Tips for Pro cam batting

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
I've been having a go at Pro mode batting and I like the way it immerses you fully into the game, and if you have pro cam when running, you can immediately see whether the ball you just hit has passed the fielder. Trouble is, how do you tell where your off stump is when in this mode? I find it very tricky - I guess it doesn't help that I've never played proper cricket either...

Perhaps the option to have a graphic giving you an idea where the stumps are would be good? After all in all other cam modes, you can see exactly where they are. As I said I haven't played before but I'd guess that 'knowing where your off stump is' would be something drilled into you a long time before you step out as a pro?

D

Deleted member 9102

It is tough, and knowing where the stumps are is an issue even for me having played using it for quite a while. Some sort of indicator to show where you're taking guard would be useful, as sometimes I take an accidental step to either side and you can only tell where your batsman is standing by changing camera.

I think that the issue with knowing where your stumps are is a good challenge though, and it is a vital skill in batting in real life so I don't mind this extra layer of difficulty that comes with Pro cam. It will come through practice, as well as learning the hard way by playing the wrong shots and losing wickets.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I think watching the non striker helps with the taking guard issue - he seems to stand on the leg side - unless his positioning is entirely random. You're right though - it can be a bit awkward knowing where you're taking guard but the camera is full of potential. Not least the fact that keeping in pro cam while running eliminates an annoying issue with cricket games - you think you've just hit the perfect leg glance, only for the damn thing to go straight to a fielder. At least now with this camera you can see whether the ball has passed the fielder or not. :)

inertSpark

Associate Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
It is tough, and knowing where the stumps are is an issue even for me having played using it for quite a while. Some sort of indicator to show where you're taking guard would be useful, as sometimes I take an accidental step to either side and you can only tell where your batsman is standing by changing camera.

I think that the issue with knowing where your stumps are is a good challenge though, and it is a vital skill in batting in real life so I don't mind this extra layer of difficulty that comes with Pro cam. It will come through practice, as well as learning the hard way by playing the wrong shots and losing wickets.

The natural progression for Pro mode would be the ability to take your guard from the umpire, just as you would do in real life. Being able to take a quick glance down at your feet to see them in relation to the stumps would help too. One for future iterations perhaps.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
I asked for a way of taking guard as soon as the nets came out, and I still feel that it's a bit of an omission for pro cam.

I taped some thread to my screen for a while to get a feel for where my off stick is, and that kind of works, but there's no way around having to switch cameras if you need to check your guard unless you take leg stump.

azumikami

School Cricketer
I found when I had a look with instant replay that the default guard for my left handed player was leg stump. Moving across once went to 2 and again then took middle stump. I'm struggling with the camera angle, as I open my stance up more in real life. Another nag I have is how the ball spawns a foot away from the bowlers hand at delivery stride, making it difficult for me to judge length as I can't watch the ball from the hand.

richowebbo

County Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
I asked for a way of taking guard as soon as the nets came out, and I still feel that it's a bit of an omission for pro cam.

I taped some thread to my screen for a while to get a feel for where my off stick is, and that kind of works, but there's no way around having to switch cameras if you need to check your guard unless you take leg stump.

This is one of the reasons I don't use the pro mode camera. So difficult to be aware of where you are when you can't look to see! Also, you can't really see your feet position, and with no feedback available for batting, its really hard to work out where you are going wrong.

I am playing on Veteran mode at the moment. Not because I'm any good, just because I got sick of the randomness of pro mode in career (especially with medium pacers) and I have a feeling that pro mode is important when you go up the levels, because you need to be able to see the seam position etc.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I've decided the best mix is close batsman cam for batting and pro cam for running - that way as you strike the ball you can see whether it's cleared the fielder or not. Pro Cam has a lot of potential but it needs some sort of HUD to simulate being able to look down at your feet or look back at the stumps. As it stands, I find it's just a bit too random.

richowebbo

County Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
I've decided the best mix is close batsman cam for batting and pro cam for running - that way as you strike the ball you can see whether it's cleared the fielder or not. Pro Cam has a lot of potential but it needs some sort of HUD to simulate being able to look down at your feet or look back at the stumps. As it stands, I find it's just a bit too random.

Totally agree that its random.

I can't seem to get on with the close cam. I like the height of the batter far cam, but that's probably just because I'm used to the broadcast cam that was in every other cricket game!

I may just keep trying close cam so I can pick up the seam. Cross seamers always get me out!

ada1972

Club Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Pro Cam for both batting and running really improves your ability to hit the gaps. I find I hit shots with more confidence, as I am able to find the angles and steer the ball.
However, BA, please please can you change the batsman's epilepsy while running and while at the bowlers end. It is making me sick and also kills the immersion!

I find taking off the ball circle hud really improves your ability to read the line and length. I found looking at the red, green, yellow circle was distracting. Forcing me to think only about length primarily and not allowing me to read line, length and speed all at the same time. Although I leave on motion line, as this enables me to see the ball better, both when being bowled and when running.

I try to play/sit in the same position, that way I can begin to read the ball as soon as it leaves the bowlers hand. I also get close to the screen, and concentrate on the ball leaving the hand. That way you can begin to see any line and length clues as early as possible. Also, by going into the nets and just concentrating on the ball, it's flight and where it lands, while not playing any shots, allows you to really see and understand the path of the ball from the moment it leaves the bowlers hand.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Pro Cam for both batting and running really improves your ability to hit the gaps. I find I hit shots with more confidence, as I am able to find the angles and steer the ball.
However, BA, please please can you change the batsman's epilepsy while running and while at the bowlers end. It is making me sick and also kills the immersion!

I find taking off the ball circle hud really improves your ability to read the line and length. I found looking at the red, green, yellow circle was distracting. Forcing me to think only about length primarily and not allowing me to read line, length and speed all at the same time. Although I leave on motion line, as this enables me to see the ball better, both when being bowled and when running.

I try to play/sit in the same position, that way I can begin to read the ball as soon as it leaves the bowlers hand. I also get close to the screen, and concentrate on the ball leaving the hand. That way you can begin to see any line and length clues as early as possible. Also, by going into the nets and just concentrating on the ball, it's flight and where it lands, while not playing any shots, allows you to really see and understand the path of the ball from the moment it leaves the bowlers hand.

I was wondering if I was the only person playing who doesn't like those stupid on screen aids such as the circle around the ball!

Speaking of the ball, I'd just like to say kudos to Big Ant for providing the most beautiful looking cricket ball I've seen outside of real life - it looks so real; you could almost pluck it out of the screen and bowl a few overs with it. The way it ages is fantastic as well.

Thanks for the tip about just watching the ball's bounce!

Scrogs

Banned
What camera angles are you using chaps? I use batting close....the camera is directly behind the stumps and taking guard is just a matter if putting batsmans toes where you want them to be by moving batsman as bowler runs up.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
What camera angles are you using chaps? I use batting close....the camera is directly behind the stumps and taking guard is just a matter if putting batsmans toes where you want them to be by moving batsman as bowler runs up.

Pro mode camera.....not pro mode difficulty?

Umm yeah... the title was a bit misleading; have changed it now. :)

Users who are viewing this thread