Features you want to see in next iteration of Big Ant Cricket

they definitely should be looking at what franco has done. but even franco gave user control (over pressure settings) even if not a slider.

giving a user control over their experience is not a bad thing.

Franco gave different settings to determine the pressure the batsman will be in. Meant they not only nicked the ball but also missed it, got LBW or gave some catches. I'm all for that. What I'm not comfortable with is having control over edges alone.

Franco gave different settings to determine the pressure the batsman will be in. Meant they not only nicked the ball but also missed it, got LBW or gave some catches. I'm all for that. What I'm not comfortable with is having control over edges alone.
Maybe they are saying edges not meaning taking wickets easily but get that Ooo and aahh situation quite often in the game...So better the stats and skills of the batsman more the misses than chances of edging them and vice versa..

@blockerdave and @cricket_online :Can you give pointed reasons why BA cannot create such situations just with their system instead of giving user the control of gameplay?

Note: Starting to get what you guys are trying to suggest..

@blockerdave and @cricket_online :Can you give pointed reasons why BA cannot create such situations just with their system instead of giving user the control of gameplay?

this might sound glib and more critical of BA than I mean it to be, but if the near complete absence of AI edges in DBC14 without the @francobaldo1 mod doesn't convince you then I am not sure what I could say that would convince you.

there is no suggestion of control over edges alone, the sugestion was for multiple gameplay option sliders, of which edges could be one.

If yes wouldnt it become cheating if they have a XP thing going on?

Who gives the teeniest tiniest shit about XP? Not me. Some idiot wants to whack all AI down so they roll them out for 40, let them. I will play the game for a good experience.

I could play the franco mod on very high pressure, get loads of edges and win every game and jack up my XP. i don't because i am not an absolute c. my last game, a test match played on legend batting and bowling with normal pressure mod, i lost (as associate all time xi vs pakistan all time) by 298 runs. i still had fun.

there is no suggestion of control over edges alone, the sugestion was for multiple gameplay option sliders, of which edges could be one.

Kinda guessed you would say that. I agree with your emotion but not the implementation. You want more edges? Then let's have a slider for it that will adjust everything around it too to be adjusted automatically instead of having sliders for each and every aspect of the adjoining elements. Simple.

First of all I'm hoping BA have a handle on it. Secondly one of the most fundamental problems with DB14 was it felt the same playing Russia as it did Australia. On whatever level I'm on, a low ranked team should be easier to beat. And playing as a high ranked team it should be easier. Edges, catches, plays and misses etc need to show this. Whether by giving the game sliders or by extensive play testing by genuine cricket fans it must be correctly implemented this time. There was some good discussion on this in the past in a thread:- Russia 122-2 at lunch or something.

Kinda guessed you would say that. I agree with your emotion but not the implementation. You want more edges? Then let's have a slider for it that will adjust everything around it too to be adjusted automatically instead of having sliders for each and every aspect of the adjoining elements. Simple.

a single slider effecting multiple elements is emphatically not simpler than individual sliders.

I'm a little undecided on whether I'd like fiddling with sliders, at least until I've played for probably 100+ hours. If I'm not getting a realistic number of edges, conceding too many runs etc while bowling, it could be tempting to simply up the edge frequency and lower batsman aggression until I'm getting scorecards which look somewhat realistic... Or if I'm always getting caught behind while batting, or not reacting quickly enough, I could reduce edge frequency and bowling speed.

What if in reality, the gameplay were already well balanced and by making these tweaks I'm just making the game artificially easier for myself? It's true that in DBC14 the lack of AI edges was very clear if you'd put enough time into the game, and no amount of improving your skill at the bowling mechanics could bring realistic results, but coming to this conclusion takes a lot of time playing the game.

For this reason I think it may be better for such sliders to be introduced a bit further down the line, maybe a few months after release in a patch so people have had enough time to judge the gameplay, or for BA to look at feedback on here and make the tweaks themselves.

I think you missed my earlier posts. I would preferably have a slider for every aspect of gameplay if possible. If folks are uncomfortable with it, Big Ant can have something like 'Options' and 'Advanced Options' for the sliders and users can simply choose to play on default slider settings the way majority do in madden or FIFA.

Secondly I explained in this post (Features you want to see in next iteration of Big Ant Cricket | Page 183 - Don Bradman Cricket 17 Forum on PlanetCricket Forums that at the end of the day how well you play a shot or edge it is a mathematical function. the slider will simply change the frequency of the same occuring. At it's simplest it will add an multiplier to the output created by the Big Ant's DBC 17 game engine when it computes a certain shot is a well timed shot, not or an edge. The mathematical model will not magically ignore other aspects and create edges as you keep on repeating. It will increase the probability of an edge based on a multiplier.

If you don't want to tweak it, don't. But others may have a different view or expectation of gameplay and may want more or fewer edges. It's an option, not a game breaker. It's akin to somebody protesting about adding an optional "Field Radar" on the grounds it's not realistic. Guess what, if you don't find it realistic don't use it or turn it off but maybe thousands others prefer to use it. Same with sliders for all aspects of gameplay. If you are happy with "out of the box" game all power to you but there are others who may want a different gameplay experience and that's why I call them "optional" sliders. You don't have to use them if you don't want to.

Maybe they are saying edges not meaning taking wickets easily but get that Ooo and aahh situation quite often in the game...So better the stats and skills of the batsman more the misses than chances of edging them and vice versa..

Note: Starting to get what you guys are trying to suggest..

I've already explained it in an earlier post but here goes...

1. Big Ant simply won't have as many hours in testing and game balancing as the actual end users. This was clear when within a week of DBC 14's launch folks came out with a list of obvious issues ranging from fielders, field sets, run out bugs etc. Rather than wait for game developer to apply a game balancing patch, I would rather users or user community do so and let the game developers worry about enhancing the game by introducing new features (scenario creator, stadium creator, improved career mode etc.) instead of trying to balance the game.

2. Every user or sets of users has a different expectation of balanced gameplay. Your definition of "balanced gameplay" may not match mine and mine may not match blocker's. That's where the sliders come in so every user can tailor the gameplay experience based on their requirements instead of hoping Big Ant or any game developer can come up with a silver bullet to satisfy everyone.

P.S. - The reason I use Madden as an example is because Ross/ @BigAntStudios worked with the Madden franchise back in the day and he can relate to the items regarding customizing gameplay experience via slider based settings.

The NFL itself, not Madden.

Ok. I thought Ross was associated with Madden itself given his background/experience in video game development. In that case I would recommend Ross to get a copy of Madden (which I suspect he already has) and play around with the slider based settings :)

I'm currently off work awaiting another knee operation. I'd be happy to play test the game to death while I'm sitting here watching the Disney channel with my little girl. I'm even happy to fly economy to Australia if Ross fancies stumping up the expenses. ☺

Users who are viewing this thread