England's tour of Sri Lanka - November/December 2014

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
The problem with Cook is that he doesn't offer a lot apart from his batting. His fielding isn't that great, because he's not that mobile and although he has a decent catch on him, he's by no means that great or anywhere near spectacular. Plus, these days the easiest time to bat in ODIs is the opening spot and he's not getting runs there, so it's not like you can shift him around the order to get him to play better.

Personally, I think they'll keep with him. Simply because the selectors don't want everyone to say that they were wrong all along.

On the side on the whole though, I don't think we're a million miles away from a good side. Get rid of Cook for Hales and switch Taylor and Root around and the top 4 look good. Then it's a case of bringing Broad (when fit) in for either Bopara or Morgan depending on form and I think we'd do a lot better.

Then you'd look at Anderson for Jordan, Finn or Tredwell depending on conditions. Not that I would though, personally.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Unfortunately selection always has a strong potential for self-fulfilling prophecy. Unless your radar is really madly wrong, the guy you keep picking will eventually do something you can claim justifies his place, and the guys you don't select have the additional problems of fewer opportunities to develop their game and more cause for selection anxiety.

Users who are viewing this thread