Answers to Questions to EA Sports Producer Andrew Wilson: Part 3

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The answers to your third and final batch of questions sent to Andrew Wilson; Producer of Cricket 2005 at EA Sports, have just come back to us.

Admin responded to members asking for more challenging questions to be asked, and Andrew has replied accordingly. In fact not only has he answered the questions sent, but he has written his own thoughts regarding EA and cricket gaming in general

c2005.jpg

Here are the answers in full:

1. In the interviews you did for Cricket 2004, you described many things that would be in the game, but were not in the finished product (presumably due to time constraints?). With that in mind, why should we believe what you say about this game?
I HAVE ALWAYS ENDEAVOURED TO BE HONEST AND DIRECT IN ALL INTERVIEWS THAT I HAVE DONE. AT TIMES, THINGS GET CUT AT THE LAST MINUTE DUE TO TIME CONTRAINTS OR TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES. I ANSWER DIRECTLY EACH AND EVERY TIME?IT IS YOUR CHOICE WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO BELIEVE.

2. In the event of there being any bugs in Cricket 2005 (of course we hope this isn't the case), would you be willing to look at any bug report we give you, and would there be a patch this time?
I WOULD BE HAPPY TO LOOK AT ANY BUG LISTS. AT THE POINT THAT I CAN GAIN A GREATER UNDERSTANDING OF ANY POTENTIAL ISSUES, I WILL BE ABLE TO TALK ABOUT A PATCH.

3. The bug where the team reverts to the default line-up after the re-load of a saved game was in Cricket 2002 and Cricket 2004. So when you say "One of the first things that we do when we start a new game is go through bugs from the previous game and look to ways of fixing them.", have you actually done this for Cricket 2005?
YES.

4. Will EA actually listen to customers complaints this time? Not a single one of our forum's members recieved a useful response from EA Technical Support with regards to Cricket 2004. Will you be able to give personal assurances that any complaints are sufficiently addressed?
THIS IS NOT SOMETHING THAT I BELIEVE THAT I CAN ANSWER. THIS IS FAR TOO SUBJECTIVE. WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT THE QUESTIONS ARE OR THE ANSWERS GIVEN, I CANNOT MAKE JUDGEMENT OR GIVE ANY ASSURANCE AS TO WHETHER IT IS SUFFICIENT. ONE THING I DO KNOW IS THAT WE TRY AND DO ALL WE CAN AS A COMPANY AND OUR TECH SUPPORT GUYS HAVE AN EXTREMELY DIFFICULT JOB SOLVING PROBLEMS OVER THE PHONE OR VIA E-MAIL. WHILE WE WOULD LIKE TO, DUE TO THE SUBJECTIVE NATURE OF THE SUBJECT MATTER, IT IS VERY TOUGH TO PLEASE EVERYONE ALL THE TIME.

5. What is the scheduled date for the release of the demo?
WE ARE PUTTING THE FINISHING TOUCHES ON THIS AT PRESENT. OUR PRIMARY FOCUS WAS ON GETTING THE GAME DONE. I WILL KNOW MORE ABOUT DEMO TIMING IN THE COMING WEEKS.

6. In the screenshots for Cricket 2005, we have seen the following things:
(i) Red ball and white sightscreen used in ODIs.
(ii) Ricky Ponting batted left-handed
(iii) Brett Lee bowling spin
(iv) Ridicously low, and highly un-realistic scores.

Will all these be corrected before the game's release?

YES?THERE IS A LOT OF STUFF THAT CHANGES LATE IN THE CYCLE. WE HAVE A NUMBER OF ?TOOLS? IN THE CODE TO HELP TEST STRANGE SITUATIONS?THESE GET REMEDIED THROUGH THE TESTING PHASE.

7. There are fewer stadiums in Cricket 2005 than in Cricket 2004. It seems to us that this represents a backwards step in terms of gameplay. What forward steps have you taken with regards to gameplay? (NOT GRAPHICS)
I HAVE DISCUSSED GAMEPLAY IN A NUMBER OF PREVIOUS INTERVIEWS. ON THE SUBJECT OF STADIUMS?WE HAVE DEVELOPED A NEW DYNAMIC LIGHTING SYSTEM FOR STADIUMS THAT SEES THE STADIUMS CAST SHADOWS UPON THEMSELVES. THESE STADIUMS TAKE SUBSTANTIALLY LONGER TO BUILD AND AS SUCH, WE COULD NOT COMPLETE AS MANY IN THE TIME THAT WE HAD. WHEN MAKING THE DECISION, WE DID A GREAT DEAL OF FOCUS GROUP TESTING AMOUNG OUR CONSUMERS TO SEE HOW MANY STADIUMS WOULD ACTUALLY BE USED IN GAMEPLAY. WE HAVE THAT WELL AND TRULY COVERED IN CRICKET 2005. PLAYING THROUGH THE GAME, THERE ARE MORE THAN ENOUGH STADIUMS AND THEY LOOK GREAT.

8. You have said in another interview that all international teams would be in the game. I'm sure you're aware that there are almost 100 members of the ICC, so please can you confirm the exact number of international teams and what they comprise of ? Please don't just say something like "all the main international teams."
ALL THE TEAMS THAT QUALIFIED FOR THE 2003 WORLD CUP.

9. In the last batch of answers you sent us was included the following:

Question: Is there rain and Duckworth Lewis in ODIs?
Your answer: DOES ANYBODY TRULY UNDERSTAND THE DUCKWORTH LEWIS RULE?

Many cricket fans understand the Duckworth/Lewis rule. They also expect a cricket game to feature it. So can we please have a serious answer to the following three questions:

(i) Will there be rain in ODIs?
(ii) Will the Duckworth/Lewis method be used?
(iii) If the answer to (ii) is no, what rain rule will be used?

WE DO NOT HAVE RAIN IN ODI?S AND AS SUCH, DO NOT HAVE A NEED FOR THE DUCKWORTH LEWIS RULE. ALTHOUGH YOU BELIEVE THAT MANY PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THE DUCKWORTH LEWIS RULE, MANY MORE DO NOT AND IT IS VERY EASY TO MAKE AN ERROR IN CALCULATION?AS ONE INTERNATIONAL TEAM FOUND OUT NOT SO LONG AGO. WHEN WE BUILD A CRICKET GAME, WE HAVE TO BALANCE THE COMPLEXITY OF THE GAME WITH OUR ABILITY TO APPEAL TO A BROAD CRICKET LOVING AUDIENCE. WITH THE HOST OF OTHER COMPLEX CRICKET ELEMENTS THAT ARE INCLUDED IN CRICKET 2005, THE DUCKWORTH LEWIS RULE DID NOT MAKE THE CUT.

10. Will there be realistic pitch wear, foot marks etc, and if so will this be protrayed graphically as well as gameplay wise. I.e 5th day pitch will clearly show deterioration and will spin more etc
YES, THAT IS THE CASE, HOWEVER, THE EFFECT OF THIS IS BALANCED ACROSS A NUMBER OF OTHER FACTORS?TEMP, WEATHER, TEAMS PLAYING, INDIVIDUAL BOWLER ABILITY ETC.

And finally Andrew's own general comments.........

One thing that I would like to share is that we as a team build the best game possible given time, resources and technology. The development team have worked huge days, (many of them 7 days a week), throughout the entire development cycle as a result of the passion they have for the product and their desire to ship the best cricket game ever. I am very proud of what they have been able to achieve. I would challenge anyone to ?walk a mile in their shoes?. At the end of the day, while some issues have been present in years gone by, (as with all games), EA is the only company that has consistently brought Cricket games to the market over the last 8 or so years?even when it did not always make great business sense. When the community said that they liked Brian Lara/Shane Warne Cricket, we did a deal with the man who designed, produced and tuned the game. When the community said that they wanted a game that looked and felt at the same quality level as FIFA, we undertook a complete technology overhaul at great expense. No other company has shown such commitment to the sport of Cricket. So when evaluating which title to buy?we have always stuck by our consumers?now it is their turn to stick by us.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
It's good to see him addressing somethings, and actually giving some serious answers for a change.

I like him saying that he'll look at bug lists, I really hope he'll keep his word on that one.

Pretty pathetic that the international teams will only be the teams from the 2003 World Cup. What about Hong Kong, UAE and USA, all of whom played ODIs last year?

And EA are fully aware that there will be 16 teams in the next world cup, why not reflect that?

BLIC wins on the international teams, easily.

Still no rain in ODIs. Pathetic.

Howzat

Club Cricketer
Thats the best interview so far in terms of the questions, a lot harder for him to answer...those last comments still won't make me buy this game before BLIC.

durrani1

Club Cricketer
There is no need as such of rain and D/W lewis for ODIs couz most of the people play 20 or 10 over match, but good interview though if they really worked hard then it will be a good game to purchase.

brad352

Executive member
durrani1 said:
There is no need as such of rain and D/W lewis for ODIs couz most of the people play 20 or 10 over match
They do?

Nice to get some direct answers, even if some weren't all that positive- however, I don't think that losing the ability to have your game interrupted by rain, or to play against someone like Hong Kong, is all that significant when you consider everything involved in playing the game.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
E=MC said:
welldone to all the people who sent him those tough questions... lets see if he cracks!!

Doubtful as we are not sending any more

jazz

Panel of Selectors
the new lighting system for shadows in stadiums sounds intresting

hope this not a gimmick to buy the game

crick4life

International Cricketer
Good set of questions and for once no over the top answers or blatant "yes" to everything which will prove otherwise. Guess Andrew has probably realised not being honest with the customers can only carry them so far. Now with an alternate game available he is forced to answer with some honesty at least.

I do for once like his forthright answer about not having rain in ODIs and lack of DL in the game. For once he has checked these with his developers it suggests.

I do not like this answer from him though "YES, THAT IS THE CASE, HOWEVER, THE EFFECT OF THIS IS BALANCED ACROSS A NUMBER OF OTHER FACTORS?TEMP, WEATHER, TEAMS PLAYING, INDIVIDUAL BOWLER ABILITY ETC." Smells like a denial to me the ball will behave differently on different days of a test match in this game.

