Do we really Need ODI format of cricket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelson111

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Keep ODIs as the short form and scrap T20s. ODIs still require skill and strategy and the better team will win on the day. T20s are decided by luck - anyone can go out and swing the bat wildly hoping for a good connection and a dropped catch!

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
T20s may not entirely be decided by luck, but certainly there is little scope for tactics and recovery. Any game you shorten the format you increase the chance of the weaker side winning, there'd be many a shock in football if games were stopped at half-time or in golf if played over one round or in tennis if decided in one set.

What the ICC needs to do is ensure TV and board greed don't conspire to produce too much cricket so all three formats can live side by side in disharmony. The ideal way would be to have fixed tour formats of say three Tests, four ODIs and two T20Is which would give you 21 days of cricket which, with appropriate amounts of warm up matches should mean they are do-able in 10-12 weeks.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
T20s need to be brought down and be controlled. The recent rise of Leagues all over the world could be detrimental to the health of the game. I would not want to see a football like situation wherein the game is controlled by LEague mafias all over the world. Football has very few internationals being played.It would be really sad if cricket goes the same way.

ODIs provide a lot of etertainment. The sluggish middle overs are the real game changers. Look at the recent Asia Cup final wherein the game totally tilted in Pakistan's favor due to the 'middle over tactics'.

It is true that T20 gets in the moolah and is far more glamorous than any form of cricket. However, as sustaining this format for long will end up killing test cricket, which in my opinion, has already begun.

Frankly quite ticked to see guys like Manjrekar support the removal of ODI's from cricket. [/URL]

Manjrekar is stupid. If viewers were given a choice to choose their commentators, I'd be the first one to vote against him. He is so irritating that I generally end up keeping the TV on mute whenever he is one air.:mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread