score an ODI hundred, his unbeaten 132 helping his team to a six-wicket victory over Afghanistan in Dubai and pushing him ahead of Sanath Jayasuriya on the senior centurions list. That knock also helped to push his ODI batting average, somewhat flatteringly, above 50 - although his healthy List A record suggests a batsman of significant class.

Born in Pakistan, Khurram was something of a late starter as a cricketer: he'd never even played with a hard ball until he went to university. Two of his brothers, Atiq and Zeeshan, were first-class cricketers in Pakistan and when Khurram moved to UAE in 1999 to work for Emirates Airlines as a flight purser he quickly established a reputation in UAE club cricket, playing his first matches for UAE in the 2001 ICC Trophy in Canada. A stylish character both on and off the field, he was a natural leader and was appointed captain of the UAE side the following year. He was still captain when UAE secured their second World Cup berth at the Qualifiers in New Zealand in early 2014, leading from the front as UAE's top scorer in the tournament. He was replaced by Mohammad Tauqir as captain for the World Cup, but as vice-captain and senior batsman, he remained a central figure in UAE's campaign."

If not for his late start, he may have had an even better career. There was a reason he became a central figure in UAE cricket

My playing XI:
  1. :sri: :ar: Sanath Jayasuriya (cost: 3)
  2. :ind: :bat: Sachin Tendulkar (cost: 3)
  3. ?
  4. :ken: :ar: Steve Tikolo (cost: 2)
  5. :sco: :bat: Richie Berrington (cost: 1)
  6. :uae: :bat: Khurram Khan (cost: 1)
  7. ?
  8. ?
  9. ?
  10. ?
  11. ?
Budget Used: 10/25

@CerealKiller you are next

Last edited:

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Opening with Rath will be Ed Joyce, who averaged 38 in 78 ODIs for England and Ireland

CerealKiller’s XI
1. :ire: Ed Joyce :bat: :slvo:
2. :hkg: Anshuman Rath :bat: :bro:
4. :zim: Andy Flower :wkb: :slvo:
5. :ban: Shakib Al Hasan :ar: :slvo:
10. :nep:Sandeep Lamichhane :bwl: :bro:
Points used 8/25[DOUBLEPOST=1590963690][/DOUBLEPOST]@Aislabie

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
@Aislabie you're going to do some sort of fancy calculation and get your next guy in on the basis of stats. Give me my next pick freely, and I'll out-stat you. Not for my next pick, that is, but for my pick after that.

(EDIT: I love Ed Joyce as a pick.)

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
bevan-1462706068-800.jpg

:aus: :bat: Michael Bevan

ODI stats
: 6,912 runs @ 53.58 (SR: 74.16, 6 centuries, best 108*) in 232 matches
List A stats: 15,103 runs @ 57.86 (SR: n/a, 13 centuries, best 157*) in 427 matches

Batting VARP (middle order): :up: 83.71%

It was an incredibly tricky choice for my Australian between Bevan, McGrath and Hussey, but eventually the original finisher had to win out on this one. Across a long career in the greatest one-day dynasty the world has seen, he still managed to be almost 84% better than a replacement player. There were countless games that Australia won which would not even have been contests without Bevan's presence. His bowling, though not bad, will have little to no utility in this team, but it doesn't need to: I don't especially foresee us struggling to find four dual-role players given that we don't even have our keeper yet.

@Aislabie's XI

Player|#||Primary Role||Secondary Role
:ind: :bat: :goldo: Rohit Sharma |17| |Top-order hitter| |-
:wi: :ar: :goldo: Viv Richards |2| |Top-order hitter| |Stock spinner?
:aus: :bat: :goldo: Michael Bevan |32| |Dynamic accumulator| |-
:saf: :ar: :goldo: Shaun Pollock |13| |Stock seamer| |Firefighter
:sri: :bwl: :goldo: Muttiah Muralitharan |26| |Attacking spinner| |-

@qpeedore

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
It's difficult when looking at the 1-point teams to pick a proper representative. Sure, Scotland has always been there or thereabouts since the 1990's, and some of their players get the advantage of playing in the English County circuit, which arguably offers better opposition than say, Italy or Jordan. The Asian teams do fare better, being part of the Asia Cup, and where a previous pick, Anshuman Rath, had made India sweat back in 2018.

You can't really say the same for a lot of the other teams, who either have to rely on players who might have represented their home countries in youth tournaments and then emigrated, or who have to hope that their own home-grown players are up to the international standard.

Which is why it makes my next pick all the more unusual, but no less effective. A single ODI representation for the USA, and 9 List A matches in total. Zero ICC youth tournament experience. Some privately-sponsored tournament experience prior to being discovered, and this guy can still get some of the top batsmen in the world out. I've seen it happen. "Franchise cricket" is the simple two-word phrase to the obvious question of how.

You might associate his name more with T20 and T10 formats, but with the ability to deliver inswingers at 135-140kmph on a consistent basis, Ali Khan is my next pick. When you can impress a guy like Courtney Walsh in a trial game, you know you're onto something good. He is attacking, no matter what format he has played thus far, but he knows when to defend and can bowl a few overs just before the final 5 if need be. YouTube has shown a few bouncers from him, probably not that effective, but with a good captain and a set field, he can bowl to it. He regularly took wickets in the WCL that got the USA back to ODI status, and he showed that he can be just as good as for 10 overs as he is with 4.

That's a pretty potent new-ball attack, and with the strike rates of him and Mustafizur being that low, a team could quickly find themselves 36/2 after 8 overs.

He is Pakistani by birth, and his original country could do much worse than putting him in the coloured kit sooner rather than later. Current ICC rules allow this without a waiting period, as he'd be stepping up from an Associate to a Full Member.

(Just to add, since his CPL stint with the Trinbago Knight Riders, every single woman in the country between the ages of 5 and 105 has taken a massive liking to him. My girlfriend would kill me if I didn't include him in the squad.)

2. Calum MacLeod
6. Kevin O'Brien
7. Tatenda Taibu
10. Mustafizur Rahman
11. Ali Khan

Minus 1 point.

Points available - 17

@Yash.

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
I got a chance to watch Ali Khan live during the GT20 matches. He is a special talent, I hope cricket USA can take full advantage of him. I was going to pick him on my team, but i figured I'd rather pick more experienced bowlers instead

Akshay.

National Board President
India
Mumbai Indians
Champions League Winner
Profile Flag
India
Well, my next two picks are among the fastest bowlers in ODI cricket, the two Trans-Tasmanian cricketers, :aus: :bwl: Brett Lee and :nzf: :bwl: Shane Bond. Though they will cost 3 points each, it will be fun to have two of them bowling in tandem.

BL.jpg
:aus: :bwl: Brett Lee
Statistics
ODI-
380 wickets @ 23.36 (9 5W, BBI 5/22) in 221 Matches
List A - 438 wickets @ 24.05 (10 5W, BBI 5/22) in 262 Matches

SB.jpg
:nzf: :bwl: Shane Bond
Statistics
ODI-
147 wickets @ 20.88 (4 5W, BBI 6/19) in 82 Matches
List A - 214 wickets @ 23.75 (5 5W, BBI 6/19) in 135 Matches