The PlanetCricket View: The end of Hauritz?

Wow. I didn't think even you could argue this :eek:. There are STACKS of spinners who have 'held up an end'. You're implying that holding up the end is the only thing they are trying to do. NO! If I'm Marcus North and come on 5 overs before the new ball - then YES, I'm holding up an end. But to say that no one in history has held up an end is just rubbish. Yet, I can't think of any spinner who wasn't trying to get the batsman out - that's insane. How is that possible? Well you can do BOTH - nagging at a batsman with tight bowling might be your way of getting him out, just ask Dan Vettori.

Anyway, look at it a different way. Let me ask you this: name a spinner in history who COULDN'T hold up an end? I can think of Stuart MacGill and that's about it. Every other decent spinner in history has had the ability to keep scoring down, bowl reasonably accurately and churn out a few maidens. But that doesn't mean they never attacked with the ball! It doesn't mean they weren't trying to get batsmen out! It just means that they had the ability to bowl accurately and patiently as part of their overall strategy. That's what spinners do historically. The really great spinners of course could keep it quiet WHILE they on the attack and hunting for wickets eg. Warne & Murali. But there aren't too many of those.

Great example would be Richie Benaud. Look at his record: RPO of just over 2 and strike rate of almost 80. Record says that he 'held up an end' a lot. But that's not really true. Richie is lauded as a guy who was accurate, always at the batsman and bowled long spells. People always talk about Richie's attacking spirit, yes, but it was more in evidence in his captaincy and batting than with the ball. Lance Gibbs was another guy who was most famous for his accuracy and stamina rather than any doosra, wicked drift or other mystery balls. But accuracy and stamina aren't the attributes I'm guessing you are looking for in a spinner mate. Yet many in history were like that. Going back to Benaud, listen to him talk about Warne's influence on the game and you realise that most of the time Benaud wasn't pushing the boundaries and attacking at all costs. He often mentions how he wished he'd tried to spin the ball more since he's seen what Warne could do. It just wasn't thought of when Richie played, that kind of boldness. If Benaud bowled today, you'd be referring to him as a guy who 'just holds up an end'.

And your hypothesis that spinners need to be able to spin the opposition out in the last day or 2 is an admirable one, but not very sustainable. You can't pick and choose spinners purely based on events that don't happen very often. It would be like saying you're only going to pick batsmen who can hit double centuries - 'because that's what batsmen are supposed to do'. You'd end up culling some excellent, consistent players who never score really big eg Michael Clarke, Mark Waugh for guys that score big but randomly eg Andrew Symonds, Marcus North types.

Firstly my friend. When i said:

quote said:
I know of no example of any spinner in test history since the post-war days of uncovered wickets. Where any spinner who just did "hold up and end role" lasted long in test cricket.

I meant i know of no spinner in test history since the post war era who main attribute was just to hold up and end & was never sustained wicket-taking threat for his captain/team when he got tuners or wearing 5th day tracks. Certainly no such spinner who had that glaring deficiency like Haurtiz had ever lasted long in test cricket.

Arthur Mailey, Aubrey Faulkner, Tich Freeman, Paul Adams are some wrist-spinners like MacGill who where just attacking spinner who captains could really depend on to tie up and end & bowl alot of maidens. They bowled magic balls & captains depended on others bowlers in his attack (whether a line & lenght paceman or another defensive spinner) to do the "holding role".

With MacGill as you may remember. When he played Warne generally took up the role to be the more defensive, while McGrath also with his metronomical self was also did that role. So MacGill defieciences where always generally always covered.

Bowlers like Gibbs, Benaud & Vettori where complete spinners. Yes they all where very good at holding up and end. But when they got the right conditions i.e turners/5th day wearing wickets they certainly spun the ball big & bowled up the best of opposition batting line-ups.

My hypotetis that spinners of any degree of quality should be able to bowl out teams on the last day or two is very sustainable. Every test match pitch 90+% of time all over the world deteriorates enough to become a spinners zone (that is very often & teams can certainly pick teams planning for that known event). Where most captains then rely on them to be the main wicket-taking force. If a spinner can't be that wicket-taking force then - he is not test quality.

What Sifter said.

I distinctly remember Hauritz having two men in the deep on the offside and not many saving 1 to Pujara, and none (or 1) deep on the legside. Which meant that if he bowled outside the offstump, he'd be milked away for singles, but if he strayed too straight, be picked off for a boundary. That plan and that field setting, to a young player on debut on a turning wicket, made no sense.
The basic offspinner plan is to tempt the batsmen to hit against the spin through the offside, with fielders close to catch the miscue, and men in the deep on the leg incase he slips up with his line. Starve them of runs by denying them singles on the offside, they go for the big shot against the spin, a wicket-taking opportunity is created. Captaining spin bowlers 101. Ponting didn't do that.

