Nathan Hauritz role in the Australian test side. Should he really be playing?

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
That was crappy S Australia batting line-up & what i saw of him in ENG this year in that T20. He looks like another Hauritz failure waiting to happen in tests.

As it stands AFAIS. If any spinner should be playing for AUS its Krejza. But otherwise 4 man pace attack is the way forward, as it really should have been post IND 2008.

Hes got 33 wickets in 9 matches including 2 4fers and a 5fer, stikre rate 49 and average 25 so its nothing to do with the crappy SA batting. Krejza in the same competition has only got 3 4fers in three times as many games and hes averaging 48. Yep lets choose the guy averaging 48 over a guy averaging 25.

Robelinda

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Thats just what I was thinking, sure he did good vs SA but his overall record is way better than any other spinner in our country. If they want a young in form spinner then he is it.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Hes got 33 wickets in 9 matches including 2 4fers and a 5fer, stikre rate 49 and average 25 so its nothing to do with the crappy SA batting. Krejza in the same competition has only got 3 4fers in three times as many games and hes averaging 48. Yep lets choose the guy averaging 48 over a guy averaging 25.

I'm not basing my argument on stats here. Just simply on watching him bowl. O'Keefe does not look like a spinner capable of doing the main role of test spinner - which is to take wickets/be effective or turners/wearing 5th day wicket. As i said, he looks like another Haurtiz failure in that respect.

Lets not forget Krejza wasn't picked on great FC form either. He was picked on the selectors basically watching him bowl & having a gut feeling that he could be useful wicket-taking threat againts international batsmen on turners & for once the selectors where right.

War added 13 Minutes and 54 Seconds later...

Krejza? No way. He was like Beau Casson, couldn't handle being dropped and his confidence went way down until his state had to drop him. Those guys aren't Test cricketers, you need to have the mental strength to cope with the disappointments and those 2 don't have it right now. Call me when they fight their way back into their state teams and show a bit of determination. If anything, give old Bryce McGain another go I say. At least he's shown up to play for the Vics after he got flogged in SA.

Now of course I realise Krejza got some harsh treatment, but he didn't fit the kind of spinner Ricky wanted which was someone to hold up an end. I've read interviews with Krejza saying that he's tried to take that on board and he was pretty happy with the changes he made, but the selectors (Tasmanian and Australian) obviously weren't impressed enough.

Well yes. Of course he can't be picked right now unless he is playing some FC cricket for Tasmania again. Since its obvious he has lost a bit of the confidence in his bowling. But i reckon both state & test captains have roughed him up & misused him since that Perth 08 test had a bit to do with that.

He is an attacking spinner, he is not going provide much accuracy. Both Ponting & G Bailey seemed to have wanted the latter from him & when they didn't get it, thus banished him. You have to know how you using him in a 5-man attack (especially when the other 4 quicks of a strong quality like AUS with Bollinger/Hilfy/Johnson/Watson).

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I'm not basing my argument on stats here. Just simply on watching him bowl. O'Keefe does not look like a spinner capable of doing the main role of test spinner - which is to take wickets/be effective or turners/wearing 5th day wicket. As i said, he looks like another Haurtiz failure in that respect.

Lets not forget Krejza wasn't picked on great FC form either. He was picked on the selectors basically watching him bowl & having a gut feeling that he could be useful wicket-taking threat againts international batsmen on turners & for once the selectors where right.

Unlike Hauritz he already has a 5 fer in Shield cricket so they are already different in that aspect. You might think he doesn't look threatening but a spinner in Australia doesn't fluke out 33 wickets with a strike rate under 50 by not being threatening.

Also Hauritz was not picked based on FC form either, heck he was picked when he was playing NSW 2nd 11. Clearly picking players not in FC form doesn't work as Krejza isn't even in the Tasmania starting side and Hauritz is juyst Hauritz.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Unlike Hauritz he already has a 5 fer in Shield cricket so they are already different in that aspect. You might think he doesn't look threatening but a spinner in Australia doesn't fluke out 33 wickets with a strike rate under 50 by not being threatening.

