MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Considering Cricket 07 got a 6.9 and IC2010 got a 7.0 - my conclusion from their review - Don Bradman Cricket 14 is a cricket game.

Yeah, it's certainly disappointing the game released with such visible and seemingly obvious to get fixed before release bugs, very few sites will go back and adjust their reviews for a patch, so they'll probably get stuck with the 'average' reviews when the game will probably really shortly fix a bulk of the issues raised.

kasabian21

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
It just makes you wonder how it made it through into the final game? Who 'okayed' it and why? I just can't figure out how, after all the hours the Big Ant team played the game, they allowed it in?

I'm actually saying this out of frustration for wanting the game to be received really well everywhere than any kind of criticism of Big Ant. DBC14 isn't an average game.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Part of me wonders if it's just a deliberate minor bug they can patch quickly after release just to add another layer of ruining things for pirates.

I hope that's not it, because I'd have thought initial experience and reviews would be of more importance.

kasabian21

International Coach
It didn't even cross my mind that it could be an anti-piracy measure. Surely not?! Would a developer really focus on the pirates rather than the paying customers who make up the majority of the people who play the game. I think. No citation available I'm afraid.

As you quite rightly state, first impressions are everything.

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
There are some oversights for sure but when you think a game is balanced you don't look at things in isolation for fear of destabilising it, having real physics means the test matrix is huge.

Mostly those that have been playing it for too long have become to accustomed to it and know how to place the ball very well.

I'd rather not hijack this thread, the biggest issues will be patched. I think the game deserves 7 and above regardless

kasabian21

International Coach
There are some oversights for sure but when you think a game is balanced you don't look at things in isolation for fear of destabilising it, having real physics means the test matrix is huge.

Mostly those that have been playing it for too long have become to accustomed to it and know how to place the ball very well.

I'd rather not hijack this thread, the biggest issues will be patched. I think the game deserves 7 and above regardless

How does all this compare to your previous games? More bugs? Less bugs? Etc...this is the first time I've ever followed a game for a long period of time so I have no idea what the 'norm' is.

Will this change your outlook for the next game in terms of testing? i.e giving @MattW and @barmyarmy a copy for a few weeks to get feedback from 'outside eyes'?

zombieian

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
I guess only BigAnt can answer this question.
I agree with the sentiments. This appears to be a very annoying issue along with the run out bug that shouldn't have been present on release. They must have been noticed by the play testers surely?

----------

I appreciate that these bugs will be patched, but if the problems were noticed before release why not patch them then rather than post release?

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
I am happy with the testing.

It's far from broken, testing these games is a far more difficult task than is being given credit in the emotional dialog above.

zombieian

International Coach
I am happy with the testing.

It's far from broken, testing these games is a far more difficult task than is being given credit in the emotional dialog above.

I think the emotional dialog is partly because the followers of the game would have liked the reviews to have had better scores, which were probably held back by the small, patchable issues.

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
The main things that scored against us were "design" issues, as in they didn't like our design ie radar

I'm happy with the reviews, in the main they have concentrated on the many positives and if we get a chance (unlikely) we will get a review of the review after some patches have gone out. If not, no biggie, as said before, reviews effect the ego but not the sales.

You can always bump the user review scores up for is too :)

zombieian

International Coach
The main things that scored against us were "design" issues, as in they didn't like our design ie radar

I'm happy with the reviews, in the main they have concentrated on the many positives and if we get a chance (unlikely) we will get a review of the review after some patches have gone out. If not, no biggie, as said before, reviews effect the ego but not the sales.

You can always bump the user review scores up for is too :)

Most of what I have seen of the game looks brilliant Ross and you can be rightly proud of what you have achieved.

haidox

School Cricketer
Ross, can you tell us which of the bugs you will be trying to fix in the next patch?

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors
I agree with Ross's points on balancing. Right now I'd say that the career mode difficulty is not balanced though (again, I don't have it yet, but based on results and anecdotes).

I don't take interest in any criticisms of the game for being too hard, because we have ALWAYS wanted a difficult cricket game, particularly with batting. Nevertheless, I think that people are getting frustrated taking bags of wickets straight away, and wanting to progress to a harder difficulty, yet being held back because they can't score runs.

I think this is mainly the "fault" of the user though. People have jumped straight into career mode yet they should be playing team mode matches where you have 10 wickets in hand and can practice batting more :) You get lots of practice in career mode when bowling because even if you get spanked you still get to bowl again. If you play a single bad shot you can be out and that's it.

Also given the well-documented bug in career mode presently, I am surprised more people aren't holding off on it for now.

Users who are viewing this thread