Cricket 19 General Discussion

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I've noticed this too. The AI seem to be way more responsive, more varied dismissals and just in general a better overall experience in 20/20 and 50 over cricket compared with first class cricket. Makes me wonder if they put more effort into those two formats, programming wise, as they're the most popular, personally I'm a massive fan of first class/ test cricket myself over the other formats.
I think a big factor is in ODI/T20 you expect to see big hitting and, however this sort of thing is programmed to work, it's going to make it easier to have catches and other dismissals with more variety.

Test cricket is a different beast in so many ways. There's no fixed duration (5 days of course but it's not limited by overs) so I think it's got to be more difficult to get a natural/realistic flow. Every ball has to mean something, not like condensing 90 minutes of football into 15 minutes. It's an area where the game mechanics need tuning for sure.

Mouseydread

Associate Captain
Just had another outfield catch in a test. Think I’m into my 22nd Test and this is the 2nd catch... Dave Lawrence rubbing miles to catch a Jayasuriya skier off Botham, and only just staying inside the boundary.

will post some vid later

I don't get the outfield catch issue? I am sure it must have existed as many people have complained. Am I missing something, I see outfield catches fairly regularly, especially AI vs AI. Do they mean no running outfield catches? I recall in the Social Distancing Shield many catches inside the boudary ropes but in the outfield being made. Like I say am I missing something or it only if you play against the AI?

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I don't get the outfield catch issue? I am sure it must have existed as many people have complained. Am I missing something, I see outfield catches fairly regularly, especially AI vs AI. Do they mean no running outfield catches? I recall in the Social Distancing Shield many catches inside the boudary ropes but in the outfield being made. Like I say am I missing something or it only if you play against the AI?

I think very specifically it’s The AI batting vs Human batting in Tests.

in the 20-odd tests I’ve played I’ve had 2 outfield catches, and a few ring catches, otherwise every catch is exclusively edges to keeper and slip.

move played very few ODI and shorter matches, but they are certainly more frequent in those matches, it’s just the longer formats.

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I had a catch at fine leg last night, not on the boundary. Playing a Test (non-career) - to be fair hit it straight at him and didn't have to move.
Unrelated - I really wish your name had an 'a' at the end so I could say "Kree!" lol.

Ed Smith

Gaffer
ENG....
Northern Superchargers
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
Ok so I have not played Cricket 19 much of late during this lockdown but mainly spent time with the family in between work from home. In fact, during the last month, I think I have played only 2 test matches. But, as is their nature, the best things would always happen when you least expect those. Today was one of those days.

I think, to some extent, I have figured out how batsmen coming down the wicket in Cricket 19 test matches could be triggered. At least, for standard hard pitches.

Of course, I cannot say with 100 percent certainty that this will work all the time. However, I tried it today and saw the batsmen coming down the wicket not once or twice, but on 7 occasions within a span of I think 33-35 overs (spinner overs=10-12). Out of these 7 instances, 3 were dismissals, including a stumping with proper animation (oh yes, it does exist!).

Here’s the link to my video where you can see how the Australia 98/99 batsmen came down the wicket to play spinners like Richards and Gomes. It was pure bliss to see the centurion Taylor and the almost-centurion Gilchrist get out after coming down the wicket. Recently, I took the decision not to bowl spinners for more than 4 overs per session as they take away all the competition that the AI batsmen can put up. This is true even with settings of AI timing 90 and wicket chance 10 in the first innings, everything else on hard and legend. However, once I saw the batsman coming down the wicket for the first time, I thought maybe I should experiment a bit. Rotated the two spinners from one end while having a pacer from the other side. The results were a pleasant surprise. Not only is dancing down the wicket a reality in Cricket 19, but stumping too!

Just some days back, I was watching Chris Swift’s video on how stumpings and outfield catches were missing from Cricket 19 but were there in Ashes Cricket 17. Cricket 19 is my first Big Ant game, and I was also bothered by an absolute lack of those (ok, I’ve had one outfield catch before when the batsmen came down the wicket, but that has been the only 1 in my 18 tests.). I’m glad that the stumping plan has worked for me. I will be experimenting more but thought about sharing this here so that you all can give it a shot. Makes the game so much better. Tagging @blockerdave @Langeveldt @ChrisCricket @Dutch @wasteyouryouth @Gamer Pradosh @DalePlaysCricket

Anyways, this is what I would recommend for stumpings:

1. Get the spin flight to at least 70. AI loves to hit loopy deliveries.

2. Get spin bounce to 60. This will help in the AI mistiming.

3. This works mainly for set batsmen with defensive or very defensive fields with at least 5-6 outfielders. They will go for the lofted shots. If he is the aggressive type, it’s even better. However, I have seen this plan work against tail-enders (the dominant scorer in the partnership) too in custom fields with only 1-2 outfielders.

4. Also, try this when the batsmen are in their 40s and 90s. I love how Big Ant’s AI gets nervous while approaching a milestone.

5. Shock the AI with part-time spinners, especially if the established pacemen are keeping it very tight at the other end. It worked for me. I had Marshal, Garner, and Holding hurling fireballs from both ends before giving the Aussies some respite in the form of Gomes and Richards. Not sure, but I think the huge change of pace during successive overs also helps.

6. Have the keeper up. Bowl the typical 3-4 normal deliveries to create pressure. During the last two deliveries, at least once, try to bowl very far outside off so that he would not reach it. This will be the wicket-taking ball. Bowling outside leg also triggers the batsmen advancing, although I did not take any wickets. Must have to be really wide.

7. If he picks up the wide flighted ones well, then, in the next over, try the same line and length with bounce (faster delivery) which would shock him.

8. Have either silly point or short leg for the wicket-taking delivery. If not being stumped, batsmen could balloon it up as well.

9. If your spinner is not getting the batsmen to come down the wicket in 4 overs, switch to a different bowler.

10. Have patience. Don’t overdo the flight and bounce. Stick to a maybe one stumping delivery per over.

That’s it. I hope this works for you all. Try it, and share your experience too. :D

Going to try these setting and see if I can remember how to play this

Mouseydread

Associate Captain
Ok so I have not played Cricket 19 much of late during this lockdown but mainly spent time with the family in between work from home. In fact, during the last month, I think I have played only 2 test matches. But, as is their nature, the best things would always happen when you least expect those. Today was one of those days.

I think, to some extent, I have figured out how batsmen coming down the wicket in Cricket 19 test matches could be triggered. At least, for standard hard pitches.

Of course, I cannot say with 100 percent certainty that this will work all the time. However, I tried it today and saw the batsmen coming down the wicket not once or twice, but on 7 occasions within a span of I think 33-35 overs (spinner overs=10-12). Out of these 7 instances, 3 were dismissals, including a stumping with proper animation (oh yes, it does exist!).

Here’s the link to my video where you can see how the Australia 98/99 batsmen came down the wicket to play spinners like Richards and Gomes. It was pure bliss to see the centurion Taylor and the almost-centurion Gilchrist get out after coming down the wicket. Recently, I took the decision not to bowl spinners for more than 4 overs per session as they take away all the competition that the AI batsmen can put up. This is true even with settings of AI timing 90 and wicket chance 10 in the first innings, everything else on hard and legend. However, once I saw the batsman coming down the wicket for the first time, I thought maybe I should experiment a bit. Rotated the two spinners from one end while having a pacer from the other side. The results were a pleasant surprise. Not only is dancing down the wicket a reality in Cricket 19, but stumping too!

Just some days back, I was watching Chris Swift’s video on how stumpings and outfield catches were missing from Cricket 19 but were there in Ashes Cricket 17. Cricket 19 is my first Big Ant game, and I was also bothered by an absolute lack of those (ok, I’ve had one outfield catch before when the batsmen came down the wicket, but that has been the only 1 in my 18 tests.). I’m glad that the stumping plan has worked for me. I will be experimenting more but thought about sharing this here so that you all can give it a shot. Makes the game so much better. Tagging @blockerdave @Langeveldt @ChrisCricket @Dutch @wasteyouryouth @Gamer Pradosh @DalePlaysCricket

3. This works mainly for set batsmen with defensive or very defensive fields with at least 5-6 outfielders. They will go for the lofted shots. If he is the aggressive type, it’s even better. However, I have seen this plan work against tail-enders (the dominant scorer in the partnership) too in custom fields with only 1-2 outfielders.

4. Also, try this when the batsmen are in their 40s and 90s. I love how Big Ant’s AI gets nervous while approaching a milestone.

5. Shock the AI with part-time spinners, especially if the established pacemen are keeping it very tight at the other end. It worked for me. I had Marshal, Garner, and Holding hurling fireballs from both ends before giving the Aussies some respite in the form of Gomes and Richards. Not sure, but I think the huge change of pace during successive overs also helps.

6. Have the keeper up. Bowl the typical 3-4 normal deliveries to create pressure. During the last two deliveries, at least once, try to bowl very far outside off so that he would not reach it. This will be the wicket-taking ball. Bowling outside leg also triggers the batsmen advancing, although I did not take any wickets. Must have to be really wide.

7. If he picks up the wide flighted ones well, then, in the next over, try the same line and length with bounce (faster delivery) which would shock him.

8. Have either silly point or short leg for the wicket-taking delivery. If not being stumped, batsmen could balloon it up as well.

9. If your spinner is not getting the batsmen to come down the wicket in 4 overs, switch to a different bowler.

10. Have patience. Don’t overdo the flight and bounce. Stick to a maybe one stumping delivery per over.

That’s it. I hope this works for you all. Try it, and share your experience too. :D

Watching an AI vs AI with some retro players, I now have seen two players dance down the wicket, Gus Logie to avoid being a hatrick ball he played the ball away, I think for a single from leg spinner Somachandra de Silva and then another player dancing down the wicket to de Silva for a stumping. Thanks for your post. All of these in a 3 wicket sequence that saw and outfield catch and a diving catch in the covers. This on a grassy soft pitch.

Sahil70

Club Captain

Very useful info given

Gave it a try and yes I had two set batsmen eventually advancing to spinners. Smashed a few but eventually one of them missed one and yipee a stumping although the animation of the keeper was the terrible running and flicking the ball back and not just whipping the bails off.

Last edited:

zayno

Club Captain
how do you play the back foot cut shot ? on xbox one i keep getting the backfoot cover drive ? please help

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

Absolutely, specifically only test cricket.

Anything limited overs works like a dream.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Watching an AI vs AI with some retro players, I now have seen two players dance down the wicket, Gus Logie to avoid being a hatrick ball he played the ball away, I think for a single from leg spinner Somachandra de Silva and then another player dancing down the wicket to de Silva for a stumping. Thanks for your post. All of these in a 3 wicket sequence that saw and outfield catch and a diving catch in the covers. This on a grassy soft pitch.

What kind of sliders?

And you do mean a test match right?

Last edited:

Ashy-90

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
India
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Moises Henriques looks deleted after patches , now he's not in Aus squad .. i just noticed

Users who are viewing this thread