ESPN's Legends of Cricket?

nightprowler10

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Dare said:
the thing is 15-20 years from now when you look back these guys will be considered legends, just like we are looking back now and saying those guys on the list are legends. what makes McGrath a legend and not Waqar or Murali even tho all of the 3 guys i mentioned are just as good as the other guy. im not saying Jayasuriya is a legend now but when you look back 20 years from now you will get that thought.
McGrath is a legend because he kept an extremely low average in the era of batsmen in both forms of the game. His SR is among the best as well. Not to mention he's the only pacer ever to get more than 500 test wickets. Murali certainly deserves to be rated as high as if not higher than McGrath as far legendary status goes. Waqar is an odd one. The start he had to his career was absolutely amazing, and he was superb throughout his career up till the very end which is when he started trailing off and ended with great figures, just not legendary ones. The man had such sheer talent that he may well be considered a legend.

15-20 years from now, players like Inzamam and Jayasuria (not to say they're in the same class) will be remembered as all time greats, but definitely not legends IMHO.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
The only pacer to get 500 wickets NP? Unless i'm misunderstanding you (which I am sorry for if I am) then that's not true as Walsh has 519.

Still McGrath is a legend. I know you shouldn't judge a player on stats, but McGrath's are just exceptional.

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
evertonfan said:
The only pacer to get 500 wickets NP? Unless i'm misunderstanding you (which I am sorry for if I am) then that's not true as Walsh has 519.
I could say I meant 550 but I won't :p Overlooked that fact. But still, he's got more wickets than any other pacer in test history.

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
Dare said:
ok let me ask you than, when Inzi retires from cricket full time and 10 years after that you look back are you gona consider him a legend.
Well there have been better in this generation.
Ricky Ponting, Matthew Hayden, Justin Langer, Damien Martyn, Adam Gilchrist, Steve Waugh, Mark Waugh, Kevin Pietersen, Marcus Trescothick, Michael Vaughan, Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, Virender Sehwag, Mohammad Yousuf, Younis Khan, Jacques Kallis, Graeme Smith, Herschelle Gibbs, Kumar Sangakkara, Mahela Jayawardene & Brian Lara
It depends on how loosely you want to use the term "Legend". I bolded those who are better batsman and those who will probably overtake Inzy, IMO.

Inzy will be always remembered. I'm not sure certain about Jayasuriya though.

m477yp4rk3r

Club Cricketer
Shane Bond is up there! he needs to play more games though. if he plays upwards of 100 games he will finish with many wickets and healthy average....pity injury has kept him from being a real legend of the game.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
wfdu_ben91 said:
Well there have been better in this generation.

It depends on how loosely you want to use the term "Legend". I bolded those who are better batsman and those who will probably overtake Inzy, IMO.

Inzy will be always remembered. I'm not sure certain about Jayasuriya though.

yea no doubt that most of those guys will overtake Inzy and im probably using the word "legend" to loosely. i should have said greats rather than legends.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
masterkhan06 said:
But Jayasuriya is a Legend And That Is True and got good records in bote ODI and TEST.

And that makes him a legend?

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
There have been allot more players with better records then Jayasuriya!
I picked out about 20 players whose better then Jayasuriya and that's from this generation alone!

hassan

International Coach
Jayasuria is a legend in his own right for the Srilankans but no he doesnt disorve to be in the top 50... why not Waqar younis then... those people have created history and thus considered legends by changing the whole face of the game

wanderer331

School Cricketer
Ponting isn't great. He has NO personality.

He has a good collection of shots, fitness, fieldng. That's it

Never been an entertainer (botham, warne).
He is not very good socially (imran khan, border)
He lacks charisma and charm (Bradman)

The players are stale. Ponting is the stalest of them all.
Maybe it is beacuse of how professoinal these guys are now, the media is always on them. But Ponting could atleast remove his guard every now and then and RELAX.

Border, Chappel's, Benaud, Mark Taylor were much better at talking than him, a reason why ponting would make a terrible commentator because he has no personality.

hassan

International Coach
Hmmm Ponting, he isnt really an Imran or Botham like has their kind of personality or attraction like Akram or Warne... he is one of the best batsmen ever but i dont know its something about him that he isnt as popular as maybe warne,Mcgrath and even Brett Lee

Users who are viewing this thread