ESPN's Legends of Cricket?

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Has anyone been watching it? What's you're take on it? I have. I've enjoyed it.
I think some of the selections are a little dodgy though. Sachin Tendulkar for one doesn't deserve to be on that list; they've been better batsman then him in this generation and if his on that list then what about Ricky Ponting? Or Brian Lara? They've had to endure as much pressure as Tendulkar but yet the former is more successful.
They're a few more but I won't elaborate for now. What's you're opinion?

Amit89

School Cricketer
wfdu_ben91 said:
Has anyone been watching it? What's you're take on it? I have. I've enjoyed it.
I think some of the selections are a little dodgy though. Sachin Tendulkar for one doesn't deserve to be on that list; they've been better batsman then him in this generation and if his on that list then what about Ricky Ponting? Or Brian Lara? They've had to endure as much pressure as Tendulkar but yet the former is more successful.They're a few more but I won't elaborate for now. What's you're opinion?

Yes I too think it is a bit 'dodgy', but its a tough call. Espn legnds of cricket was made in 2002 I think, back then it was all about Lara and Tendulkar. Ricky Ponting as been in the form of his life, he has'nt faced a lot of pressure. Ricky as never faced his own bowling, yet he struggled agaisnt Wasim, Waqur and Donald, who have been the premier bowlers of his career in cricket so far, he as also got a poor record in India. Lara is a great batsmen, but he is inconsistant, Lara's got records to his name, yet he never scored a test hundred agasint Wasim, Waqur and Donald, he struggled agaisnt the 2 W's.

Tendulkar's got runs, hundreds and records, he was very consistant during his prime, he as scored 100s agaisnt any kind of attack on any kind of pitch, agaisnt the premier bowlers of the world. Tendulkar was always under pressure, ecspically in the 90s, were he had to face the burden of more then a billion back home, their was a time when Tendulkar was a one man army. Tendulkar nearly single handedly took India to the world cup final. the greatest bowler in history Shane Warne had nigthmares of him. Sachin litrally tore him apart, Lara had Ambrose, Walsh, and co, Ponting has Warne and Mcgrath, Tendulkar had litrally nobody untill now. Tendulkar was even picked in Don Bradman'd squad of 11, and you say he does'ent deserve to be on that list?.

I think in the end all 3 deserves to be on that list, its a matter of opinion in the end.

Last edited:

Cricket_god

Associate Cricketer
Amit89 said:
Yes I too think it is a bit 'dodgy', but its a tough call. Espn legnds of cricket was made in 2002 I think, back then it was all about Lara and Tendulkar. Ricky Ponting as been in the form of his life, he has'nt faced a lot of pressure. Ricky as never faced his own bowling, yet he struggled agaisnt Wasim, Waqur and Donald, who have been the premier bowlers of his career in cricket so far, he as also got a poor record in India. Lara is a great batsmen, but he is inconsistant, Lara's got records to his name, yet he never scored a test hundred agasint Wasim, Waqur and Donald, he struggled agaisnt the 2 W's.

Tendulkar's got runs, hundreds and records, he was very consistant during his prime, he as scored 100s agaisnt any kind of attack on any kind of pitch, agaisnt the premier bowlers of the world. Tendulkar was always under pressure, ecspically in the 90s, were he had to face the burden of more then a billion back home, their was a time when Tendulkar was a one man army. Tendulkar nearly single handedly took India to the world cup final. the greatest bowler in history Shane Warne had nigthmares of him. Sachin litrally tore him apart, Lara had Ambrose, Walsh, and co, Ponting has Warne and Mcgrath, Tendulkar had litrally nobody untill now. Tendulkar was even picked in Don Bradman'd squad of 11, and you say he does'ent deserve to be on that list?.

I think in the end all 3 deserves to be on that list, its a matter of opinion in the end.

And Ponting cannnnnnnnnnnnn't play spin for god sake
:p specially in sub-continent and will struggle against pacers on low bounce pitches as tendulkar now on bouncy pitches but in his prime he was better than all of the above you mentioned.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Ponting has done very well in Sri Lanka, on low bounce pitches and against a far better spinner than any India have. If his record in India were purely due to an untrainable inability to play spin, he'd literally be incapable of facing more than a couple of overs in any match. The truth is, few batsman are lucky enough to have a great record in all countries and Tendulkar isn't even one of them.

To say that Tendulkar was great during his prime and that is what makes him a legend, but to then say Ponting is not deserving of similar consideration through similar results in his prime is just ridiculous.

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
Is this really about ESPN's show or a crazy attempt to wind up most Indian and indeed cricket fans. It's difficult to constitute what a legend is. If it is someone who is extremely famous, popular and an icon, then Tendulkar definitely is one. Also, to say Ponting or Lara are under as much pressure as Tendulkar is ridiculous. I don't want to sound rude, but if you sincerely believe that you need to do some more research about cricket. Tendulkar is under tremendous pressure. Whether he's the best batsman now or not is arguable, but to most people, he is definitely a legend.

Cricket_god

Associate Cricketer
angryangy said:
Ponting has done very well in Sri Lanka, on low bounce pitches and against a far better spinner than any India have. If his record in India were purely due to an untrainable inability to play spin, he'd literally be incapable of facing more than a couple of overs in any match. The truth is, few batsman are lucky enough to have a great record in all countries and Tendulkar isn't even one of them.

To say that Tendulkar was great during his prime and that is what makes him a legend, but to then say Ponting is not deserving of similar consideration through similar results in his prime is just ridiculous.

I Did not wanted to get in to it but here are some facts

1-Tendulkar has played against the best of the bowlers and dominated them in their prime .while ponting has played against average bowling attacks excpet the one in england .Also fastbowling is in the decline .
2-Tendulkars stats overseas-
Team-match-runs-HS-batavg-100-50
iin Australia 12 1029 241* 54.15 4 3 7 2/10 40.14 0 8 0
in Bangladesh 3 302 248* 151.00 1 0 2 1/27 36.50 0 2 0
in England 10 1074 193 71.60 4 4 0 - - 0 6 0
in New Zealand 8 498 113 41.50 1 3 4 2/7 17.00 0 3 0
in Pakistan 10 483 194* 40.25 1 2 4 2/36 44.75 0 6 0
in South Africa 12 835 169 39.76 3 3 3 1/9 41.33 0 10 0
in Sri Lanka 6 670 143 111.66 4 2 0 - - 0 4 0
in West Indies 10 620 117 47.69 1 5 2 2/107 74.00 0 7 0
in Zimbabwe 4 240 74 40.00 0 2 1 1/19 57.00 0 0 0

so shut your mouth
:p

v India 8 172 60 12.28 0 1
Pontings record in india he played well in srilanka but in srilanka there is slow turn while in india their is bounce and turn which shows up his technique
he is no where near being the best batsman in modern era And how can you forget the great Person Called Lara.I think it always has been between lara na dsachin and lara has always won it.But as a cricketer there is nobody near him in the modern era.

Last edited:

Gunner786

Panel of Selectors
ZoraxDoom said:
As much as I love the guy, I don't think he is legend material quite yet :p
what?

hes already a legend just for the way he bats the the entertainment he gives

and by the time his career is over

his 6's record will be unbeatable

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
gambino said:
what?

Since when is highest number of sixes a criterion for legendary status. A character is all he is, tbh.

Cricket_god

Associate Cricketer
gambino said:
what?

He is a legend for people who love sixes.

Gunner786

Panel of Selectors
you guys wont understand
you guys are blinded by statistics
the way he has influenced the odi game and the way people anticipate his arrival make him a legend in itself
not only that but many more reasons

also to one of the above posts showing tendulkars stats
his 40 average against pakistan is bloated by that 194*
take that away and his average will be in high 20's

pal

International Coach
Cricket_god said:
v India 8 172 60 12.28 0 1

Are you kidding me? Ricky Ponting only averages 12.28 in test matches played in India?

That's pretty crazy.

Last edited:

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
pal said:
Are you kidding me? Ricky Ponting only averages 12.28 in India in test matches?

That's pretty crazy.
Yup, with a highest score of 60. He's had a hard time against spinners in India. I believe Harbhajan has dismissed him 5 out of the 14 times he's played there.

Users who are viewing this thread