Cricket 22 General Discussion thread (Use bug report thread for issues/bugs/crashes | Patch notes in first post)

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
@Slug1793 Yeah but what relevance can Match Difficulty have if you then have sliders which can negate whatever effect that choice is meant to have? Like I said I can have Match Diff on hardest but then just have my sliders on easy and AI set to Rookie so what use is it?

Also for all of you ODI players I've had some interesting results and eager to tinker some more if I can tonight.

AUS(me) vs NZ(cpu)
DRY/GREEN
1st INNING, NZ 207-10
MATCH DIFF: EASIEST, AI DIFF: ROOKIE

Alright so I had a bowl to these guys with really easy settings compared to the Hard/Vet region which just get you carted and the results have been very interesting. I got 2 catches in the infield @blockerdave @WealeyH one being a wild drive to point who had to dive low to get it shame I don't have recording and the second being that flamboyant legside slog they do on one leg which went to backward point felt lovely! A lot of edges, nice lbw appeals and some lovely bowled out dismissals. The general feel was a bit repetitive and I just left whatever default field was on which didn't leave much room to score but the AI on higher difficulties do find a way. The cpu batted in a much more calculated way with run rate being around the 3-4 region for the most part, however I noticed towards the end they did really start to go for it in the last 5 overs which felt quite real. I thought I would be restricting them to 158 or whatever but it turned out the tail wagged as they do in this game but not to some insane level.

Anyway please feel free to ask more questions, I think with some correct tinkering we can get competitive matches but the only thing left to see is if with lowered AI settings will we only be getting matches in the 160-220 range just like higher setting only gives us 300+. Cheers and check out the scorecard below!

Attachments

• 20211213165219_1.jpg
    20211213165219_1.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 17
  • 20211213165220_1.jpg
    20211213165220_1.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 17

Arctic_Wolf

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
Hi guys

Please can I ask for some insight re: spin bowling bounce?

I’ve played a few muck about matches and full deliveries have bounced over the stumps. Admittedly I think that the pitches have been either Hard or Grassy not Soft so I’ll try Soft. In Player Creator, my spinners have either two/three of the horizontal bars for bounce shaded, so 2/5 or 3/5 if you know what I mean.

Do you think that these bars need to be 0 or 1 shaded? Will it compromise caught behinds? Will bowleds occur on soft pitches? Am I mistaken to think that the batsmen should be bowled?

I’ve never really played with sliders. I didn’t want to be engineering/fixing the result but this makes me consider it. Am I understanding correctly, is there a slider for Bounce? But presumably that could negatively effect pace deliveries too which I think are fine.

If anybody’s got any thoughts then please let me know.

Many thanks

Your career player's "bounce" skill/rating only affects balls you bowl using the bounce modifier in game (X on Xbox), so whatever the equivalent is for your platform. It doesn't apply to every ball you bowl. Maxing it out & using it sparingly can pick up extra wickets but sometimes it can work against you too like everything else.

The slider that adjusts a spinners bounce also only modifies the bounce they get when using the bounce modifier, not every ball.

Happy to be corrected but I've never seen it do much else & I've bowled A LOT of leg spin lol ;).

On harder pitches yes, you will frequently see fuller deliveries bouncing clean over the stumps, even more so if you bowl deliveries with extra bounce, flight, or the effort ball. (Obviously, these are the same issues a real life spinner faces on harder pitches too & has to experiment in other ways to entrap batsmen into a poor shot knowing that most deliveries won't hit the stumps but it should bring close catching more into the game instead of straight bowled which is something BA keep struggling to implement without it having other knock on effects.). Avoid top spin on harder pitches too & use the slider straight ball instead, use top spin on softer pitches where the extra bounce can sometimes help too.

The reason it's a bit of an issue in C 19 & C 22 is the AI insists on utterly over using that damned back foot cut shot or the back foot hook to spin, even to back of full, full or extra full deliveries on hard pitches which is completely inappropriate & unrealistic given the other shots the AI could still employ instead to the same fuller deliveries.

