D-Link Wireless Adapter?

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
Right let me cut to the chase. My computer is downstairs in the living room etc....so my problem is I want it upstairs now the only reason I don't take it upstairs is because of internet, I would have to use a Wireless Adapter.

Now I have a D-Link router, so would I have to get a D-Link adapter? And would any D-Link adapter work with my router? Because I had one befor and it sucked...

Hitterman

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
It should of of the volt that your modem requires. And the pin size should fir in the place of insertion.

Hitterman

International Coach
Suppose your modem requires 9 volt current supply then your adaptor should be of 9 volt.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
any adapter should work fine enough... it does not necessarily need to be dlink.
Just make sure that it supports the wireless mode u are going to use (802.11 a/b/g - g is the most commonly used. )

@ hitterman... I didn't understand your post.. what pin size are u talking about??
either i've misinterpreted punk's post or urs... plz clarify mate :)

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
I think you should call DLink helpline. Just dont burn that damm thing by using wrong adapter.

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
When you guys say adapter do you mean the power adapter or the actual wireless internet adapter?

I'm on about an adapter that gets me wireless internet lol.....? I'm confused now.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
lol.. thats why i was confused about hitty's post...

Just see my post above.. i think i've answered you..

An "adapter" ( or basically just a wireless signal receiver) can be of various types.
1. Attaches to the USB
2. Fits in the PCMCIA Slot

You just need to choose whichever one suits you. I am using a USB adapter (Netgear) No problems so far...

for the PCMCIA card, you need to make sure about the compatibility.

There is no problem in using adapters of different companies, but you need to make sure it is 802.11g, which are backward compatible with 802.11b/a

Hope this Helps..

Last edited:

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Lol Hitterman was talking about the power adapter :D:D:D:D :rofl:

Anyways, I think any adapter would do fine, because the standard communication interface is the same. But as someone above said, best call D-Link themselves. Just don't tell them that you are to buy one. Tell them that you already have one of another company - Otherwise they'll tell you to use theirs only lol :rofl:

Edit - I think Abhas has answered you. Though PCMCA cards are mostly in laptops though.

Also, I think if you get any 802.11n adapter too, it should be backwards compatible, though I am not exactly sure about it.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
802.11n is still not being used as extensively as 802.11g... but, if available, it is a future proof option to go for..

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Any 802.11g Adapter will do, they are cheap as chips, you should be paying somewhere between £10 and £20.

Hitterman

International Coach
Lol Hitterman was talking about the power adapter :D:D:D:D :rofl:

Anyways, I think any adapter would do fine, because the standard communication interface is the same. But as someone above said, best call D-Link themselves. Just don't tell them that you are to buy one. Tell them that you already have one of another company - Otherwise they'll tell you to use theirs only lol :rofl:

Edit - I think Abhas has answered you. Though PCMCA cards are mostly in laptops though.

Also, I think if you get any 802.11n adapter too, it should be backwards compatible, though I am not exactly sure about it.

You said right Kshitiz :p

Users who are viewing this thread