I also think this was about the time when Shane Warne tweeted about how Ponting's fields were rubbish.

Hardly flawless if you ask me. And Ponting has generally been poor with field settings - he didn't need to be brilliant with McGrath, Gillespie and Lee at their best, and Warne set his own fields. This could actually be a big reason why spinner after spinner is being discarded by Australia, because Ponting doesn't know how to use them.

Totally incorrect.

Firstly that fielding plan that Hauritz had to Pujura was on the last day of the final test after a series in which Hauritz had bowled so much crap, regardless of what field Ponting set for him. The Indian batsmen played him totally easily. So come that last day Ponting lost total confidence in him & rightfully gave him a untral defensive field, since throughout the series when he had fairly attacking fields he was still smoked.

So its ridiculous to critique what Ponting did @ that point in time. Hauritz simply wasn't bowling well enough to deserve a good field.

Shane Warne's rant at the time was just as incorrect as your rant is here currently.

Seconldy dont overexaggerate ridiculously. Warne never set his own fields. In the Ashes 05 when things went haywire for Ponting the whole image of Ponting being surrounded by Warne & other senior players when tactics & field setting where being discussed may have given off that impression, that has unfortunately always stuck with cricket viewers. But Ponting always set the fields for Warne & all the bowlers - he just simply given Warne great tactical nous himself may have consulted with Warne on one or two field positions - but never did went outright set his own fields.

Finally the reason why spinners have constantly being rotated for AUS. Is simply because none are good & the selectors & Ponting dont realise that. AUS best overall attack option is to pick an all-pace attack, since the strenght in depth in AUS domestic cricket is in the pace bowling ranks.

I've only seen Hauritz in ODIs, and then the Tests in India. In the Tests he was tossing the ball up more than he would in the ODIs I've seen him in. If that's his regular way of bowling in Tests, then alright, but I figured he'd be a lot lot flatter and tighter than normal. I was actually a bit surprised (impressed?) by how attacking he was trying to be.

Yes that how he regularly bowled in test. He attempts to mix up his lenght well flight & flat deliveries with no turn. Everything he bowled in IND was just treated with utter disdain, that he didn't know what lenghts to bowl anymore.

There are also reports Haurtiz was told to bowl more like Harbhajan. Whether that meant toss the ball up more, or bowl flatter, I dunnow. I'm guessing the latter, since Harbhajan doesn't really toss the ball up so much anymore.

More like the old Harbhajan style of tossing it up. But of course that not Hauritz strenght. Hauritz just bowled to his strenghts in IND like what he was bowling in his entire test career & he was smoked. Simple.

And yes, everything was treated with disdain, because the Indian batsmen are just that good against average offspin.

You mean trash off-spin like Hauritz. Proper average off-spin/finger spin in IND have done well in the past.

I saw Krejza, a lot of rubbish mixed in with a few beauties. Might have gone better against Laxman/Ishant, true, but overall you'd see India scoring a lot faster and possibly higher than if he was played over Haurtiz. Economy rate of 4.53 and a strike rate of 57.3 isn't hugely impressive. With those figures you'll bowl India out for 400+ runs anyways, except this time it'll take only about 100 overs to do it.

Krejza didn't even have a proper bowling support in 2008 & took 8 wickets regardless of how much expensive he was. Hauritz had a strong pace attack to back him up & he was trashed.

I'm 100% confident given how well the AUS 3 man pace attack bowled throughout that 1st test in which AUS would have basically won if Bollinger didn't get injured. Ponting would have been able to use Krejza in shorter sharp spells instead of long spells. Since the AUS quicks did a good enough job of keeping the IND batsmen quiet - thus they would have played Krejza that freely (except for Sehwah, but the AUS quicks sent him back early most of the time).

I don't understand how you figure that a spinner who bowls mostly garbage with a few good deliveries in is a better option than Hauritz. Krejza did only play 2 tests (and just the one in India), but his FC record and the match against RSA shows that if the batsmen survive the good deliveries, he's just cannon fodder.

And your whole argument about Krejza is based on the 1 test match he played. Just 1. Where he wasn't even that impressive.

Because he showed in the 2 test that he has the raw abilities that usually spinners need to have to become test quality. Abilites that Hauritz has never shown in any of this 15+ tests.

Whether Krejza fullfills that ability is another question yes. But the AUS selectors didn't pick him nor did they pick Hauriz based on FC form. Krejza was picked on raw ability based on just watching him bowl & seeing those raw skills that & they where proven right. Off all the spinners tried since Warne/MacGill/Hogg left Krejza is the most talented by a fair distance.

As i said before Krejza bowled well in IND given he was basically he had no support. He ended up being AUS main & arguably ONLY wicket-taking option in that test (with Watson with his reverse swing in the second innings helping out).

In the test vs SA @ Perth he can be forgiven given the pitch didn't turn @ all on that last day. While i argued at the time that Krejza should not have even played in that test, since given he is so attacking & the AUS pace attack was so raw still (Johnson & Siddle were still unproven as test bowlers) - it was very risky to play him in a 4-man attack after Watson fell injured before that series & my fears where proven. Krejza should always play in a 5-man bowling attack. So his failures in the Perth test where down to AUS selectors & Ponting lack of understanding in not now how best to use Krejza.

He might have the potential, but I wouldn't rate him above Hauritz.

He cetainly is better than Hauritz. For reasons i said above.

Statsguru to the rescue.

In all tests in India, seamers from WI, RSA, Aus, Eng and NZ have averaged 31 with an economy of 2.73 and a strike rate of 67.9

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

The corresponding stats for spinners from these countries in India is an average of 37.78 with an economy 2.61 and a strike rate of 86.5

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Wow, your point might actually have some weight to it. India may be more of a spinners graveyard than a fast bowler's graveyard.

Amm *scratches head*. Firslty this is poor use of statsguru, because its fairly common cricket knowledge that INDIA have not been a force @ home since 1933.

India started being a force @ home in the 70s firslty with that legendary spin quartet & they have progressively improved since then as they developed since then as team @ home wich peaked in the 90s-mid 2000s. As the assembled a top spin attack Kumble/Harbhajan & super middle-order of Dravid/Tendy/Laxman/Ganguly/Azhar.

So quite clearly since IND became a force @ home int he. As i showed before only quality pace with Windies 83/84, SA 99/00 & AUS 2004 have managed to win series outright in IND. While SA 08 & 10 & ENG 05/06 with their pace attacks came close to winning by drawing those series in which their pace attacks owned IND batting line-up in those respective series.

Yes, Hauritz is limited, and like I said, he won't bowl sides out.

But you fail to mention a better option. Apart from Krejza. Who really is just as rubbish.

Any other Australian spinner would have gone just the same, if not worse.

With Krejza you have the opposite problem in that he'd be hammered in conditions where there is no spin, like the first innings of the match. Haurtiz is a far better option in such conditions.

I just told you in which you agreed by saying "fair enough" that the better option in IND recently for AUS would have been 4 quicks if Harris or Siddle where availbale.

Plus Krejza would have done a better job in IND playing in stronger attack to support him & the confidence of the captain. In in our imagination could Krejza be rubbish.

Either of thse two options if they where aviable would have given been better than picking Hauritz in IND. If i had to chose i may have picked the quicks however (given that Watson was crooked with the ball during that series & didn't give AUS a stable 4th quick option that could have covered some of Krejza's deficienes).

If Krejza plays in a 5 man attack. Id say he may hardly bowl much in the 1st innings of a match if a captain is smart. Bollinger/Hilfenahaus/Johnson/Watson would do most of the work. The captain (Ponting) will just have be smart & know how to use him.

My stats above prove otherwise. The only names from that list that stand are Matthews and Boje.
Udal got wickets from a lot of bad batting, and you're basing your argument on one single spell he bowled in the country (4/14). Might as well use Clarke as an example for his 6/9 while you're at it.
Krejza was rubbish for a large part, Adams had that awkward action which made him a threat everywhere really (until he was figured out), and Bright didn't have that brilliant a record either (average of 36.4 in India) so I don't know why you brought him up. Kaneria too, he average nearly 40 in India. True he looked dangerous at parts, probably had a bit of bad luck in catching, be he never was a consistent threat. And Giles just bowled outside the legstump rubbish. This is the first time I've heard Giles being described as a 'consistent threat'. He was nothing of the sort. Never was. Was always a containing bowler - a type of bowler, according to you, that should have never played test cricket.

Wow. I must say you really way off in your knowledge of test history.

Firslty you stats analysis was unfortunately crap. As i conclusively showed you above.

Secondly listen to what i said again:

quote said:
Since spinners not named Warne/Murali in recent years such as Greg Matthews, Shaun Udal, Jason Krejza, Nicky Boje, Paul Adams, Ashley Giles, Danish Kaneria, Ray Bright for eg. Have gone to India & have been a consistent threat for their captains of wearing/turning wickets in India.[/quote]

All of those spinners at some point in each series they played for their teams/captains on turners or last day pitches either won test by taking 5 wicket-hauls or captains depending on them to do a holding role.

Since you like to use stats guru. You just have to look for an instance where each of them did that.

it is ridicoulos to bring Clarke performance on a under-prepared Mumbai 04 wicket (which played like an old fashion sticky wicket) as comparison to those spinner did proper test standard turning pitches. You can't compare that 04 Mumabi wicket to 06 Mumbai wicket when Udal spun out on a test standard turner. Why should it matter if Udal played only 1 test?. He proved & showed in that one test in IND, what has bowlers have needed to do historically to be a threat on turners, something Haurtiz was horribly short of in the 3 test he played in IND.

I have already dealth with your incorrect notion on Krejza so i wont mention him again.

Adams spun out India in IND on a turner. Plus he always dangerous as you said on most turning tracks all over th world until he got figured out. I dont see what relevance bringing up his action has.

Kaneria just like krejza generally played & bowled in IND with no proper fast bowling support with Akhar & co hardly ever playing. He was the main wicket-taking & defensive bowler & he efforts especially in that 2005 series in IND was very solid. You cant critique that stuff under any logical basis.

On critque on Giles is even worse :lol. So what if he bowled a negative outside leg-stump line in IND 2001?. He got the job done & kept IND batsmen quiet, forcing Tendy to get stumped for 1st time (& i believe only time) in his great career to date.

Giles is proven excellnt bowler on turning pitches throughout the continent. When the ball was turning he transformed from a containting bowler & got the ball to turn big while maintain control (similar to what Vettori did in Indian recently,argubaly slightly better) & was cetainly "a consistent threat". If you ever saw Giles bowl in Pakistan 2000/01 & SRI 00/01 & 03/04 this would be obvious

Bright in that famous tied test in 1986 along with Greg Matthews toghether combined & where Allan Border main wicket-taking threat in India. Plus Bright outside of that test won took 5 wicket hauls on turners/was a threat when he got 5th day turners. Which proves my point.

a) Above stats show that spinners, in general, will suffer in India.
b) Haurtiz was poor, fine, but does Australia really have anyone better at the moment? Are Australia's pace stocks such that 4 seamers + Watson/North would have done better than 3 seamers + Hauritz + Watson/North?

No.

a). ABove stats show that any proper test spinner even if they are not great from foreign countries. Since IND have become a force @ home have always been of use in India.

b) Krejza is better & ABOSOLUTELY my friend.

War added 2 Minutes and 33 Seconds later...

Ashley Giles.

No. ENG always could have depended on Giles to turn into a serious wicket-taking threat on last day turners in ENG & especially in the sub-continent (IN PAK & SRI 2000/01, SRI 04, IND 2001/02) more often than not.

And out goes any credibility of your argument.

:lol. :facepalm

This has to be most foolish response i've seen on the internet to an cricket debate. Unbelievable.

No, Themer is right.

And these statements are equally ridiculous:

So its ridiculous to critique what Ponting did @ that point in time. Hauritz simply wasn't bowling well enough to deserve a good field.
Adams spun out India in IND on a turner. Plus he always dangerous as you said on most turning tracks all over th world until he got figured out. I dont see what relevance bringing up his action has.

I'll rebutt them later.

No, Themer is right.

Yes congradulations for being as dense as themer & showing a complete lack of understanding how how Ashley Giles bowled on turning pitches during his career.

And these statements are equally ridiculous:

I'll rebutt them later.

:lol. Until we have your actual rebuttal, you saying its ridiculous means absolutely nothing.

This is quite foolish. Where did you people learn to debate?. How could cherry pick quote a portion of a long post in which the explanation has been clearly given. Then respond by saying its ridiculous?.

The only ridicuolus thing i have seen with yourself & themer is that new style of misguiding posting. In which the only conclusion i can come to ATM, is you two dont understanding what i said or dont understand how specific players (Giles, Haurtiz, Adams) careers evolved.

First response to this is WTF?

So now you have to bowl well to deserve good field settings?

So if you're bowling rubbish, in the middle of a test match, instead of supporting you and trying to set fields to make your bowling look good or control the flow of runs, your captain is supposed to go 'Screw this' and put all the fielders in the deep and let the batsmen help themselves? Or leave open gaps in the field and let your bowling get picked off for easy runs?

What sort of logic is that? Surely if a bowler is struggling or not talented enough, it's the captain's duty to set fields and bowling plans in such a way that in compensates for the bowler's lack of ability.

Good captains set good fields. Good fields make good bowling look great. Cricket 101. Your point that a bowler earns a good field by bowling well makes absolutely no sense.

Not to mention the flaw in your argument about Ponting losing all confidence in Hauritz. If that was the case, why did Hauritz bowl.

And also another contradiction - Hauritz had aggressive fields all during the Test. That's basically helping my point. He's not an attacking spinner. He shouldn't have had attacking fields to begin with.

And finally, yes, I'm sure you know more about field settings than Shane Warne. Bravo.

Oh, and Shane Warne did set his fields when it mattered to him. Normally he was good enough to bowl with basic fields and plans. But I remember quite a few occasions where he'd shuffle the field if he was working over a particular batsmen. I believe he did it a few times in the 2005 and 2007 Ashes too.

Adams spun out India in IND on a turner. Plus he always dangerous as you said on most turning tracks all over the world until he got figured out. I dont see what relevance bringing up his action has.
You've just contradicted yourself.

He was dangerous until he got figured out.

That is, until his action got figured out.

So surely that means his bowling action was a larger factor in his success than his actual bowling skill. Because if his bowling skill was the biggest reason he was successful, he would have continued to bowl well even after he had been figured out.

It's just like Sohail Tanvir or Ajantha Mendis. Both were successful early in their career. Both were figured out. Once the shock of their uniqueness was gone, they lost success. Which shows their uniqueness was the biggest factor in their success.

Compare these bowlers with bowlers like Warne, McGrath, Kumble, Murali. Actually, Murali is a brilliant example. Once his uniqueness was figured out, he remained successful. Because he was that good.

Paul Adams wasn't. You can't say that he had success on a turner because he was a good spinner, because his bowling action has shown to be a much much much bigger factor to his early success.

And seriously. ANY cricket fan will tell you Giles was not a turner of the ball. He bowled simple, tight, outside legstump lines. Sachin was stumped out of frustration.

If you're going to argue that this is the way a spinner should bowl on turning tracks -which is bullshit to begin with- then you are directly contradicting yourself when you said:

Where any spinner who just did "hold up and end role" lasted long in test cricket.

Because, by your theory, spinners holding up an end should have extremely long careers for their success on spinning tracks.

And I'm not cherry picking. I said Hauritz is average. You keep ignoring me/fail at explaining to me why Krejza is a better option, apart from the fact he took 8 wickets in one match in India. Surely the fact that he went at 4.3 runs per over and averaged over 40, and has been smashed consistently in Australia FC cricket is enough proof that he is nothing more than a bowler who tosses the ball up, bowls a few beauties, but a lot of rubbish in between.

Your argument that Krejza had a poor pace attack to support him, and thus did a better job than Hauritz, fails on two grounds as well:

a) Poor pace attack = him bowling a lot of overs, due to a lack of options.

b) Poor pace attack = him taking a majority of the wickets. He got smashed for tons of runs, but you ignore that by bringing up the fact that he took 8 wickets. It's very plausible he took 8 wickets because none of the other bowlers were capable of taking wickets, and NOT because he some brilliant spinner.

Admittedly a) and b) are intertwined, since more overs = more opportunities at wickets = more wickets.

Hauritz, with a stronger pace attack at his disposal, would have neither of the two above luxuries.

And about my stats.

a). ABove stats show that any proper test spinner even if they are not great from foreign countries. Since IND have become a force @ home have always been of use in India.
I don't understand that, but I assume you're saying that even if if they are not great they have been a threat. A strike rate of 80 is not being a threat. Sorry, you're wrong.

Oh, and I haven't even STARTED on how your whole argument of spinners in India is based on a few isolated spells (namely Matthew/Border/Bright in 1 test match, Krejza in 1 match and Shaun Udal in 1 session) and not the clear, general, historic trend, and how you're a hypocrite considering you just said this:

This is the first time i've seen Doherty spin the ball in domestic or ODI or any form of cricket & yes he has had a decent start so far.

But its early days yet & the test is not over. So i will reserve judgement until this innings & his second innings bowling performance is over, instead of making an knee-jerk judgment based on half of day of a test match.

a few moments ago.

Half a day of a test match is a knee-jerk reaction, but 1 match or 1 spell isn't. Nice.

Firstly before i continue sir. I think both should try to ease the nasty tone that this debate has now entered. Since even if i think you may be speaking utter crap currently, lets try to keep it as civil as possible. Since i'm quite sure you will agree that you dont want to have to resort to personal insult over a debate. Thanks. :)

First response to this is WTF?

So now you have to bowl well to deserve good field settings?

So if you're bowling rubbish, in the middle of a test match, instead of supporting you and trying to set fields to make your bowling look good or control the flow of runs, your captain is supposed to go 'Screw this' and put all the fielders in the deep and let the batsmen help themselves? Or leave open gaps in the field and let your bowling get picked off for easy runs?

What sort of logic is that? Surely if a bowler is struggling or not talented enough, it's the captain's duty to set fields and bowling plans in such a way that in compensates for the bowler's lack of ability.

Good captains set good fields. Good fields make good bowling look great. Cricket 101. Your point that a bowler earns a good field by bowling well makes absolutely no sense.

Not to mention the flaw in your argument about Ponting losing all confidence in Hauritz. If that was the case, why did Hauritz bowl.

And also another contradiction - Hauritz had aggressive fields all during the Test. That's basically helping my point. He's not an attacking spinner. He shouldn't have had attacking fields to begin with.

This is madness.

For the entire series 1st & second test up until that final innings. Ponting certainly did set a attacking fields as possible to try to aid Hauritz in taking wickets.

But every field Ponting set the Indian batsmen kept manipulating the field as Hauritz was totally incapable of keeping them quiet. Have you forgotten on the final day of 1st test, Haurtiz was so useless @ then end that Ponting ending up going to North to bowl?. So by the time the that final innings with India basically always going to win, Ponting had clearly lost faith in Haurtiz based on his struggles in the 3 previous innings in the series.

Thus he gave Haurtiz that ultra defensive field with the hope that at least he could stop the boundaries, since it quite obvious by that point of the series that setting in out field or any sort of attacking fields that Hauritz was still leaking singles & much runs. But yet Pujara & Vijay etc still kept finding the boundaries - it was hopeless situation for Ponting.

And finally, yes, I'm sure you know more about field settings than Shane Warne. Bravo.

I didn't say i know more about field setting than Warne - of course i dont. But i disagree with his assesment of the situation just like how Ponting did for reasons i said above, so i'm clearly on Ponting's side.

Oh, and Shane Warne did set his fields when it mattered to him. Normally he was good enough to bowl with basic fields and plans. But I remember quite a few occasions where he'd shuffle the field if he was working over a particular batsmen. I believe he did it a few times in the 2005 and 2007 Ashes too.

Explain what you mean by "set his own fields".

Do you mean that when Warne came on to bowl. That Ponting just turned his back & Warne was setting his fields when he was bowling almost as if he was captain?.

Or do you mean that Warne would suggest to Ponting what he wanted & you would see both of them in consultation over that. Then Warne would generally get the field he wanted?.

You've just contradicted yourself.

He was dangerous until he got figured out.

That is, until his action got figured out.

So surely that means his bowling action was a larger factor in his success than his actual bowling skill. Because if his bowling skill was the biggest reason he was successful, he would have continued to bowl well even after he had been figured out.

It's just like Sohail Tanvir or Ajantha Mendis. Both were successful early in their career. Both were figured out. Once the shock of their uniqueness was gone, they lost success. Which shows their uniqueness was the biggest factor in their success.

Compare these bowlers with bowlers like Warne, McGrath, Kumble, Murali. Actually, Murali is a brilliant example. Once his uniqueness was figured out, he remained successful. Because he was that good.

Paul Adams wasn't. You can't say that he had success on a turner because he was a good spinner, because his bowling action has shown to be a much much much bigger factor to his early success.

Adams was a good spinner. I dont disagree that he lost some uniqueness due to his action, as batsmen began to figure him out. But he always remained a threat on turners @ least even up until the last days of his career as shown by this 7 wicket haul in 2003, 7 years after he spun out IND in IND early in his career:

1st Test: Pakistan v South Africa at Lahore, Oct 17-21, 2003 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

What Adams lost was the hope the Saffies had in him that he could become a great spinner in all conditons. Plus with the emergence of Boje in the late 90s who could bat well down the order & bowl equallu well on turners as well, Adams test place became less secure.

And seriously. ANY cricket fan will tell you Giles was not a turner of the ball. He bowled simple, tight, outside legstump lines. Sachin was stumped out of frustration.

Clearly you never saw Giles bowl in the sub-continet during his early days on tours to:

- PAK & SRI 2000/01
- IND 2001/02
- SRI 03/04

If you did you wont be speaking such crap. As i said before on turning pitches Giles transformed from being a defensive tweaker into a bowler who good bowl big spinning deliveries.

This ball to Martyn @ OT trafford in 2005 was what he could regularly do on turners:

YouTube - Ashley Giles' "ball of the century"

In the 2001/02 series in IND. He had specific tactic to Tendy (which Paul Harris replicated in two tours to IND in 2008 & 2010 recently). In which he bowled outside leg-stump getting the ball to spin away from the right-handers & left-handers very big very accurately. The IND batsmen didn't adjust to it.

How could you critique such a plan just because its defensive bowling?. Are you crazy. He found a way to keep IND batsmen quiet & he did a job for ENG. AUS couldn't depend on Hauritz to even adapt such a line since he didn't turn the ball near as much on turners for the IND batsmen to play that line tentatively.

If you're going to argue that this is the way a spinner should bowl on turning tracks -which is bullshit to begin with- then you are directly contradicting yourself when you said:

Because, by your theory, spinners holding up an end should have extremely long careers for their success on spinning tracks.

No i'm not arguing that how spinners should bowl on turners. Since thats now how Giles always bowled on turners, he just adopted such a tactic for that specif series (specific Ahmedabad test). Otherwise on turners Giles bowled normal lines & depended on assistance from the pitch & more than 70% he was consistent threat on pitches world-wide throughout his career.

Thus quite clear. Giles was not a spinner who was defensive bowler on turners. He was wicket-taking threat that got the ball turn & tested the best of batsmen.

Thats not contradicting anything i said. Thats you showing a complete lack of understaning of how Giles's career went.

And I'm not cherry picking. I said Hauritz is average. You keep ignoring me/fail at explaining to me why Krejza is a better option, apart from the fact he took 8 wickets in one match in India. Surely the fact that he went at 4.3 runs per over and averaged over 40, and has been smashed consistently in Australia FC cricket is enough proof that he is nothing more than a bowler who tosses the ball up, bowls a few beauties, but a lot of rubbish in between.

I just explained to you why with a stronger attack pace attack that was seen in the 2010 series, to support him & erudite captaincy knowing how to use Krejza throughout a match. In a 5-man attack Krejza would been a far more wicket-taking option than Hauritz in India recently. Its is not my fault if you can't read & comprehend properly.

Secondly your lack of understanding of Krejza fails again. Krejza was not picked based on FC form. He was picked on raw talent, that the selectors had a gut feeling that he has skills to be a good test bowler & they where right. Since its painstakingly obvioust that he has is the most talented spinner in AUS right now - every AUS fan would tell you that.

He would never be force in FC cricket. Since his local team Tasmania doesn't have a strong pace attack like the one he would/could be effective with @ test level. Thats the reason why even Tasmania preferred to accurate Xavier Doherty over him @ FC level. Since if you depend on Krejza to be a typical holding spinner thats not his role - he would struggle.

Your argument that Krejza had a poor pace attack to support him, and thus did a better job than Hauritz, fails on two grounds as well:

a) Poor pace attack = him bowling a lot of overs, due to a lack of options.

b) Poor pace attack = him taking a majority of the wickets. He got smashed for tons of runs, but you ignore that by bringing up the fact that he took 8 wickets. It's very plausible he took 8 wickets because none of the other bowlers were capable of taking wickets, and NOT because he some brilliant spinner.

Admittedly a) and b) are intertwined, since more overs = more opportunities at wickets = more wickets.

If you interprit it this way it shows a lack of understanding again of Krejza strenghts & weaknesses.

As i've said before he is an attacking spinner. Like a leg-spinner such a MacGill he just bowls for wickets. He doesn't have the ability to bowl 6 balls on the same spot over after over, he will drop in a few loose ones like MacGill used to do all the time for Australia.

So given in that match he has no support - but coincidentally for the majority of the match was Ponting only source of wicket. His lose stuff was well punished by India's batsmen, but he produced enough beauties for one to be impressed by his output.

Hauritz, with a stronger pace attack at his disposal, would have neither of the two above luxuries.

What???

And about my stats.

I don't understand that, but I assume you're saying that even if if they are not great they have been a threat. A strike rate of 80 is not being a threat. Sorry, you're wrong.

What does SR have to do with being a threat of a captain being able to depend on spinner to a decent holding job in IND???

If by threat you want to see spinners spin out India in India similar to Murali's spell @ Chennai 05 or Saqlain bowling performance in 99/00. Then no thats not the yardstick i'm talking about.

I'm basing it on the simple yardstick of decent spinners since IND have been a force @ home since the 70s. Being able to become enough of a threat of turners in which they have either been able to :

- Keep IND batsmen quiet. Similar to what Vettori did recently, Giles in 2001/02 or Harris for periods in 2008 & 2010.

- Or when they got turning pitches they have been able to take 5 wicket hauls (or a 4 wicket haul spell like Udal in 2006). Whether their side won or not.

AUS couldn't depend on Hauritz to do either in IND recently.

Oh, and I haven't even STARTED on how your whole argument of spinners in India is based on a few isolated spells (namely Matthew/Border/Bright in 1 test match, Krejza in 1 match and Shaun Udal in 1 session) and not the clear, general, historic trend,

Well duhhhhh you woudln't have clear general historical trend since not IN EVERY SERIES SINCE INDIA BECAME A FORCE @ HOME IN THE 1970s. That every opposition has brought capable spinners to IND, other trash spinners like Haurtiz has toured IND in the past & they where smoked in the last 30 years.

The instances with those bowlers who did respectably in IND, where the few times solid spinners toured IND in the last 30 years & did well. Christtt....

and how you're a hypocrite considering you just said this:

a few moments ago.

Half a day of a test match is a knee-jerk reaction, but 1 match or 1 spell isn't. Nice.