It's a shame, as in C 19 that lofted back foot cut to spin was often one of my favourite shots to play to very tall spinners on medium pitches or average height spinners on a hard wicket, it's fun & needs to be ideally timed for effect or to avoid slapping the ball straight into the keepers gloves or straight to a slip if aiming it well behind square. But in the earlier C19 patches the AI didn't play that shot anywhere near as much & it would often choose a more realistic or orthodox shot. Worse still, with BA's apparent ease of literally ripping & copy/pasting their own code from older games into new ones instead of implementing new code when switching to an entirely new engine, it can also directly transfer the same old problems over too.

If BA could simply apply a percentage restriction on the chances of the AI using a certain shot before it goes through a random number generator etc., we may see the AI use that lofted back foot cut far less & then the extra bounce from the harder pitches wouldn't be hated or dreaded as much. BUT, as long as run rates or results continue to be prescribed too rather than truly allowing random number generators to handle everything, the AI will simply employ other shots instead that then became equally bloody annoying from perfect deliveries ;).

Other workarounds, use soft/medium pitches for any dry or dusty wickets, or medium for the other pitch types, or grassy hard isn't too bad but less turn to dusty etc.. Set your career player height to 5' 7" but prepare to take extra run outs from your drastically lowered running speed ;). (Or, adjust your height at the start of each game which I've always found a ridiculous thing for BA to leave as adjustable for obvious reasons ;).)

I just play the hard pitches with all sliders at default in the longer format, accept that my economy may take a small increase in some natches but otherwise persist with good areas & let the AI make the mistake of chopping on or nicking. Shorter format, it's scripted anyway to a degree, so get creative with widely variable lines & lengths to stop the AI getting easy bonuses. Sometimes it also pays to bowl a good/good delivery or deliberately bowl a weak delivery rather than perfect/perfect, but adjust your line to counter & watch the batsman play the completely wrong line or shot too :).

Haych14

Club Captain
Is it me or have all the creators just been focusing on india playfaces??? Like that's all I see on the academy. What about the other teams has anyone done other players for international teams?

Little Timmy

Little Timmy
Profile Flag
England
Your career player's "bounce" skill/rating only affects balls you bowl using the bounce modifier in game (X on Xbox), so whatever the equivalent is for your platform. It doesn't apply to every ball you bowl. Maxing it out & using it sparingly can pick up extra wickets but sometimes it can work against you too like everything else.

The slider that adjusts a spinners bounce also only modifies the bounce they get when using the bounce modifier, not every ball.

Happy to be corrected but I've never seen it do much else & I've bowled A LOT of leg spin lol ;).

On harder pitches yes, you will frequently see fuller deliveries bouncing clean over the stumps, even more so if you bowl deliveries with extra bounce, flight, or the effort ball. (Obviously, these are the same issues a real life spinner faces on harder pitches too & has to experiment in other ways to entrap batsmen into a poor shot knowing that most deliveries won't hit the stumps but it should bring close catching more into the game instead of straight bowled which is something BA keep struggling to implement without it having other knock on effects.). Avoid top spin on harder pitches too & use the slider straight ball instead, use top spin on softer pitches where the extra bounce can sometimes help too.

The reason it's a bit of an issue in C 19 & C 22 is the AI insists on utterly over using that damned back foot cut shot or the back foot hook to spin, even to back of full, full or extra full deliveries on hard pitches which is completely inappropriate & unrealistic given the other shots the AI could still employ instead to the same fuller deliveries.

It's a shame, as in C 19 that lofted back foot cut to spin was often one of my favourite shots to play to very tall spinners on medium pitches or average height spinners on a hard wicket, it's fun & needs to be ideally timed for effect or to avoid slapping the ball straight into the keepers gloves or straight to a slip if aiming it well behind square. But in the earlier C19 patches the AI didn't play that shot anywhere near as much & it would often choose a more realistic or orthodox shot. Worse still, with BA's apparent ease of literally ripping & copy/pasting their own code from older games into new ones instead of implementing new code when switching to an entirely new engine, it can also directly transfer the same old problems over too.

If BA could simply apply a percentage restriction on the chances of the AI using a certain shot before it goes through a random number generator etc., we may see the AI use that lofted back foot cut far less & then the extra bounce from the harder pitches wouldn't be hated or dreaded as much. BUT, as long as run rates or results continue to be prescribed too rather than truly allowing random number generators to handle everything, the AI will simply employ other shots instead that then became equally bloody annoying from perfect deliveries ;).

