Domain Name Help

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Hey guys

Well, i've set the wheels rolling on CricketReport by registering the Youtube account and WordPress account.

I'm thinking of purchasing a domain from Google (More information on that thing can be found here). Basically what they are offering is a list of their applications (gmail, gtalk, Google Calendar, etc) to work with your website. The applications are free, but they sell a domain name with them for $10 if you want to.

Now, will this domain name work with WordPress.com? I'm quite clueless at this point!

Thanks

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Probably best to just go through a normal domain registrar. I use godaddy, but I wouldn't recommend them as their customer support is the worst of any company I've ever dealt with.

Those google app things can work on any domain, not just ones registered through them. I don't know about wordpress.com in particular, but it should be fairly simple to get a domain to work with that site no matter how you purchase it, but Google would want you to use Blogger with a domain you've bought from them (though there shouldn't be anything stopping you not using Google services with it, you'll probably have an easier time with another registrar).

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Well I use godaddy too, and oddly enough the once or twice I've asked for service I've found it okay, not the best but it works. Their domain registration / renewal / updation (Nameservers) is pretty fast though.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
If I get a new domain with wordpress, do I need to look for hosting as well?
Unless you are hosting other things besides the blog, no. Wordpress host the blog for free, so if all you are needing is a blog just buy the domain from them.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
If you are going to buy a domain from a specific type of company (such as Google Apps or Wordpress), you will probably find it a little difficult to do what you want with your domain later on. Of course, it is probably more expensive to get your own hosting and whatnot.

GoDaddy domains can be extremely cheap, especially if you buy them for 5-10 years. Before you buy, Google "GoDaddy coupons" to find discounts that make the domain price come down to almost $6 a year.

Users who are viewing this thread