Earthquake in Pakistan

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Sorry if I can't make such a thread here. But this news is pretty big. Especially for the Pakistani, Afghani and Indian people here.

Quake hits Indo-Pakistan border

Dozens of people are feared dead after a strong earthquake hit Pakistan, north India and Afghanistan.
The US Geological Survey said the quake had a magnitude of at least 7.6 and the epicentre was 80km (50 miles) north-east of Islamabad.

Pakistan's army says it fears heavy damage in northern areas. A government official said the eventual death toll could be "very high".

Rescuers are trying to reach residents in collapsed buildings in Islamabad.

Residents in the Afghan capital, Kabul, and India's capital, Delhi, are also reported to have felt the tremor.

Aftershocks

Maj Gen Shaukat Sultan, Pakistan's chief military spokesman, told the AFP news agency: "We have reports that an entire village has been wiped out in Bagh district in Kashmir.

"In Kashmir and the northern areas we are receiving reports of severe damage."

The BBC's Zaffar Abbas in the Pakistani capital, Islamabad, says aftershocks were being felt there and people were still out on the streets, afraid to go back into their homes.

Two apartment buildings collapsed in the city. Television pictures showed rescuers trying to reach trapped residents.

Government official, Mohammad Ali, told Reuters: "I just cannot say how many people are still under there and we are trying to evacuate them.

"Over 75 apartments were affected so the number of people is in the hundreds."

Pakistan's Geo television channel said it had reports of 25 people killed in Pakistan-administered Kashmir.

Mohammad Hanif, an official at the Pakistan Meteorological Department, told the Reuters news agency: ""We can say that it was one of the strongest earthquakes [ever] felt in Islamabad."

Police in the Pakistani city of Lahore told the Associated Press news agency that at least eight people were injured and four shops were damaged.

"It was so strong that I saw buildings swaying. It was terrifying," Hari Singh, a guard in an apartment complex in the Delhi suburb of Noida told Associated Press.

Haikal Shah Falah, a government employee in Jalalabad, eastern Afghanistan, said: "We've reports that two children were killed, one in Charbag and one in Chapliyar districts."

Aisha Begum, 84, a resident of Srinagar in Indian-administered Kashmir, said: "This is the strongest earthquake I have ever witnessed in my life."

The BBC's Altaf Hussein in Srinagar says officials believe at least 12 people have been killed in Indian-administered Kashmir. Hundreds have been injured.

The 200-year-old Moti Mahal fort in Poonch district has collapsed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4321490.stm

gamerkid22

National Board President
Its really shocking today i heard in the news about that and tremours were also felt in north India.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
I heard the shock was felt from Kabul to New Delhi. A very big earthquake.

D

dohbot2

i know, its horrendous, pray for all those involved, im being seroius

Sureshot

Executive member
Shocking must be horrible to be involved in such a thing.

Scientists (the decent ones) say that if Earthquakes happened on the earths surface (a 8 on the richter scale) it would be the equivalent to about 160 tonnes of TNT. about 10 times more powerful than the Hiroshima bombs.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
That piece of information doesn't make me happy.

Here is some more information:

A Washington report said that US Geological Survey recorded the intensity of the earthquake at 7.6 Richter scale, but Japan Metrological Agency claimed to have recorded it at 7.8.

Initial reports indicated that this might prove to be the worst of earthquakes that were experienced during the past several decades in these areas.

Pakistan Metrological Department told that these areas had suffered earthquake of the intensity of 6.2 Richter scale twenty years ago.

Last edited:

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
The information under the bolded line, which I edited now.

Also there has been eight people rescued from a broken down building in Pakistan.

siddharth2002

National Board President<br /><a href="showthread.
I don't know how does earthquakes work but I just felt one here in Wellington , NZ. Could they be connected together.

jdbais

International Cricketer
siddharth2002 said:
I don't know how does earthquakes work but I just felt one here in Wellington , NZ. Could they be connected together.

Please tell me you are joking.

taimurasad

Club Cricketer
It has jolted everyone here in Pakistan. I talked to one of my friend living in Islamabad and he said that all the people r out on streets as more quake's r expected in next 24hrs, its a complete chaos.

:upray :upray :upray

Proud Pakistani

School Cricketer
The devastation is massive as far as Pakistan is concerned. But, since its Kabul to New Delhi, it's horrible! Some 1000 people are feared dead in Pakistan alone.

Full Story

Users who are viewing this thread