Also Hauritz was not picked based on FC form either, heck he was picked when he was playing NSW 2nd 11. Clearly picking players not in FC form doesn't work as Krejza isn't even in the Tasmania starting side and Hauritz is juyst Hauritz.

Many FC players world wide have had great FC records before selected, but then gone on to struggle in tests. So O'Keefe's early FC form shuld be taken with a pinch of salt, since watching him i dont see any hope.

But of course he he ends up having a top seaosn with the ball. He certainly could come into consideration, since thats preferably what we want a spinnet to do before he is called up. So we shall see what happens...

TumTum

International Cricketer
It certainly will be interesting to see how we perform with a SLA. Clarke has done a really good job for Australia and he basically bowls pies. So if Ponting really wants a defensive spinner to hold an end, O'Keefe is definitely worth a try.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
So O'Keefe's early FC form shuld be taken with a pinch of salt, since watching him i dont see any hope.

No offence but you're estimations of people based on watching them have been shite the whole duration you've been on the forum. A bad word from you is akin to a good one.

War

Chairman of Selectors
No offence but you're estimations of people based on watching them have been shite the whole duration you've been on the forum. A bad word from you is akin to a good one.

Ha, I take offence. Before i go into detail, have you ever seen O'Keefe bowl?. If not then all you are doing in trolling me on this specific point, based on past arguments we have had, in which quite clearly you have gotten over. Which is very chidish & all you have done know is sidecrack this good thread.

Secondly please list to me in detail all the players i have cast judgement on in county cricket, who have turned out to be so great ATM (presuming any of them have played for ENG to date), that have proved my estimations of watching to be shite????. This is got the bloody see...:facepalm

Sophie Hart

School Cricketer
Not a bad option indeed. I have seen some bits and pieces of his unique gaming style and hope for the best. He keeps on changing his professional skills as well.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Ha, I take offence. Before i go into detail, have you ever seen O'Keefe bowl?. If not then all you are doing in trolling me on this specific point, based on past arguments we have had, in which quite clearly you have gotten over. Which is very chidish & all you have done know is sidecrack this good thread.

Secondly please list to me in detail all the players i have cast judgement on in county cricket, who have turned out to be so great ATM (presuming any of them have played for ENG to date), that have proved my estimations of watching to be shite????. This is got the bloody see...

I apologise for being so narky there. But I do still find some of your estimations a bit polarising such as Harris being stuck in terms of development (which you said before the start of this season and he went on to get 63 at 20) and Hildreth not being international quality.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I apologise for being so narky there. But I do still find some of your estimations a bit polarising such as Harris being stuck in terms of development (which you said before the start of this season and he went on to get 63 at 20) and Hildreth not being international quality.

Harris certainly did seem to be stuck. Look at his stats in the last in the last couple of season. He averaged 35 & 32 after his impressive 2007 opening season & didn't take a 5 wicket haul in poor division 2 since 2007, before this season. If that isn't a sign of stuck in development then i dont know what is.:facepalm

I still would also like to see him either leave glamorgan or bowl in dvision 1. Since playing in Div 2 forever, really is not where i want to see English young players too often.

I also never said Hidreth isn't international quality. My position on Hildreth is although he had his breakout season this year, given the standard of bowling in county cricket isn't that great, like all ENG players who has done well in county cricket. I want to see him againts international bowling before i make a firm judgement on him. Since recent history with the likes of Hick & Ramprakash (Bopara just recently) struggles in tests would tell us, not because you dominat in CC - is that a clear guide to how you may go in international cricket if picked.

Very simple stuff.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
^Don't worry. South Africa is playing Pakistan. Harris will definitely get at least one five wicket haul if not two. He is a better bowler than Hauritz and North.

Users who are viewing this thread