Editor for Cricket Captain 2020 (Release)

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Dear @weetabixharry thanks for the editor. I seem to be having a problem. I edited a player (eg Rohit Sharma) Batting ability to 1500 min and 1500 max and save. When I open him again in the editor his Batting ability goes back to 1000 min and 1500 max. What am I doing wrong?

I would imagine that the latter is the default setting for any player and your rating got saved. However, the only way to confirm this is with the ability to see the actual rating which @weetabixharry hasn't added yet.

weetabixharry

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
England
Dear @weetabixharry thanks for the editor. I seem to be having a problem. I edited a player (eg Rohit Sharma) Batting ability to 1500 min and 1500 max and save. When I open him again in the editor his Batting ability goes back to 1000 min and 1500 max. What am I doing wrong?

If you hit "Rand" and then hit "Apply", then the ability was updated and saved correctly. If you hit "Load", then you will just see the defaults again. Currently, there is no way to see current ability/potential.

The game developers requested that hidden attributes are not made visible. This is a difficult situation because I personally prefer attributes to be visible (like in most sports management games). This was one of my main reasons for writing the Editor (and definitely the number 1 reason for writing the Scout).

Since you helped out a lot with the 2018 Editor, I would be happy to send you an unlocked Editor and Scout privately as long as they are never uploaded publicly (and as long as you don't upload any information about ability and potential levels). I want to give people the tools they want, but I also want to respect the requests of the game's developers. More generally, I will try to create a trust-based system so I can share unlocked tools with more people (e.g. print their PlanetCricket user name in the editor, so if it is leaked online, then they will be excluded from future releases). I expect 99% of people to just download the editor without reading the forum, so this should work for a small number of people.

When we get closer to the release of CC 2021, I will probably release an unlocked editor publicly. In my opinion, this helps prolong enjoyment of the game after you have been playing for a while.

Prashanth S Kharche

Club Captain
If you hit "Rand" and then hit "Apply", then the ability was updated and saved correctly. If you hit "Load", then you will just see the defaults again. Currently, there is no way to see current ability/potential.

The game developers requested that hidden attributes are not made visible. This is a difficult situation because I personally prefer attributes to be visible (like in most sports management games). This was one of my main reasons for writing the Editor (and definitely the number 1 reason for writing the Scout).

Since you helped out a lot with the 2018 Editor, I would be happy to send you an unlocked Editor and Scout privately as long as they are never uploaded publicly (and as long as you don't upload any information about ability and potential levels). I want to give people the tools they want, but I also want to respect the requests of the game's developers. More generally, I will try to create a trust-based system so I can share unlocked tools with more people (e.g. print their PlanetCricket user name in the editor, so if it is leaked online, then they will be excluded from future releases). I expect 99% of people to just download the editor without reading the forum, so this should work for a small number of people.

When we get closer to the release of CC 2021, I will probably release an unlocked editor publicly. In my opinion, this helps prolong enjoyment of the game after you have been playing for a while.

Noted @weetabixharry And appreciate the fact you're respecting the views of the Developer's even though honestly I don't see the logic. My email ID is [email protected] and I would very much appreciate a copy of the unlocked editor and scout. Great work, this game just got way better now!

Lenix43

School Cricketer
Hi Harry,

Is it possible to get an unlocked version of the CC20 editor please? Email ID is [email protected]

I post as Lynx54321 on the CC forum.

My motive would basically be that I follow a lot of youth/second XI cricket in real life and would like to track and ensure certain players whom I think are great prospects are breaking into county squads. Sureshot does a great job with the database but I'm not sure the game always captures player development accurately.

Secondly I'd quite like to do some experiments into said development and the impact of technique coaching.

Cheers,

Lynx

weetabixharry

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
England
For those interested in editing your opponent's team selection and batting order, I have found a way to do this. I've only tested it in domestic games, but I think it will work the same for internationals.

First, a simple example. Playing against Somerset, I promoted Jack Leach to bat at 1 (where he belongs!):

upload_2020-7-7_21-27-36.png

Here's a more complex example. Playing as New South Wales against Queensland, I traded Steve Smith and David Warner (NSW) for Marnus Labuschagne and Usman Khawaja (QLD) to play on opposite teams:

upload_2020-7-7_21-53-35.png

Steve Smith scored a decent 63 against his own team, but it wasn't enough to win the game:

upload_2020-7-7_21-54-53.png upload_2020-7-7_21-55-16.png

I will add this to the next release of the editor.

