ESPN's Legends of Cricket?

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
gambino said:
do you even know the events that happened in 92 and how things came to a head between england and pakistan?

Well, seeing as I was 1 at the time, that is very unlikely. But, what has Botham facing Pakistan in 92 got to do with comparing him to Sanath Jayasuriya?

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
Ricky Ponting, Matthew Hayden, Justin Langer, Damien Martyn, Adam Gilchrist, Steve Waugh, Mark Waugh, Kevin Pietersen, Marcus Trescothick, Michael Vaughan, Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, Virender Sehwag, Inzamam ul-Haq, Mohammad Yousuf, Younis Khan, Jacques Kallis, Graeme Smith, Herschelle Gibbs, Kumar Sangakkara, Mahela Jayawardene & Brian Lara are all better batsman then Jayasuriya.

Master Khan

National Board President
PAK...
Profile Flag
Pakistan
wfdu_ben91 said:
Ricky Ponting, Matthew Hayden, Justin Langer, Damien Martyn, Adam Gilchrist, Steve Waugh, Mark Waugh, Kevin Pietersen, Marcus Trescothick, Michael Vaughan, Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, Virender Sehwag, Inzamam ul-Haq, Mohammad Yousuf, Younis Khan, Jacques Kallis, Graeme Smith, Herschelle Gibbs, Kumar Sangakkara, Mahela Jayawardene & Brian Lara are all better batsman then Jayasuriya.
Well Not All of Them

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
yea you kinda went too far with some of the names on that list Ben, in my opinion only Tendulkar is a better ODI batsman than Sanath and Jayasuriya deserves to be recognised as one of the best ever just on his ODI stats.

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
Well I'd say they all are. Definately not Vaughan on a ODI account but apart from that. If I wanted to I could've named more. Name which ones I've gone to far with.

How can you justify Jayasuriya on stats? If anything, that's the only thing you wouldn't justify him on. His statistics are poor, especially for someone who opens the batting in ODI cricket. And are you forgetting Viv Richards? Clearly a better ODI batsman then Tendulkar.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
im saying that in the list of 50 there are guys that have worse stats than Jayasuriya and if the lis was done again he would be on it because hes the one that really took ODI opening to another level and for that he should be included add on his stats in ODIs and hes in there in my mind.

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
I've already seen a episode on Jayasuriya anyway on Pioneers of Cricket. It's on youtube. I don't think he should have a place in Legends of Cricket though, there have been many more better.

It's funny how someone gave me a positive rep for mentioning Sehwag. Quite frankly, his the same sort of player but actually has a good enough record to back himself up.

Last edited:

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Jayasuriya has 11000+ ODI runs closer to 12000 and almost 300 wickets in ODIs. i do agree that some really good guys like Waqar and Qadir are not on the list but Jayasuriya has the credibilty to be on and expanded list. obicously if i put Jayasuriya on the list i would inlclude the likes of Inzi,Kallis,Dravid.

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I agree with Ben here. Jayasuria is certainly a pioneer in the sense that he revolutionized ODI cricket, but that just doesn't warrant him a place in the all time legends.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
ok let me ask you than, when Inzi retires from cricket full time and 10 years after that you look back are you gona consider him a legend.

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Dare said:
ok let me ask you than, when Inzi retires from cricket full time and 10 years after that you look back are you gona consider him a legend.
In a word, no. A cricketing great, but not a legend.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
the thing is 15-20 years from now when you look back these guys will be considered legends, just like we are looking back now and saying those guys on the list are legends. what makes McGrath a legend and not Waqar or Murali even tho all of the 3 guys i mentioned are just as good as the other guy. im not saying Jayasuriya is a legend now but when you look back 20 years from now you will get that thought.

Users who are viewing this thread