Other workarounds, use soft/medium pitches for any dry or dusty wickets, or medium for the other pitch types, or grassy hard isn't too bad but less turn to dusty etc.. Set your career player height to 5' 7" but prepare to take extra run outs from your drastically lowered running speed ;). (Or, adjust your height at the start of each game which I've always found a ridiculous thing for BA to leave as adjustable for obvious reasons ;).)

I just play the hard pitches with all sliders at default in the longer format, accept that my economy may take a small increase in some natches but otherwise persist with good areas & let the AI make the mistake of chopping on or nicking. Shorter format, it's scripted anyway to a degree, so get creative with widely variable lines & lengths to stop the AI getting easy bonuses. Sometimes it also pays to bowl a good/good delivery or deliberately bowl a weak delivery rather than perfect/perfect, but adjust your line to counter & watch the batsman play the completely wrong line or shot too :).

Many thanks

I’ve just experimented on Five5 soft/cracked pitch and managed to get some LBWs as well as still getting caught behind, though did catch one literally off the toe of the bat an inch off the ground. Ball would’ve hit the stumps on occasions had it been in line too. Enjoying digging into the detail a bit more than in previous games. I’ve never even really used the alternative delivery methods but noticed it’s kind of relevant in Career.

The spin bowling is more for outside of Career. I’ve lowered the bounce in Player Creator of all my spinners… as well as upping coverage to see if that helps in the fielding! Had a nice variety of dismissals

I’ve always enjoyed bowling leg-spin (Certainly in Cricket 19). I tend to bowl very full and very wide, resulting in many chop ons, thin edges and maidens! Will see how that goes here as I know that people have commented that CPU/AI is keen to avoid batting out maidens.

I know about scripting. Always felt in previous games that when I dropped a batsmen I’d have him out soon after.

My Career is actually an MO RHB / RM. I’m enjoying that whilst experimenting elsewhere ahead of playing Tests etc as my own team.

Thanks again for the detailed response, even though I think I’ve clocked that you’ve had your frustrations with the game!

Wavelberry

International Cricketer
Really disliking where the game is atm. Legside shots are so overpowered for both AI and user that line means nothing. The ball will sail to the legside boundary more often than not and bowling doesn't really matter. It sucks. The runouts are still happening and 1/3 are legit the others are stupid. Ball still slides over the boundary with the fielder even when it shouldn't. Overpowered legside is causing most of the issues I am seeing though in terms of batting and bowling

Slug1793

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
@Slug1793 Yeah but what relevance can Match Difficulty have if you then have sliders which can negate whatever effect that choice is meant to have? Like I said I can have Match Diff on hardest but then just have my sliders on easy and AI set to Rookie so what use is it?
I think it might be a case of mess around with the sliders or pick the pre determined ones by picking easy, medium, hard etc, so it’s one or the other maybe? because in 19 at the match setup instead of picking hard for example I would pick my own sliders ‘test’. I think 22 is meant to be the same but at the match setup it’s not giving you the option.

D

Deleted member 193590

AI 134/3 at start of final day (day 3 of 3). Lead of 207. 102 overs in the day.

Be very interesting to see how they play from here and when/if they declare.
If it's anything like the first ashes test I played terrible,at the end of the fourth day the aussies were 380 up with 4 wickets down,as soon as they got a 400 lead they should have declared,but no they carried on batting past dinner,and finally declared with a lead of 501 and 8 wickets down.
Shouldn't complain though,it only left me 50 overs to survive :lol

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
330 ahead, 7 down, 72 overs left. Still batting.

Lost 4 wickets quickly to spin.
I think depending on if you're playing to win or not to lose, 330 and 70 overs is still ODI territory, less than 5 an over.

I'd go a bit longer I reckon. I'd be in T20 mode tho!
Declared 9 down, 386 ahead, 60 overs left.
Oh, there you go. That's on the safe side, for sure, but I don't hate it.

Good luck!

Crassus

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
The ball has disappeared on my game for several overs at a time...

Also I was in the nets on career mode and there was no sound when the ball hit the bat.

There have been several overthrows but from the opposite boundary.

Users who are viewing this thread