:lol.

Firstly how could 1 match or 1 spell etc by bowlers who consistently proved not only in India but on turning pitches throughout their careers all over the world that they have what it takes to be wicket-taking spinners. Be a knee-jerk reaction??

Giles, Matthews, Bright, Giles, Adams, Boje, John Bracewell ALLLL did the above. So its not as if what did in India was a one-off instance in their entire careers. They where proven spinners on turners worldwide.

While Udal throughout his domestic career was always a dangerous bowler on turners. If you watched followed county cricket this would be obvious. Although i would admit what he did @ Mumbai 06 surprised me since i never thought he could replicate his FC form to test level, since i always says him as just county spinner like Gary Keedy, M Patel (who played vs IND & PAK 1996), Ian Salisbury, James Tredwell.

While Krejza showed the raw abilties that all the above spinners showed when they took wickets in IND & on turners throughout their careers in his two test, which is why he did well on his debut in IND. It is why also as i said above why if he played in right attack he would always be a threat in tests on turners worldwide.

Doherty situation is totally different. I have seen him bowl since he was star spinner when AUS won the 2002 Under 19 WC in NZ & before this test i never saw him turn the ball. He was always bowling quick darts which has made him a more successful ODI & T20 spinner than a FC spinner. His average pretty much shows that.

So going into this test i wasn't too found of his selection because of his style of bowling. But the test is still in progress & he still has to bowl on the 2nd innings where the ball may turn more & thats when he will have to step up.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insults by the way. Giles was never a genuine "wicket taking threat" even if the pitch was going square.

He bowled he West Indies once and thats about it.

Thanks for the insults by the way. Giles was never a genuine "wicket taking threat" even if the pitch was going square.

He bowled he West Indies once and thats about it.

Wow. I would expect better from a fellow Englishman who i would have hoped watched Giles career in great detail like myself. So if Giles only bowled out Windies once & was never a serious wicket-taking the ball was turning square. Then how do you explain these performances in:

- Pakistan 2000/01
- Sri Lanka 2000/01
- India 2001/02 (Ahmedbad test)
- Sri Lanka 03/04
- Nottingham 2004
- vs Windies 2004 (twice)

Or this delivery: YouTube - Ashley Giles' "ball of the century"

Along with a similar big spinning delivery he dismissed Brian Lara with @ Lords 2004?.

But nah none of these never happen. All a figment of my imagination. Giles was never genuine a wicket taking threat on turners & he only ever bowled out the windies once in his entire career & thats it.

Giles was never genuine a wicket taking threat on turners & he only ever bowled out the windies once in his entire career & thats it.

Monty has more of a wicket taking threat than Giles does yet he isn't a genuine wicket taking threat?

Another interesting point is that you've said Haurtiz doesn't deserve to be in the side as he doesn't take enough wickets second innings when the balls turning yet he's taken 34 wickets at 28 in comparison to Gilo's 61 wickets at 36.

Just for a vague outline that averages out as Haurtiz's taking 2.12500 wickets in the second innings at a better average to Gilo's 1.525 wickets on average in the second innings.

Monty has more of a wicket taking threat than Giles does yet he isn't a genuine wicket taking threat?

Excuse me, what?.

Themer said:
Another interesting point is that you've said Haurtiz doesn't deserve to be in the side as he doesn't take enough wickets second innings when the balls turning yet he's taken 34 wickets at 28 in comparison to Gilo's 61 wickets at 36.

Just for a vague outline that averages out as Haurtiz's taking 2.12500 wickets in the second innings at a better average to Gilo's 1.525 wickets on average in the second innings.

The old adage stats dont tell the whole truth applies here & this is certainly nothing more than useless stats picking.

I give on this one however. Since unfortunately i have dealing with people who clearly no nothing about how Haurtiz & Giles respective careers. Since to equate Giles record on turners/4th innings to Hauritz its nothing short of ridiculous.

Fact is in every turner/4th innings wicket Hauritz bowled on in his test career he struggled on expect for 2 test vs Pakistan team in turmoil (one match where match-fixing puts the matches under question).

Ashley Giles was a serious wicket-taking threat on more the 50% of turners/4th innings pitches he played on worldwide. Especially in the sub-continent.

Questioning the above shows a complete lack of understanding & cricket knowledge of those players career records. :facepalm

I'm sorry but you've just been damn right rude. I have followed both of said player careers but as usual because you have no basis for your arguments you've pulled out your usual stats don't tell us everything and "I've watched them" which seem to cover everything.

There is a chance you could be wrong you know.

My point on Monty is that he along with Hauritz have performed a hell of alot better than Giles has ever been close to in Test match cricket on both first and second innings.

Users who are viewing this thread