DBC 14 batting, my favourite stuff

tazzron

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I'm willing to throw in apologies for droning on and on and referencing "real cricket" all the time, and for anyone who read my cricket life story post.

Well, I read it with great interest.

To give you a short story of my cricket life, I injured my hip at 14 playing rugby, kept bowling with the injury for a whole season which permanently damaged my bowling action. Until this point I'd be a promising all-rounder, having just broken into the Welsh under 14 side. Being able to only bat while a poor fielder and now terrible bowler ruled out any chance of 'making it'. Now I only play the odd premier league game for my club.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
This is not the first time that this has happened where a member has failed to recognise humour.
Dave was having a dig at himself to say that was his best sporting achievement but he was been funny at the same time, I fail to see why you took offence to this?

I didn't take offence at Dave, I took offence at the tone of your first post.

With Dave, I didn't know whether he was taking the piss solely because I'm always talking about whether or not stuff reminds me of real cricket, or whether there was an additional inference that I was attempting to portray my real cricket stuff in a flattering light via cryptic references like a fatuous asshole, or that I was trying to bait people into asking me to reel off stories of cricket exploits and famous people I played with like a cricket club bar bore, or whether Dave was saying he was actually curious about it but taking the piss out of my vagueness.

Ok I made the dumbest choice out of that lot, but also the one that was easiest to reply to in a manner that was friendly and relevant to the subject of the thread.

NEXT : my latest psych report!

I knew the runout was your fault I read the dam thing.
You did say you thought that the ball had gone for four runs so that’s why I said it was poor batting, poor judgement and poor running.

Ok! Great! We agree! DBC correctly punished me for poor running with a convincing run out! Hooray for DBC!

The game engine
Well it’s safe to say you premeditate all your shots when batting on DBC then, sure that takes your “itch” away.

No. That doesn't follow or actually make sense in the context of my other posts in the thread, which explicitly discuss how being able to avoid premeditating is an important factor in the sense of satisfaction and enjoyment.

Pro cricketers are upset when you run them out.
It could be that you have a reputation for this no wonder they would be pissed at you and maybe you have judged all test cricketers to be this way from experience because of your own errors.

Right, so you want to argue that many test cricketers will not react badly to being run out by an awful call from a junior player? Even assuming this is correct, it doesn't really address anything in the thread because I've already said that it varies from player to player and that any ambient reaction should be rare and not interrupt the game anyway.

D

Deleted member 149013

I haven’t seen any evidence in any videos you have uploaded that is suggesting you haven’t premeditated first. A prime example is batting against spin.

You play with the spin of the ball but you don’t you just club everything leg side.

So why suggest to avoid something you are doing in plain sight.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
So in the spin clip, I describe how I'm starting off definitely looking for the sweep shot, that the fun bit is picking the right delivery to loft. Spotting the right delivery and reacting with the loft button is not premeditating.

Same thing with the first pull shot. It's spotting the length and responding with the loft bumper that makes it fun. If I feel like I'm purely premeditating it stops being fun.

You have to make an early call on shot choice in DBC and you can't adjust it later, so premeditation is always going to be some sort of issue, and so I suggest it's a question of trying to find ways not to premeditate, or to premeditate as little as possible. Sometimes the feeling of having really chosen your shot on merit may in fact be illusory, but if the illusion is convincing enough then the game will still be fun to play, and that's the important bit.

I didn't post the videos as an example of my idea of ideal DBC batting method. I'm just posting the bits I particularly enjoy and trying to describe why I enjoy them with lengthy cricket based seriousposts. Sure, it's an awful plan and really nobody should read any of it, but shit happens on the internet sometimes.

D

Deleted member 149013

You should have the field in your mind where people are in the first spin video you looked round at deep backward square leg then you swept it to him which was a risk shot.

Watch the delivery from the bowler’s hand.

Where does it pitch is it higher than hip height do I need to go on my back foot.

The line am I looking to play on or offside.

What type of delivery is it. Will the ball spin in at me or away from me, will it go straight on. Then play according to the way that the ball is spinning not against it. That is not premeditating but saying I want to sweep this ball no matter if fielders are placed there no matter what delivery it is and what line it’s pitched on and then going for it is!

Fair enough if you want to upload vids and you are not hosting a masterclass you were serious about it and now it’s just for fun please make up your mind.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Again, you're just not making very much sense. You keep trying to argue with stuff I've never said, and then carrying on arguing about it even when I've explained that that's not what I said.

I mean, good luck with that but I'm not going to keep on trying to explain the same stuff over and over again using different words in the hope of finally hitting the magic combination that will impart the correct meaning into your brain. The distinction between fully premeditating a shot, having a couple of options in mind or trying to add modifiers on merit seems absolutely impenetrable for you and I don't think I can explain it any better than I already have.

You should have the field in your mind where people are in the first spin video you looked round at deep backward square leg then you swept it to him which was a risk shot.

A grounded sweep to backward square is a safe shot in both DBC and real cricket. A lofted sweep to deep backward square is a risk, but that's why the sweeps that go to backward square are grounded, and the only lofted sweep goes over midwicket.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Is there any possibility you could go and doubt it somewhere else? An English class, preferably.

D

Deleted member 149013

Any chance you could get some coaching lessons and learn how to bat first?

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Sure, at this stage I'm up for whatever it takes to not have to read any more Dakota posts.

D

Deleted member 149013

Ok well fast forward a few years to your music career. I am gathering and guessing guitarist by the “fingers” reference.

How many stage dives resulted in you landing face down on the floor…

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Ok well fast forward a few years to your music career. I am gathering and guessing guitarist by the “fingers” reference.

Right yes, because guitar is unique amongst musical instruments in that you need fully working fingers to play it, and is thus the obvious choice.

Pretty impressive logic, Dakota. Maybe I've underestimated you.

D

Deleted member 149013

Well let’s call a truce.

We have both said some things.

A handshake and call it a day.

I would understand if you didn’t want to and I would be fine with that. I never hold grudges life is way too short.

Had a run in Cooks recently but I would buy the guy a beer.

Users who are viewing this thread