Cricketing Queries

iridescentt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Probably an awful tactic in practice but in theory it seemed pretty flawless :p

Context: A pair of batsman with the figure of Sachin Tendulkar takes their stance a couple of steps away from where the bowlers [with the figures of Chris Tremlett] from both ends lets off their foot from the popping crease.

Given that the tall figures will bowl a wide (whether it be for a normal wide delivery or an overhead wide), the batsman cannot be judged out, no? Therefore a potentially unlimited flurry of sundries.

Is this even possible?

Last edited:

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
No. If I were the bowler I'd chuck it straight at their head. 2-3 of those and they'd be back where they belong.

Sureshot

Executive member
Two flaws in that plan.

The Spirit of Cricket, it's the captains responsibility to ensure the game is played not only within the laws but within the spirit of the game. It's unfair play, no umpire would let play happen in such an instance as you are trying to gain an unfair advantage. You'd stumble before you started.

(I actually think there's some other laws which would make it impossible to do that, but it's all fairly pointless looking at it because of the Spirit of Cricket.)

Secondly, the flaw in your tactic is that because the batsmen is putting himself in such a position, he is making it impossible for him to play a normal cricket shot. Thus it isn't actually a wide. A similar example for one that you actually see is when a batsman stands well outside leg and then moans when he can't hit a ball that only passes a foot outside off stump. The batsmen would have no argument, as he has put himself in to the position that he cannot play a shot at it. It wouldn't be a wide, but as stated above, it would never get to that point.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
That's very similar to a batsman charging a bowler and then a bowler bouncing him. Is that still a wide/noball? We seem to have this argument everytime I play park cricket. Some say it can't be a noball for height as soon as the batsman leaves his crease.

Another way to do that Sachin v Tremlett strategy: get a midget/little person/child to bat and just stand in front of the stumps. He might be able to be given out LBW, but reprieved because the ball was over shoulder height!

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
That's very similar to a batsman charging a bowler and then a bowler bouncing him. Is that still a wide/noball? We seem to have this argument everytime I play park cricket. Some say it can't be a noball for height as soon as the batsman leaves his crease.
I've heard that too, and it makes sense. If you charge down half way the pitch you can turn a low fulltoss into a head high one and claim no-ball. It shouldn't be considered I think.

Wides after leaving the crease are allowed. If you go down the crease and the bouncer passes over your head in your normal stance, it should be a wide.

Sureshot

Executive member
Depends how much he charges. It can still be a no-ball for height, otherwise bowlers would just pitch it well before half-way as soon as he saw the batsman take a step forward. But if you're charging half-way, then clearly you're trying to gain an unfair advantage and the Spirit of Cricket comes in to play.

The key thing with both no-balls relative to height and wides are the words "in an upright position at the crease" and "normal position in the crease" (see earlier post) but that is in conjunction with the Spirit of Cricket. So being half-way down the wicket would mean no-balls for height would be ruled out, as you've put yourself in the position where you cannot play a normal cricket stroke.

But to say it immediately can't be a no-ball as soon as he leaves the crease is wrong, however, if he leaves his crease and is trying to take advantage of that, then it can't be. That is very subjective, and would be a nightmare in park cricket!

This is why the Spirit of Cricket is so fundamental to the game, because it basically means you cannot beat the rules by trying to take advantage of certain rules.

Cricket can be quite confusing, but the rules are quite clear, but they are also in-depth. If you can, grab a Tom Smith book.

Tom Smith's Cricket Umpiring And Scoring: Amazon.co.uk: Tom Smith: Books

All the rules, tonnes of examples.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
In the simplest terms, the more a batsman moves, the greater the acceptable area for a bowler to bowl in.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Does a maiden count for a bowler if he has bowled only 2 (dot) deliveries in an over by which the batting side's all out?

Example: Team A 150-9

This bowler's figures for the next over reads: . W

Will this be counted as a maiden, considering the team's bowled out for 150 and that the bowler's bowled only 2 deliveries?

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Does a maiden count for a bowler if he has bowled only 2 (dot) deliveries in an over by which the batting side's all out?

Example: Team A 150-9

This bowler's figures for the next over reads: . W

Will this be counted as a maiden, considering the team's bowled out for 150 and that the bowler's bowled only 2 deliveries?

No, a maiden over has to be a completed over.

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
Is Switch hit legal now? I mean to say, like a bowler has to tell what side is going to bowl from, has ICC made any rule that a batsman has to tell whether he will bad right handed or left handed? Or he can play switch hit at any point of time without any indication just like reverse sweep?

Sureshot

Executive member
It has always been legal, and so it should be. It has created some new shots and the bowlers have a great chance at taking a wicket off them.

teamindia

Club Cricketer
They should legalize switch bowling to level the playiing field. I remember some bowler tried to do it recently and the umpires called a dead ball.

Sureshot

Executive member
Oh yeah, that's not flawed in anyway, what with the umpire not having to look for no-balls or the non-striking batsman standing there...

angryangy

ICC Chairman
It doesn't make any sense except as a party trick. How can you reliably bowl to your field if you do something like that? Bowlers and batsmen are not analogous.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
I would think any spin bowler would be more than happy for English batsmen to be attempting paddle reverse sweeps/switch hits etc... I can guarantee you if someone tries it at club level, they don't last much longer.

Essentially, who is the leading run scorer in ODI and Test Cricket. How often does he change his stance? Who is the second highest run scorer... in fact, check out the top 10 current ODI averages, the top 10 run scorers etc... Not too many players who consistently play the switch hit.

I would even say that ever since KP swept Murali for 6, he's barely been the same player. If I were a bowler, I'd basically want every batsmen trying it at international level. Works wonders against crap bowlers who can't bowl to a plan though ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread