Dec 16-20: 3rd Test - Australia v England at Perth

JonDogg

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Don't forget that the English team is basically the same team that flogged Australia in Adelaide. So there's nothing wrong with the English team.

Hopefully Ponting plays because there isn't really anyone who could replace him, and he's due for a big score. I say get rid of Siddle, but it is his home test so he might fire. And a spinner is needed in Melbourne. Steve Smith played in Perth without bowling a ball. So he can stay in the team as a batsman but then is there any point of putting another spinner in? Hauritz just got another unbeaten century with the bat for NSW.

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
Well it said on the news that Australia have gone in unchanged :facepalm

Ponting can't score runs without a fractured finger, I'm pretty sure he still won't be able to score runs with a fractured finger.

And Michael Beer should be dropped, 141, 110*, 5/39, 2/62, 2/65 and 1/23 (currently today) over the last month is better than a duck and 0/27 as well as averaging 45 in 7 FC games. Hauritz should be in the side. The Australian selectors are stupid. Who sacks the selectors? Cause they really have to do something now.

Anyway, back off to support the South Africans. I'll start supporting the Aussies again once they aren't idiots.

midgetwars

Club Captain
Well it said on the news that Australia have gone in unchanged :facepalm

Ponting can't score runs without a fractured finger, I'm pretty sure he still won't be able to score runs with a fractured finger.

And Michael Beer should be dropped, 141, 110*, 5/39, 2/62, 2/65 and 1/23 (currently today) over the last month is better than a duck and 0/27 as well as averaging 45 in 7 FC games. Hauritz should be in the side. The Australian selectors are stupid. Who sacks the selectors? Cause they really have to do something now.

Anyway, back off to support the South Africans. I'll start supporting the Aussies again once they aren't idiots.

How can you say that the selectors are idiots?? How many times have we "fans" or "supporters" been wrong?? Hussey, Johnson. But we must bring in a spinner no matter what. Australia brought in clark in england last time and didn't change to bring in hauritz.

Owzat

International Coach
The state of Test cricket at the moment means that people should really forget about the rankings. So many little things will tip the balance of a given contest.

I also tend to think a team's rank doesn't represent their current performance very well anyway. Their ratings are based on the full 4 year cycle. A team can drop and recover in performance much quicker than that.

The rankings are massively flawed. Since England beat Sri Lanka 2-0 in 2002, they have won just THREE series against South Africa (1), Australia (2), Sri Lanka (0) and India (0)

As for Collingwood, he has scored just 184 runs in his last 12 innings. Since he scored a fifty in both innings of the 1st Test against the aussies at Sofia Gardens his record is 785 runs @ 30.19. Fair enough he scored 344 of those against South Africa, but 148 of those runs were against Bangladesh and since that Ashes rearguard action he is averaging 15.82 against them in 11 innings.

I don't know why so many are surprised, last time we toured down under we were skittled for less than 200 FIVE TIMES. Sending out a nightwatchman was just embarrassing, did anyone seriously believe we could bat two days with five wickets?!?!?

Last edited:

mrtwisties

Club Cricketer
Still perplexed as to how Johnson did it because his seam position was all over the place, no one else was getting any swing and its not as though the ground was overcast, outstanding. Still wouldn't be surprised if he gets whacked all around the ground come the second innings.

I was at the WACA on day two, and my nan could've swung the ball. In fact, she probably was, running around in her backyard in northern Perth. They're unusual conditions here, but when you get a humid day with wisps of cirrocumulus you pretty much release the ball and it starts doing circles in the air. Also helps that there was an easterly blowing all day (can't believe the number of commentators rabbiting on about a Freo Doctor that didn't start blowing until the last 30-40 mins of play, absolutely shocking punditry).

In other words, I'm not convinced Johnson will ever swing it again in his career. But if he can just keep his radar operating, that'll be enough for Australia.

I'm a big, big fan of the four/five man pace attack, especially if we can settle down with part-timers like Smith and Clarke in the top seven. Would particularly like to see us using the extra fast bowling slot to give exciting young players like Hazlewood, Starc and Copeland a good run in the next year or so. They all have lovely, repeatable actions and the talent to develop into complete bowlers if they have the hunger and we give them enough opportunity.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
For Melbourne I would consider Bresnan for Finn. It gives us another batting option and Finn has started being quite expensive.
I wouldn't play a 5-man attack - our problem at Perth was batting weakness not taking 20 wickets.
Collingwood just about gets the nod for me; I'm yet to be convinced by Morgan as a test player and I don't think the MCG on boxing day is the kind of place he will perform.

