Cricket 19 General Discussion

beechcroft

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
Nice to hear a little more from MattW on the scenario editor. Despite having spent possibly around 91% of my time in all previous BA DBC and Ashes cricket games in career mode, the new scenario editor sounds like a great innovation. We will obviously have to wait before we get an idea of exactly what we can do with it but, if well executed, it could be a lot of fun. I do hope that we can edit more than just team names and match position to better recreate the match rules as they were at the time. I am not expecting to be able to faithfully reproduce the scenario of John Small coming in to bat for Hambleton to hit the winning runs in that enthralling third game against Chertsey in the 1764 season but I would imagine many of us will be looking back several decades to relive some of the great matches we watched, listen to, read about or followed ball-for-ball on CEEFAX (for those who have never heard of CEEFAX it was to Cricinfo Live Coverage what Pong was to Grand Theft Auto V).

I don't know how the scenario editor will handle the changes to rules, aesthetics, equipment and cricket grounds for just, say, the last 40 years, let alone earlier. I suspect that it won't cover everything that would really allow us to recreate those great moments in cricketing history that form so much of a causal link as to why many of us have ended up here at PC. That said, I hope there is enough there to give us an engaging time trying to rewrite or emulate great games of the past...rather than just having the ability to replay some instantly forgettable T20 match.

Oooh! I'd like to play as WG when he allegedly said, on being bowled and refusing to leave, "they haven't come to see you bowl, they've come to see me bat."

Except I'd update it to the 2019 Ashes :)

eddo_1025

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I'd definitely like to see a change in how you are offered contracts in career mode. It seems very unrealistic that when you receive a contract offer from say the BBL, you get an offer from all 8 teams, especially when you are still early in your career. It would be more interesting if only two/three teams gave you an offer and you had to consider which team would be the best fit for you. Also the ability to switch teams after the end of the season would be nice, as other teams approach you with contract offers as you develop into a better player. From memory this was the case in DBC14. None the less really looking forward to what Big Ant have in store for us. Bring on May!

Kass D

County Cricketer
I don’t think anyone is arrogant of being a beta tester and giving up their free time to help produce a better game for all.

I think what it does do though, is the little extra insight we were given in the past highlights how much rubbish is spoken in these threads even more!

You personally did a magnificent job last time, not only testing but communicating with rest of us. I hope you will be part of the beta team this time as well mate.

I do get that most of us post utter rubbish on these threads due to lack of information and all of us love to speculate, for testers this must be frustrating to read but you guys must understand all hard core cricket gamers would love to be involved in the production process of their game.

gillyboy04

Associate Cricketer
AUS..
Profile Flag
Australia
I’m hoping that medium-fast gets added as an option for bowling speeds.
As some have said already myself and Matt included I believe, there isn't really any difference seen between Fast-Medium or Medium-Fast. They're pretty much the same thing like you've got slow/spin, Medium, Fast-Medium and Fast bowling speeds.

There is much bigger issues that we'd want to look at instead of this, it's a minor detail. Although I would like to see the pace of Medium Pacers increased, I found most bowled roughly around 100km/h - 110km/h in Ashes where in real life it's more like 120-130km/h, Fast-Medium is 130-140 and Fast is 140+. Beg to differ.

Last edited:

gillyboy04

Associate Cricketer
AUS..
Profile Flag
Australia
How soon exactly though? that's what I'd like to know. The same answer that they're giving to everyone who has asked over the past few weeks. Shouldn't be too long now though as the game releases in only two months exactly now pretty much. Patience is a virtue. I can wait if it's something great, which I'm sure Cricket 19 will be just that!

PjPage59

Club Captain
As some have said already myself and Matt included I believe, there isn't really any difference seen between Fast-Medium or Medium-Fast. They're pretty much the same thing like you've got slow/spin, Medium, Fast-Medium and Fast bowling speeds.

There is much bigger issues that we'd want to look at instead of this, it's a minor detail. Although I would like to see the pace of Medium Pacers increased, I found most bowled roughly around 100km/h - 110km/h in Ashes where in real life it's more like 120-130km/h, Fast-Medium is 130-140 and Fast is 140+. Beg to differ.
I just didn’t think it was all that easy to set speeds for bowlers who bowl in between medium and fast-medium. It took a lot of time to get the stats right. I know there are bigger issues but they’ve already been detailed a lot so I’m thinking of other things.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I don’t think anyone is arrogant of being a beta tester and giving up their free time to help produce a better game for all.

I think what it does do though, is the little extra insight we were given in the past highlights how much rubbish is spoken in these threads even more!

Obviously, being a beta tester was awesome for the additional insight, early access etc.

But, and i know this is the planet cricket equivalent of a "first world problem" but what people outside the process don't appreciate is that isn't ALL awesome.

The point of the process wasn't just for us to suggest stuff BA might not have thought of, but catch issues before it went public. so you could be in the middle of a cool match, load a beta update that had a big issue in it, and your match wiped out. Or an update went out and we wanted to test something so you're not "just playing" but doing a specific thing over and over to see if the change is there, too subtle, too bored.

again, being a tester was cool and that was a tradeoff that was worth it. but people shouldn't have the idea it was just playing the game but earlier...

i hope there's a beta process for cricket 19, and i hope it's mostly the same guys (with perhaps some new blood). without question the game would be better for it and we should be grateful to them rather than calling them arrogant, a clique or whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread