Commonwealth Games

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
It's just like football in England, Brazil etc. Countries can be obsessed with one sport its nothing new.

Thats a good point on Russia and China, whatever works for them I guess.

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
aussie1st said:
Why is that? They were going to be the top nation in the olympics sometime in the future, they have spent so much money on developing their talent.

Why?

The same reason Zimbabwe should be thrown out of the ICC and Cricket.
The government in China still send out the death warrant to pregnant women already have the maximum 1 child, It's still happening, that is reason enough imo.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
It won't happen due to the revenue lost.
Politics can't be sorted in sports, and what Culture's do is there business. Unless you want the US to invade another country there isn't much we can do.

***Wiljoy

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
I was walking through our local neighbourhood during the Games,and I heard a young boy,singing the Aussie National Anthem.

Australian's all let us rejoice,for we are one,two three.

I thought at the time it was very typical because the womens 100 metres freestile had just been swum,with Lenton. Henry,and Mills finishing in that order!! :happy

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I haven't heard that song in a while. Too late to change the national anthem cause our current one has so much meaning to some sports people.

genghis_khan

International Cricketer
James219 said:
Yet they haven't had a successful WC campaign yet....

actually they won 1987, the inaugraul WC i think...but since then theyve choked...to france in 1999 and Aus in 2003.

Anyway the anthem is alright the way it is...personally, i dont much like matilda :p

Sman-21

Club Cricketer
Sureshot said:
Why?

The same reason Zimbabwe should be thrown out of the ICC and Cricket.
The government in China still send out the death warrant to pregnant women already have the maximum 1 child, It's still happening, that is reason enough imo.

I thought they got rid of that law a few years ago because there were too many males out numbering women.
Plus with there ageing population they needed to up the birthrate.

Anyone notice how australia never cared about 100m hurdles letalone 400m hurdles but now all of a sudden because of drama queen jana we now love that event.
That is why NZ loves Rugby Union and are obsessed by it, because there the best.
Look at swimming that isnt a popular televised sport anywhere else in the world but because the aussies are good at it we get it televised and it gets plenty of viewers.

James219

International Cricketer
genghis_khan said:
actually they won 1987, the inaugraul WC i think...but since then theyve choked...to france in 1999 and Aus in 2003.

Anyway the anthem is alright the way it is...personally, i dont much like matilda :p

Ok sorry, I didn't realise they'd won in '87. And matilda's quality :p. For some reason I'm not a fan of our current anthem....

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
James219 said:
Ok sorry, I didn't realise they'd won in '87. And matilda's quality :p. For some reason I'm not a fan of our current anthem....
Nah i don't really like Waltzing Matilda much....

I rekon that "We are Australian" song should be our anthem (the telstra add;))

genghis_khan

International Cricketer
.::Stevo::. said:
Nah i don't really like Waltzing Matilda much....

I rekon that "We are Australian" song should be our anthem (the telstra add;))

yeh i prefer that song to matilda and the current anthem. we always sung it at primary school...not a bad song :D

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Sman-21 said:
I thought they got rid of that law a few years ago because there were too many males out numbering women.
Plus with there ageing population they needed to up the birthrate.

Anyone notice how australia never cared about 100m hurdles letalone 400m hurdles but now all of a sudden because of drama queen jana we now love that event.
That is why NZ loves Rugby Union and are obsessed by it, because there the best.
Look at swimming that isnt a popular televised sport anywhere else in the world but because the aussies are good at it we get it televised and it gets plenty of viewers.

I'm still not fully into hurdles but I love swimming because the Aussies have been winning. Once the swimming was over I didn't give the commonwealth my full attention apart from the triathlon and cycling.

Users who are viewing this thread