Cricket 22 General Discussion thread (Use bug report thread for issues/bugs/crashes | Patch notes in first post)

Irtileaf

Club Captain
Good day guys,
Played more of test matches. Everything pretty much settled now.
But 2 glaring issues. AI is getting run out a lot in stupid ways.
Also the bat pad thingie is still very much there.
What I did is that when there was a run out I would exit game and load again. As for the batpad catches I have been dropping them myself.
Otherwise a pretty good experience.
Also my hard pitch is acting like a medium pitch and vice versa

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Had a few days to try the gameplay after getting it at Christmas. Haven’t ventured into career mode yet as I’m waiting for the English county teams to be created by someone more talented than I!

My initial feeling is that I’m pretty happy with things so far, there’s a few things that need to be patched but overall I’m liking what I’m seeing. Sorry if the following is rambling!

Positives

The AI Test Batsmen

In terms of test matches, I’ve been really impressed so far at how the opposition batsmen go about scoring runs when I’m in the field. Playing an ashes series and it’s been very interesting to see how they go about taking on my spinner.

Unlike the last game where a good spell would see them just play the exact same shot before eventually nicking one to bat pad, they actually try to put the pressure back on. Dropping it into the off side for singles constantly and making me change my field to try and dry it up, it actually felt like I had to try and actively think of ways to stop them. In a similar vein, when the pitch is flat and they’re seriously on top, they look to take my spinner on, whack him down the ground and make me set a defensive field so they can then milk the singles.

I’ve also found that edges actually carry in this . Hallelujah!

White Ball Bowling

Ive also been playing the 100 and there has been big improvements with how the AI go after me.

In the last iteration I felt like all I had to do was set 4 men on the boundary between deep square and long on, bowl straight and they’d score at 3 an over by only playing orthodox shots and I’d barely pick up wickets, yet still hold them to a low score. Whereas now they actively target the gaps in the field like they do in real life despite it not being the optimal shot. This had led to a more realistic scenario where they score quicker but also give you chances. There’s been a few times where I’ve left out fine leg/third man and they’ve torn me apart by being clever. Often the bat will step outside leg and flick through fine leg, which also leads to the odd edge/playing on wicket.

Batting Engine

Have only batted a couple of times so far but once again there’s been improvement I feel. I can no longer unrealistically drag a ball from outside off to the leg side as a left-hander. Length balls outside off can’t just be driven through the offside or clipped through midwicket without risking your wicket which is good. Also I feel like playing spinners off the back foot is fixed, in the last game it was so incredibly risky despite almost being like a free hit in real life.

In limited Over cricket I feel like a you are rewarded for playing the proper shot. Eg last game trying to hit straight length balls over cow corner was a lot riskier than it is in real life due to the awkward mechanics. It feels a lot more fluid and realistic

Negatives

Hitting The Stumps

From my limited experience of bowling in Australia for the ashes, I’m still finding length a problem. Length balls from both spinners and seamers go way over the top which is understandable given that happens in real life.

However I’m finding that even if I go full (Y on Xbox) the balls still miss the stumps by an inch or so height wise. This leads to a lack of bowled/LBWs. I’ve been given a few by the umpire but as soon as they review it’s obviously not out as I already know I can’t physically Bowl a ball that hits the stumps unless I go for Yorkers

I will investigate further on pitches that aren’t hard but it was admittedly disappointing.

WicketKeepers

Still finding issues with keepers left over from the last game. Teleporting, diving where they have no right to get to. Not moving at all in some instances. Won’t go on about this as it’s been well documented over the last 3 games!

That Awkward Pull Shot

I’ve you’ve seen GJWeavr play on YouTube you’ll know what I mean. Players seem to go through periods of playing this weird pull shot from a full length that is very unrealistic. IRL they might get away with it once before being LBW, but they can do it freely currently
Use LB/RB to modify length of the delivery.

