Cricket's Chocolatey Past

King Cricket

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yeah. Just read this in The Telegraph. Quite funny as well as interesting. Let's see how our English members react to this.

KBC

Panel of Selectors
One hell of laughter to come when people respond to this article. Exactly. Funny, yet interesting.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
If you believe everything you read about the origins of cricket you will think cavemen were playing it. I am sure there were forms of the game being played all over the world, but it was the English that invented the laws so we invented the game as it has been for hundreds of years.

Highlander999

ICC President
Let's see how our English members react to this.

I'm tying the noose as I speak......:p

Meh, they say golf was played in China thousands of years ago or something like that, yet the R&A (Royal and Ancient) was up in Scotland, so golf was made in Scotland not China. Same applies here

King Cricket

International Coach
I'm tying the noose as I speak......:p

Meh, they say golf was played in China thousands of years ago or something like that, yet the R&A (Royal and Ancient) was up in Scotland, so golf was made in Scotland not China. Same applies here

If you believe everything you read about the origins of cricket you will think cavemen were playing it. I am sure there were forms of the game being played all over the world, but it was the English that invented the laws so we invented the game as it has been for hundreds of years.

Very true. This thread is just meant for fun, light-hearted discussion. Be funny. That's it.

Say Tom, who's pic is that in your av? Vajji Singh's or Symonds'? :p

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Not sure if this is evidence enough to convince me that weavers from flanders invented cricket.

The line

A! Farewell, kings of crekettes!,

Seems to suggest they were good at it. Does nothing to me to suggest they invented it.
Not that it matters much anyway and not that we will ever really know who first played it. But just because this is the first reference to the game known, it does not mean it was a brand new game. Just means nobody had written anything about it that still remains today. Especially given that it was believed to have been played by shepherds and such, who wouldn't have been able to write. Nobody ever recorded the activities of the poor in those days, it's the activities of the rich you read about. But as Lee says, cricket back then only really shares a similar spelling for its name with the modern game. It was nothing like cricket these days in any way.

Personally I think it was played first by Antarctic birds, you know, Penguins?

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
We're gonna have to take the phrase '...plus, we invented cricket' off the St George.

King Cricket

International Coach
Look at me laughing on thoughts of Belgium inventing cricket. :p:p:p

Nah, cricket is invented in England. A mere poem proves nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread