England in the 90s

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
That seems to be the problem at each release, two steps forward and two steps back.

since there’s obvious scripting and 1000% unreal physics (ball played straight into ground by AI fly to ring fielder, ball played in the air by AI drop just short) why they don’t just script a dismissal type I don’t know...

Proper real result physics would be better of course.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Haven’t had time to make videos, but still playing.

Won the Ashes with a big win in Adelaide, 3 matches in a row Australia had a very poor 3rd inns giving me very little to chase to take an insurmountable 3-1 lead.

Blown away 1st inns in Perth.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Having been dismissed for 118 1st inns, a terrible performance in which only Gower (47) and Lamb (30-odd) looked decent, I was really up against it.

Amazingly, I managed to restrict the Aussies to only a 55 run lead, Malcolm leading the way with 4 wickets and 2 a piece for Defraitas, Tufnell and debutant Phil Newport.

Alas, I collapsed again 2nd dig and Aussies knocked off the small target for a 10 wicket win. Craig McDermott unplayable in the second inns, 6-19. Kept edging him.

however, the 3-2 series win for England means Graham Gooch’s men bring home the urn, regaining the Ashes at the first attempt!

All that 90s pain didn’t happen!!

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Am a little “Test weary” having played so far every ball of 16 test matches. In particular I’ve found the 2 5-match series hard going.

Next Test assignment is another 5 match series at home to West Indies. However, in a slight change of plan I’m going to play the 3-match ODI series that preceded it in the summer of 1991.

Dunno if this was the Texaco Trophy then but I remember it being so and thus have branded it as such. Will start tonight and share some video!

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yeah, it was Texaco unless I'm remembering things very wrong.

IIRC, this was Botham's return to the side - he got 4 wickets, with Boycs commenting that he could "get a wicket with an orange", even at old man medium pace. And then he pulled a hammy batting and needed a runner.

The first test was notable for Ramprakash presaging his entire test career on debut by looking good for 27 and then getting out, but also taking an incredible catch at cover point to dismiss Phil Simmons.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Yeah, it was Texaco unless I'm remembering things very wrong.

IIRC, this was Botham's return to the side - he got 4 wickets, with Boycs commenting that he could "get a wicket with an orange", even at old man medium pace. And then he pulled a hammy batting and needed a runner.

The first test was notable for Ramprakash presaging his entire test career on debut by looking good for 27 and then getting out, but also taking an incredible catch at cover point to dismiss Phil Simmons.

Yep, Beefy played, got injured and came back for the last test. Gordon Greenidge got injured in the ODIs too and that was it for his career as he was gonna retire anyway at the end of the tour.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Oh wow, yes. I'd totally forgotten about Greenidge on that tour. What a special player.

He was phenomenal.

This was also the tour when Clayton Lambert played the 5th test, because he was in England playing league cricket when Gus Logie and the tour reserve bastman were both injured... and that tour reserve batsman? Brian Charles Lara. Perhaps England wouldn't have levelled the series had he played!!

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
A lot of fun! I play my ‘ODI’ as a 30-over match with a single power play of 2 fielders out for the first 9 overs, then 4 fielders out for the rest.

Over quickly but still the game calls it List A.

Windies made 176 thanks to a brutal 94* from Richards - Logie’s fannying around in the last over left home stranded at the non strikers end and unable to reach the ton.

Thought it would be more challenging but knocked it off easily enough, thanks to a quick 31 from Hick (ODI debut) and a classy 62* from Fairbrother.

I will ramp up AI run rate and batting difficulty for next matches. Think I’ll definitely play this format more to break up the test series...

Will do some vids.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
There will never be vid of the 2nd ODI!!

Lost by 9 wickets and there was even time for a beer match...

Poor Gordon Greenidge out for a duck in his last international inns the only wicket and only remotely positive thing for England in the whole game!!

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Seem to have found a good sweet spot. 18 overs into inns of 3rd ODI and it’s been challenging but I’ve been able to score and go big but lost wickets when I’ve not got it right.

Hopefully I’ve got the AI mentality right for the chase.

If so I’ll go on with the Test Series after, this has been a nice break, but I’ll replay some of the ODI series I’ve already skipped over to break it up. 5 tests against the Windies Attack is brutal.

Users who are viewing this thread