Champions League Thread (the dawn of time - 2014)

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I've always been someone who didn't really understand the hype of Hamsik. He's never really impressed me. Occasionally he comes up with something brilliant but it's so few and far between that he really can't be classed as a fantastic player. He's nowhere near the standard of Cavani and Lavezzi.

I'd quite like to see Vargas play alongside Cavani and Lavezzi more. He looks like a really exciting player.

From what I have seen of Hamsik, he's has become really consistent now - the talent and skill were always there. He has got excellent vision (Iniesta-esque), provides assists and can score too. I'm surprised that you feel his performances are few and far in between, because he's been very consistent, atleast over the last two years.

Comparisons to Cavani and Lavezzi are not wise but in terms of ability I feel he is at par or slightly better than the latter. But the way the three work together is amazing.

BKB1991

Panel of Selectors
I'm not so sure. There's just too bloody many Clasicos, it's really tiresome.

Would much prefer a non-Spanish team in the final, or better yet, no Spanish teams!

I wouldnt mind Bayern having a crack at one of them. Plus its @ Munich so even better.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Yep I'd like something like that too. The 2004-05 Europa League final in Lisbon was the last time such a thing was witnessed - Sporting v CSKA in the final. Atmosphere was electric as always in Lisbon, too bad they lost 3-1 after taking the lead. That entire week was a memorable one for me for obvious reasons. :D

6ry4nj

International Coach
I'm not so sure. There's just too bloody many Clasicos, it's really tiresome.

Would much prefer a non-Spanish team in the final, or better yet, no Spanish teams!
I don't mind Spanish teams per se, it's just those two that I don't wanna see. :lol

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
A 6-0 bashing of Hertha Berlin yesterday means that's 20 goals for Bayern Munich in their last 3 competitive fixtures. Seem to be having so much fun that they actually play rock-paper-scissors to determine who gets to take a free kick!

Last edited by a moderator:

AkshayC

County Cricketer
Ref ruined the whole match, Barca v Milan, penalty claim on sanchez was denied.
Ended with a f****** draw! :eek:
Hope! Barca could perform better in 2nd leg. :thumbs

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Ref ruined the whole match, Barca v Milan, penalty claim on sanchez was denied.
Ended with a f****** draw! :eek:
Hope! Barca could perform better in 2nd leg. :thumbs

Regarding the Sanchez penalty claim I know the rules state its a penalty but I honestly thing its a loop hole that players take advantage of. I have seen so many times that the attacking player on realizing that there is a certain chance of contact with the defender or goalkeeper just gets a random touch on the ball to get it out of the play before running into the defender/goalkeeper. I do not think such cases should be given even though it might be very difficult for the officials to differentiate and identify such cases.

But in this particular case, that final touch that Sanchez had on the ball basically put in a non-goalscoring position and the ball was almost certain to go have gone out or Sanchez would be in an extremely difficult angle to do anything with it. His intent was just get a touch and get it out of the way.

Not a penalty for me.

Must also say that Sanchez' reputation of going down easily might have also worked against him there.

AkshayC

County Cricketer
Milan players too played well after that shocking miss from robinho at the start of the game.Talking about Antonini, two great blocks, Ambrosini job etc.
Guardiola said san siro pitch was pathetic.It was not watered. Mr. Guardiola give major priority to the team performance not to the pitch.:D

----------

But in this particular case, that final touch that Sanchez had on the ball basically put in a non-goalscoring position and the ball was almost certain to go have gone out or Sanchez would be in an extremely difficult angle to do anything with it. His intent was just get a touch and get it out of the way.
agreed but according to me it should have given.

JBlues08

Club Captain
Annoying really that Barcelona, more often than not, moan and complain whenever they could not win games like this. Yes, the pitch maybe bad but just get on with it!

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
I say it a lot. Barcelona are the best football team in the world, they're also the best cheats and the best moaners. I've grown to hate them just because of their histrionics.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
I say it a lot. Barcelona are the best football team in the world, they're also the best cheats and the best moaners. I've grown to hate them just because of their histrionics.

Indeed. Moaning about a referee's decision is the biggest example of this, considering how every match they get a number of decisions their way that shouldn't go their way.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Messi, Busquets, Xavi are constantly "talking" to the ref. Not moaning, just talking :rolleyes

They're basically not morons like most English footballers, so they influence much more subtly.

Users who are viewing this thread