Commentary Bias

rickyp

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I was watching the cricket yesterday and I think ive picked up on the most obvious bias of commentary possible.

Adam Gilchrist a couple of matches threw his wicket away slashing at a wide one while he was still on 1

Mal Loye last match threw his wicket away slashing at a wide one while he was on 9

Ian Healy on Adam Gilchrist, "Thats just Gilly, he plays the way he does he is bound to throw his wicket away every so often"

Bill Lawry on Adam Gilchrist, "Your right heals thats just the way he plays his game, the team wouldnt care if he does that every so often."

Ian Healy on Mal Loye, "You cant play international cricket if your just going to throw your wicket away like that, its disgraceful stroke play"

Bill lawry on Mal Loye, "Thats a terrible shot and they really needed someone to stay there till the end"

Dont quote me on the exact words they used, but anyone that watched it can back me up. Point being, if you want to prove Australian Commentary bias there it is :)

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Bill Lawry has always been like that. He's just an idiot.

A few hypothetical situations;

Bell edges it threw the slips and it's a definite edge, Ponting does the same and it's a controlled dab to third man.

Any Australian attempt at a run-out is always miles out even if they are clearly in. Every not given lbw shout is a dodgy decision and every wicket taking ball is a fantastic delivery.

I may have exaggerated a bit, but Lawry gets on my nerves.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Mark Nicholas used to annoy me as well. He seems to spend his whole day praising the players without a negative word to say.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
And if your English just listen to BBC Radio 5 Live because the commentary team there is superb.

On the bias issue though, Paul Allot is very favourable to any Lancashire player on the international scene. It's sometimes impossible watching Lancashire county games on Sky when he's commentating because he hypes the up so much. Even as a Lancashire fan it's irritating to here.

MUFC1987 said:
Mark Nicholas used to annoy me as well. He seems to spend his whole day praising the players without a negative word to say.

Not to mention he over-exaggerates everything as well.

"That was a quite thrillingly gorgeous forward-defensive. Riveting stuff here".

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I find Atherton is a bit like that with regards to Flintoff. He seems to say how he is the best bowler even if someone like Anderson has 2-30, compared to Flintoff's 0-40.

kodos

International Coach
rickyp said:
a tip to all, mute everyone bar mark nicholas and turn on 774

That is what most people do mate, no one can stand the bias and ridiculous commentary of nine no longer. Mute Channel 9 and listen to ABC throughout the game with the great Kerry O'Keefe in action. I'm glad that an Aussie fan finally have realised how useless Ian Healy is, he's terribly biased, talks as if he knows the game inside out and constantly criticizes opposition players if they make one simple mistake yet I can't see him doing any better out there in the middle.

Bill Lawry is not bad at times, but he is becoming increasingly vex in the past couple of years. He praises every single Victorian as if they are a legend of the game i.e White and Hodge but in actual fact they've really only presented one decent inningas and other than that are useless. The amount of times he says "Got Him" and screams like a girl is getting tiring now.

kodos

International Coach
Yep thats why I and many others love him, his laugh is unique and also makes some darn good jokes when the game is in a mundane patch. Plus he has good knowledge of the game and is fair to both teams, much like the other ABC commentators. I'd love to see ABC broadcasting the games on TV and using the same radio commentators, I can't see it getting any worse than nine.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
MUFC1987 said:
I find Atherton is a bit like that with regards to Flintoff. He seems to say how he is the best bowler even if someone like Anderson has 2-30, compared to Flintoff's 0-40.

In fairness though, near enough every English commentator is like that towards Flintoff.

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
rickyp said:
I was watching the cricket yesterday and I think ive picked up on the most obvious bias of commentary possible.

Adam Gilchrist a couple of matches threw his wicket away slashing at a wide one while he was still on 1

Mal Loye last match threw his wicket away slashing at a wide one while he was on 9

Ian Healy on Adam Gilchrist, "Thats just Gilly, he plays the way he does he is bound to throw his wicket away every so often"

Bill Lawry on Adam Gilchrist, "Your right heals thats just the way he plays his game, the team wouldnt care if he does that every so often."

Ian Healy on Mal Loye, "You cant play international cricket if your just going to throw your wicket away like that, its disgraceful stroke play"

Bill lawry on Mal Loye, "Thats a terrible shot and they really needed someone to stay there till the end"

Dont quote me on the exact words they used, but anyone that watched it can back me up. Point being, if you want to prove Australian Commentary bias there it is :)
Its double standards favoring a well established legend of sorts over a new comer who has yet to prove himself. Not entirely unfair IMO.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
nightprowler10 said:
Its double standards favoring a well established legend of sorts over a new comer who has yet to prove himself. Not entirely unfair IMO.

Fair point but I don't think you can play the experience card in this debate. Loye and Gilchrist are both pinch-hitting openers and that is what they should be judged on. A bad shot is a bad shot no matter how experienced you are or are not.

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
evertonfan said:
Fair point but I don't think you can play the experience card in this debate. Loye and Gilchrist are both pinch-hitting openers and that is what they should be judged on. A bad shot is a bad shot no matter how experienced you are or are not.
Yeah but a batsman who has come through for his team more often than not deserves some room for error, no?

genghis_khan

International Cricketer
kodos said:
Bill Lawry is not bad at times, but he is becoming increasingly vex in the past couple of years. He praises every single Victorian as if they are a legend of the game i.e White and Hodge but in actual fact they've really only presented one decent inningas and other than that are useless.

All Vics are like that.

Also the amount of times i heard Lawry describe Pietersen and Flintoff as "big strong men" got annoying. It's not bias or anything but still...

langerrox

International Coach
rickyp said:
the kok is a true legend of the game, i love his laugh, sounds like a cat being gutted
kerry is an icon of the game, but ABC have made him tone down the jokes etc, all the oldies were complaining

Users who are viewing this thread