In your case, go for RB+Y for a ball slightly fuller than what you get from Y alone. Pressing RB+Y multiple times will make it ever so slightly fuller each time you do it.

And release of the ball also matters for length, release it sooner for it to be fuller, and later to bowl shorter. Very realistic.

Oh how i love this game and yet can't ignore it's shortcomings.

TommoN

Club Captain
Use LB/RB to modify length of the delivery.

In your case, go for RB+Y for a ball slightly fuller than what you get from Y alone. Pressing RB+Y multiple times will make it ever so slightly fuller each time you do it.

And release of the ball also matters for length, release it sooner for it to be fuller, and later to bowl shorter. Very realistic.

Oh how i love this game and yet can't ignore it's shortcomings.
Does this still work like the last game? Haven’t seen the controls on the screen like the last game

Irtileaf

Club Captain
Another thing.
When bowling bouncers the AI is sometimes leaves the ball which directly hits the batsman.
I hope they put in something that if a batsman gets hit they show it and maybe the confidence decreases.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Another thing.
When bowling bouncers the AI is sometimes leaves the ball which directly hits the batsman.
I hope they put in something that if a batsman gets hit they show it and maybe the confidence decreases.
I've seen this happen.

Hitting a batter who's confidence recently went up a colour can make it come back down again.

I've had it happen to me and I've done it to the AI.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
The bat pad thing I’m not getting.. some games Iv had a few others I haven’t..

Some of them are very genuine as well. We will get them removed then be asking why there’s no bat pads in the game.
Exactly this. It's a part of cricket.

I get there needs to be some balance, but you can't just remove that stuff completely.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner

Some of them are very genuine as well. We will get them removed then be asking why there’s no bat pads in the game.
I do wonder if the bat pads off the foot are for the same batting style. A particularly shot that is played by one style causes it to happen rather than all the time.

Irtileaf

Club Captain

Totally agree mate. But right now they are too excessive. And they always come with the leg glance shot.
And some times with paddle or sweep shot.
I haven't gotten a genuine bat pad till now. Dismissal I mean.
Ofcourse don't need to be removed. Just balanced a bit. 6 out of 10 glances get a bat pad.
Post automatically merged:

I do wonder if the bat pads off the foot are for the same batting style. A particularly shot that is played by one style causes it to happen rather than all the time.
This could be possible.

Gamefroggy

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
@WealeyH I used the Pitch Slider Spreadsheet first time today to continue my 3rd Ashes Test 2nd innings as Australia. It made a huge difference and I actually enjoyed the game. I did lose by 114 runs but it was due to me trying out standard controls for the first time since DBC14. I switched to standard control because it seems that the off side batting problem has to do with analog stick input. Thanks for sharing the settings.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Totally agree mate. But right now they are too excessive. And they always come with the leg glance shot.
And some times with paddle or sweep shot.
I haven't gotten a genuine bat pad till now. Dismissal I mean.
Ofcourse don't need to be removed. Just balanced a bit. 6 out of 10 glances get a bat pad.

This could be possible.
Issue is.. Australia are 327-4 in my game and leech has gone 24 overs wicket less with 3 men round the bat…

So for me to agree it’s excessive is hard!

@WealeyH I used the Pitch Slider Spreadsheet first time today to continue my 3rd Ashes Test 2nd innings as Australia. It made a huge difference and I actually enjoyed the game. I did lose by 114 runs but it was due to me trying out standard controls for the first time since DBC14. I switched to standard control because it seems that the off side batting problem has to do with analog stick input. Thanks for sharing the settings.

No worries mate! I just test and tinker.. @Rumple43 stuck it all nicely into the spreadsheet!

Gamefroggy

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Issue is.. Australia are 327-4 in my game and leech has gone 24 overs wicket less with 3 men round the bat…

So for me to agree it’s excessive is hard!

No worries mate! I just test and tinker.. @Rumple43 stuck it all nicely into the spreadsheet!
Thank you Rumple43

Users who are viewing this thread