Cricketing Queries

PaddleSweeper

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Is Switch hit legal now? I mean to say, like a bowler has to tell what side is going to bowl from, has ICC made any rule that a batsman has to tell whether he will bad right handed or left handed? Or he can play switch hit at any point of time without any indication just like reverse sweep?

Switch Hit has been made illegal so far by the ICC but there was a case recently when Tillakaratne Dilshan refused to bowl to Kevin Pietersen when he tried a Switch-Hit and after a couple of occasions, the umpires gave Pietersen an official warning for time-wasting! Another such warning would have resulted in five penalty runs for the opponents!

So, while it is legal, there is some grey area about how the umpires need to interpret the rules regarding Switch-Hit.

And yep, I agree, if batting Switch-Hit is allowed then change of arms in bowling without informing the umpires should be made legal.

Sureshot

Executive member
I've already pointed out the flaws in that, not least because I'd love to see a bowler try and bowl left handed.

The switch hit has not been made illegal, KP got warned for time wasting because he changed grip/stance before Dilshan entered his delivery stride. It's an existing rule that was around before the switch hit came along with the introduction of T20, there's no issues about how the umpires interpret it, the rules are clear, they just aren't exercised that often because it's quite rare.

Though you seem to be tripping up over yourself with the legal/illegal words in your post.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Sureshot is right by the way in case anyone is confused. Heed his words.

PaddleSweeper

School Cricketer
I've already pointed out the flaws in that, not least because I'd love to see a bowler try and bowl left handed.

The switch hit has not been made illegal, KP got warned for time wasting because he changed grip/stance before Dilshan entered his delivery stride. It's an existing rule that was around before the switch hit came along with the introduction of T20, there's no issues about how the umpires interpret it, the rules are clear, they just aren't exercised that often because it's quite rare.

Though you seem to be tripping up over yourself with the legal/illegal words in your post.

Yep, the time-wasting rule wasn't connected to Switch Hit alright, but it is a, so to say, workaround, that the bowlers have now found. See a batsman attempt a Switch Hit, stop in the delivery stride. Of course, that can be countered by the batsman waiting till the ball is bowled before attempting it, there by making it more difficult for himself. Makes for interesting cricket.

About the batsman v bowler thing, nothing is impossible frankly - when in the 1987 World Cup final, Mike Gatting was caught off a reverse sweep to Allan Border, it was almost a taboo shot. Today reverse sweep is common and we are discussing Switch Hit. Similarly, five years down the line, you may have bowlers bowling with both hands, who knows.

Interestingly, during the ongoing IPL, Anil Kumble, who is long retired from the game and is currently the bowling mentor for Bangalore, was seen bowling with his left hand in the nets. It wasn't too bad I thought. So with proper practice, not quite impossible.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
You won't have bowlers bowling with different hands. I'm pretty sure it's a no-ball if you don't declare whether you're bowling right-arm over, or right-arm around etc...

Sureshot

Executive member
Indeed, and there's good reason for that, the umpire has to know which hand you're bowling with, knowing where he's looking for the no-ball amongst others. Besides, you can't just bowl a surprise ball with the opposite hand, the batsman will be aware that you're bowling left handed very early on due to run up changes and changes in the delivery.

The best way for a bowler to deal with the reverse sweep is to fire it in at the toes, I'd be very happy if a batsman was playing the reverse sweep against me as I'd fancy getting him out every single time he does it.

It won't ever happen.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
If a batsman is allowed to take 5 steps to leg or come charging down the pitch, then switch hits and reverse sweeps aren't really too far from that.

As a bowler, I too would be mighty happy to see anyone try it. One of the best (and very rarely used) ways to counter it, is actually to stick a slip and a man catching in and keep bowling in the areas that forced them to try a reverse sweep in the first place.

----------

... but captains these days all negatively react to just about everything.

Sureshot

Executive member
Yup, I think Dilshan's reaction was more trying to put KP off his game, as they knew he was in destruction mode, rather than "He's being unfair!!1111!!"

tommyg6

School Cricketer
Hey everyone, what does everyone here think of Canadian cricket? I'm a Canadian and I want to know.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Rizwan Cheema is good and most of the team is filed with Asians! That's all I know about Canadian cricket. :p

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
I was wondering if the runs scored or wickets affected in the superover of a T20 match are included in the overall stats of a player?

RPHKR

National Board President
If a batsman charges down, the bowlers bowls a beamer but it hits the stumps, is it out or no ball?

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I was wondering if the runs scored or wickets affected in the superover of a T20 match are included in the overall stats of a player?

Nope.

If a batsman charges down, the bowlers bowls a beamer but it hits the stumps, is it out or no ball?

Only if the ball would have passed over his waist in his normal stance (or over his shoulder off a spinner)

Themer

Chairman of Selectors

Its not a Beamer if it hits his stumps as the ball obviously isnt high enough to be a Beamer.

Users who are viewing this thread