Crcket 2005 batting question

erm its really easy to bat actually :s its still a better game than mr laras!

saying that i just tied a one dayer, one run needed to win and i edged it to slip losing my last wicket :( had come back from 87-7 to reach 256 then mess it up! properly annoying

its really easy to bat? ehh
Ive just been practising in the nets for an hour and I still couldnt figure out the timings.
Went and played a test match England v Bangledesh!
I got 91 ao in my 1st innings and 65 ao in my second.. dohh I was trying to take it easy and not hit anything but in the 2nd innings I was out lbw 6 times doing that. Needless to say I was easily beaten.
I tried a second game but when i was 13-5 I nearly chucked the pc out the window so I decided to have a break.
Anyone got any tips at all?

not any tips pal as i havent purchased the game yet but this thread has made my mind certain that im going to get cricket 2005 ASAP

but what i do want to say is that i have noticed a surrey and a somerset fan in here i would like to represent my county team LANCASHIRE and other lancashire fans in here?

peteee23 said:
I tried a second game but when i was 13-5 I nearly chucked the pc out the window

:laugh

I personally find the batting quite hard too. You do need to play yourself in and get the confidence up, but even then, it's up to you if you want to risk slogging high shots for the boundary with the perpetual risk of being caught.

I'm definitely still learning but I'm finding it's a good idea to try a variety of shots to different type of ball to see what works. Play a few matches without worrying about what score you get or trying to win, but just seeing what shots work in a match situation.

I'm starting to realise that there is a decent choice of shots to play off many balls that I would normally only thought of playing one type of shot to. The more things you try, the more shots you realise you can play, and the more depth you see the game has, unlike that shallow BLIC nonsense.

At first, I was being very careful and doing loads of blocking or just basic front foot straight drives, trying to get the batsman's confidence up, but wasn't scoring much, so confidence was staying low, and I would get frustrated and just try a big slog....and get caught.

But now I am trying far more glances here and there and picking up far more singles and seeing the batsmans confidence rise more quickly, thus offering better chances of success on the more risky big shots.

I've also noticed that when playing short limited overs matches (eg. 10 overs), the top order batsmen's confidence will rise very quickly after a few decent shots. It's worth trying to pick up a couple of singles and then try a few big hits over the circle. You still need to get the timing right but if they come off, the confidence shoots up, and you can start playing more big shots and put together good scores in a 10 over match...unlike my first few matches, where I was scoring about 12 runs in 10 overs...and that was on easy mode :brickwall . But I think the confidence meter is scaled so it potentially rises more quickly in short games so you get a chance to put in a decent score, but rises more slowly in longer matches.

So my advice would be to try lots of different shots in games without worrying about trying to win. Just learn the game for a few days by playing matches without fear of getting out or losing. Then, when you know how to play and have a better idea of what you can try to different types of delivery, start playing competitively.

And don't spend too much time in the nets....learn about timing but that's about it. The commentators advice is often wrong anyway. I got bowled a bouncer, my guy played and missed, it hit him square on the head, he fell over right onto his stumps in a crumpled mess, and the commentators perceptive advice was "good shot!!" :rolleyes: .

Last edited:
ta
I think a good move for me would be to change to "easy mode"
I am on medium at the moment.

Well I just tried to carefully work my way into the batting.
After 10 overs I was 18-0 and both batsman had nout on the confidence meter
I ended up all out for 47. Bl00dy spinner got me lbw 4 times.
Btw I had at least 3 times I thought I had someone lbw but my blokes didnt even appeal. Do we have to appeal ourselfs?

While playing in a test match do not take risks..to block just press the batsman advance shot with no direction just as it is going to bounce

batting is quite "ok" if you are new player and take difffrent wickets for batting ....the timing is affected ....because on hard pitches the ball comes on to the bat ...very easily... there is good bounce to it ....if you ( in South Africa) play 2-5 matches on hard wicket ...and then play 2-3 matches in eng with green pitch/dry/damp there will be great diffrence in timing

Well I tried again to block to build up the confidence.
I ended up 18-9 against bl00dy bangledesh.
I got 27 ao. and 47 ao in my first innings.
He kept bowling in a postion just outside off stump that was too short for my front foot defence and too long for my back foot defence. I tried an advance defence and he just played around it and i was bowled again.
4 times I got bowled by that. grrrrrrrrrrrr
Any more tips?

peteee23 said:
Well I tried again to block to build up the confidence.
I ended up 18-9 against bl00dy bangledesh.
I got 27 ao. and 47 ao in my first innings.
He kept bowling in a postion just outside off stump that was too short for my front foot defence and too long for my back foot defence. I tried an advance defence and he just played around it and i was bowled again.
4 times I got bowled by that. grrrrrrrrrrrr
Any more tips?

I wish I had a similar experience. Every time I play, they bowl fullish on middle and off. The only way to play to the off side is to bat on or outside leg stump, which invariably leads to gifting wickets.

I am starting to get a bit bored of this already, but if patches can add variation to the bowling and slow the fielders down a bit, I think I would enjoy it a lot more.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with the monotonous middle and off bowling that can easily be tonked over mid on for runs aplenty?

Users who are viewing this thread