There's also talk about a drop-in fast and bouncy wicket for the 4th test. Even with that it won't be the same as the WACA. Can't see Johnson being quite so effective away from his home ground.

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Great win for Aussies (attributed to Harris, Johnson and Hussey). Relieved that Australia can still give much of a competition to the Englishmen and this is not going to be a boring one.

midgetwars

Club Captain
England have done fairly well for me today. Johnson's spell was near unplayable and they're making a decent fist of bowling today on what looks a pretty flat pitch now bar Finn. And Hussey was pretty amazing first innings.

Still perplexed as to how Johnson did it because his seam position was all over the place, no one else was getting any swing and its not as though the ground was overcast, outstanding. Still wouldn't be surprised if he gets whacked all around the ground come the second innings.

Actually, Johnson, Hilfenhaus, Harris were all getting swing. It was Johnson's late swing that helped.

midgetwars added 1 Minutes and 31 Seconds later...

In other words, I'm not convinced Johnson will ever swing it again in his career. But if he can just keep his radar operating, that'll be enough for Australia.

I'm a big, big fan of the four/five man pace attack, especially if we can settle down with part-timers like Smith and Clarke in the top seven. Would particularly like to see us using the extra fast bowling slot to give exciting young players like Hazlewood, Starc and Copeland a good run in the next year or so. They all have lovely, repeatable actions and the talent to develop into complete bowlers if they have the hunger and we give them enough opportunity.

I'm sure Johnson will find swing again. But you're right, The line/length of johnson was the best he bowled. NO WIDES!! That's what australia need, no wayward bowling from the best bowler in the world when he's on song.

Sureshot

Executive member
For Melbourne I would consider Bresnan for Finn. It gives us another batting option and Finn has started being quite expensive.
I wouldn't play a 5-man attack - our problem at Perth was batting weakness not taking 20 wickets.
Collingwood just about gets the nod for me; I'm yet to be convinced by Morgan as a test player and I don't think the MCG on boxing day is the kind of place he will perform.

There's also talk about a drop-in fast and bouncy wicket for the 4th test. Even with that it won't be the same as the WACA. Can't see Johnson being quite so effective away from his home ground.

I don't think Finn should be dropped, he's taken 14 wickets in the series, I don't care if he's going at 4.3 rpo in the series, as he's taking wickets. Bresnan will be average with the ball, will be just as expensive as Finn and may add 30 runs. Big whoop if he's taking 3 less wickets in the match.

I wouldn't make any changes, I think the best way for the management to get aroudn this defeat is to treat it as an anomally. Bell should bat 5, that's the only change I'd make.

formula1man

International Cricketer
Ok we won, but we got lucky, our bowlers performed for once and the english got cocky and a bit of lovin from their wives ;) so i think sticking with our team would be foolish as the batting department is still quite poor. Our Bowlers are good, they just need a bit of confidence which I think they got.

1. M. Hussey
2. S. Marsh
3. S. Watson
4. M. Clarke
5. U. Khawaja
6. C. Fergusson
7. B. Haddin
8. M. Johnson
9. N. Hauritz
10. R. Harris
11. D. Bollinger

R. Ponting - injured or dropped.
P. Hughes - HAS to work on his technique, it is too easily exploited
S. Smith - unproven
P. Siddle - Hack
B. Hilfenhaus - just think Bollinger is better.

I invest in shares and the selectors are currently in a losers mentality. When you persist with a stock that is in a downtrend hoping that one day it will turn around will result in you losing out a lot more than what you gain, sure Hussey is doing good now, but how much did he waste during the slump. You should only invest in a stock making all time highs in an up trend. Ponting is the stock going dowm and my selections are in up trends.

Last edited:

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Nice to see Harris showing he can do it against the big boys, some were saying he would struggle as he only performed against NZ but you could see he had the goods for Test cricket. I reckon Bollinger should have come in for Siddle the selectors don't like changing a winning side.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Terrible batting performance. Our batsmen just rolled over and died today on what was still a pretty good batting pitch.

Hopefully, the pitch at the MCG will suit us at lot more with Swann coming into play.

Users who are viewing this thread