EA is the only company that has consistently brought Cricket games to the market over the last 8 or so years?even when it did not always make great business sense. When the community said that they liked Brian Lara/Shane Warne Cricket, we did a deal with the man who designed, produced and tuned the game. When the community said that they wanted a game that looked and felt at the same quality level as FIFA, we undertook a complete technology overhaul at great expense. No other company has shown such commitment to the sport of Cricket. So when evaluating which title to buy?we have always stuck by our consumers?now it is their turn to stick by us

No company in this corporate world does anything for charity. Unless EA makes good money out of a cricket game they will not get into this at all. I for one cannot believe they are coming up with newer version to satisfy the cricket lovers around the world, absolutely not. The games aren't priced any less either, it was over NZ $100 the Cricket 2004. They funded the Cricket 2004 and Cricket 2005 is based on the same game with some changes which is not going to cost as much to produce as compared to a new product. It's a win-win for EA however you look at it.

I always used to be the first to buy these games from EA but this time around only after having played with a barrowed copy(X-Box version) will I even think about buying Cricket2005.

Nads

School Cricketer
i am very happy with his answers!!

i do not care if there is no rain or D/L method as probably they wouldnt even matter in the end!

i also dont care about crap teams like Hong Kong and UAE ! as if anyone is actually going to play as them!
Youd want to play as the best teams against another best team!

Thirdly i stand by him about him saying that EA is the only company which has carried on making cricket games for us!! EVEN BLIC went out and now they come back after soo many years!! Atleast EA gave us some cricket games like 2004 which BTW i did enjoy playing in its time!

also him saying that there will be foot marks etc sounds very very interesting!!

anyway how often do u get to see a new cricket game releasing?

IM BUYING BOTH BLIC AND CRICKET2005 FIRST DAY OF RELEASE NO QUESTION ABOUT IT!!

this will give a wide variety of choice to play aswell!! because if u want relistic looking and highly good graphics with real faces theres EAs game! otherwise if u want good gameplay and relistically feeling game then theres BLIC with crap graphics and fake faces!!

------------
btw does anyone know how the manual fielding is in crick2005! is it as fun as BLICs because in that u can throw direct to stumps if u get the target right! Is that in EAs game or is it just auto throw to stumps???

QuickFire

School Cricketer
Nads said:
anyway how often do u get to see a new cricket game releasing?
hmm...Cricket 2004...Cricket 2005
If EA gets full time behind it..we mite see a new version each year!
good for cricket gaming community ;)

brad352

Executive member
QuickFire said:
hmm...Cricket 2004...Cricket 2005
If EA gets full time behind it..we mite see a new version each year!
good for cricket gaming community ;)
Well the years would end up quite a way behind considering their development cycle is 18 months- unless you just want a bug fix/ graphics upgrade every year

aprofromindia

Club Cricketer
I think I am gonna buy both games and good job zimrahil and andrew, I think both gamess gonna rock and about graphics I think both games got solid graphics, e.g. FIFA and PES both got gr8 graphics, to be honest overall I prefer PES and never played FIFA after the first game, so graphcs as always dont cut it. :happy

01tstraw

School Cricketer
both at realeas date for me aswell, 2 great games can't wait, go ea and codies, keep up the goood work, why isnt there a fact of the day for cricket 2005 aswell that wud be gr8.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
7. There are fewer stadiums in Cricket 2005 than in Cricket 2004. It seems to us that this represents a backwards step in terms of gameplay. What forward steps have you taken with regards to gameplay? (NOT GRAPHICS)
I HAVE DISCUSSED GAMEPLAY IN A NUMBER OF PREVIOUS INTERVIEWS. ON THE SUBJECT OF STADIUMS?WE HAVE DEVELOPED A NEW DYNAMIC LIGHTING SYSTEM FOR STADIUMS THAT SEES THE STADIUMS CAST SHADOWS UPON THEMSELVES. THESE STADIUMS TAKE SUBSTANTIALLY LONGER TO BUILD AND AS SUCH, WE COULD NOT COMPLETE AS MANY IN THE TIME THAT WE HAD. WHEN MAKING THE DECISION, WE DID A GREAT DEAL OF FOCUS GROUP TESTING AMOUNG OUR CONSUMERS TO SEE HOW MANY STADIUMS WOULD ACTUALLY BE USED IN GAMEPLAY. WE HAVE THAT WELL AND TRULY COVERED IN CRICKET 2005. PLAYING THROUGH THE GAME, THERE ARE MORE THAN ENOUGH STADIUMS AND THEY LOOK GREAT.
The underlined part wasn't answered...not happy about it.
I also agree with them not including D/L, I mean RSA neede 22 of 1 ball 'cause of that. How would you feel if that happened to you? Not very happy I guess. Rain without D/L still would have been good, but sadly not there:(

Makes no difference to me however...I am not buying it:(

Users who are viewing this thread