Lenix43

School Cricketer
Apologies I did try to PM but it kept getting blocked for being assessed as spam.

Lenix43

School Cricketer
In terms of feature requests, wicket keeping and fielding ability would be good.

weetabixharry

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
England
In terms of feature requests, wicket keeping and fielding ability would be good.

I spent a huge amount of time working on these for CC 2018, but never found anything. I might eventually try again for CC 2020.

Hidden attributes are very difficult to find. Each player's data is several thousand bytes and since ~2007, to my knowledge, only four hidden attributes have been found (plus I possibly found bowling aggression, but never spent much time testing it). Batting and bowling ability were found by literally changing every byte, one at a time, and seeing what happened. For fielding, it's much harder because even the best fielder that ever lived could go several games without taking a catch or effecting a run-out.[DOUBLEPOST=1594224250][/DOUBLEPOST]In other news, Cricket Captain patch 20.08 has been released today, so this will delay my progress again, while I relocate all the memory locations.

Lenix43

School Cricketer
That's mad. Perhaps given Chris Childs seeming offer to assist this could be something worth asking him in terms of identifying certain attributes.

Also it could be worth asking if in future versions they can include an additional and hidden binary field in the save game format. 0 unedited and 1 edited. Any alteration applied with your editor could change this to a 1 therefore removing the restriction on editing normal difficulty games whilst ensuring they can't be used online.

When do you think a non hidden ability version could be available to the likes of me?

weetabixharry

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
England
That's mad. Perhaps given Chris Childs seeming offer to assist this could be something worth asking him in terms of identifying certain attributes.

Chris Child has always been clear that he prefers hidden attributes to remain hidden. He considers this to be a central mechanic of the game. Not everyone totally understands this (including me), but I'm willing to accept he's the expert, not me. He got a PhD in computer science while simultaneously developing the best cricket management game in the world, so I have huge respect for him. I don't think there would be any sense in pressuring him on this. He did offer to help, but honestly I'm sure he's already working 100% on more important aspects of the game, so I will only contact him if I have something really specific that I can't figure out.

The game isn't perfect. I want the editor to fix some of the small issues that people complain to the developers about, not create more problems for them.

Also it could be worth asking if in future versions they can include an additional and hidden binary field in the save game format. 0 unedited and 1 edited. Any alteration applied with your editor could change this to a 1 therefore removing the restriction on editing normal difficulty games whilst ensuring they can't be used online.

I mentioned something like this a while ago in a forum thread that Sureshot was reading, but I don't think he spotted it. So far, people seem happy to just edit Easy mode games, so I haven't pursued it any further.

When do you think a non hidden ability version could be available to the likes of me?

I have no update on this. When I do, it will be posted here. My first priority is to patch the existing editor for update 20.08.

weetabixharry

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
England
For those interested in transferring players between teams, I have made some progress. Playing as Glamorgan, I traded Joe Root and Johnny Bairstow from Yorkshire to Glamorgan.

I initially had some stability issues (game crashes), but I get them quite often when I'm experimenting with new things. Now it seems to be working fine.

It's going to take me a while to add this (and opposition team selection) to the editor because I can't really think of a neat way to do it. Initially, it might be a bit ugly.

Lenix43

School Cricketer
Regarding changing player abilities without seeing them is it possible to get some presets or more examples at least. I have no idea what to rate a young player who should be just breaking I to the County first XI for example.

Maybe the editor could show us more abstract values?

Batting value of current top 6?
Average batting ability of all batsman at club?
Same for bowlers

tazzron

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Regarding changing player abilities without seeing them is it possible to get some presets or more examples at least. I have no idea what to rate a young player who should be just breaking I to the County first XI for example.

Maybe the editor could show us more abstract values?

Batting value of current top 6?
Average batting ability of all batsman at club?
Same for bowlers

scroll down a bit on the first page of this thread to see the values of some players that Harry put up to give you a better idea of what to rate players.

Users who are viewing this thread