National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Gameplay wise, I would love to see these changes in the new version :

-Normal shots don't go in air when timed well. No good player plays drive uppishly

-Soft shots when the stick is only pushed a little.

Unless I misunderstand your points, I can accomplish these two issues even with the current version of the game on my PS3 :|

I have played a fair amount of normal shots that have raced all along the ground. Or has bounced on the pitch itself. It just requires really perfect timing I think

And have been able to tap the ball with R2 pressed lightly and steal singles, and even twos. Especially when a right-armer is bowling around the wicket, and I am pushing the ball through the offside.

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The ball, off the bat, to curve in flight left or right depending on the amount of spin departed on the ball once it leaves the bat, currently it ALWAYS flies dead straight, which is very poor considering the rest of the game (i.e. the bowling and deflections off of the pad or the players body) has got sidespin implemented which affects the path of the ball.

At present the ball only deviates from its initial shot direction once it comes down from the air and bounces...

It's not very poor, or even poor, it's a design decision.

We decided a human being would not be able to reasonably catch the ball if they had to take into account another axis, we obviously have the ability to calculate it as do for all but the original trajectory of the ball (as you mention).

Oregonian

Club Captain
Profile Flag
United States
The inclusion of various batting and bowling styles is required in next iteration of DBC, is that option being discussed by BigAnt for future ?

'SideSpin' Dazzer

Club Captain
but those same Human players have to judge a ball bowled to them that is spinning left right and centre, spin is all part of the game and affects the actual shots played in real life.

As I said once the ball is in the air from the bat, having it slightly move in flight to the left or right would be natural and shouldn't affect fielders positioning when trying to catch it too much because the ball wouldn't move THAT much from its original path, and watching a replay would look more impressive as per all other sports games.

Still, for a first effort this game is marvellous, so no real complaints.

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
but those same Human players have to judge a ball bowled to them that is spinning left right and centre, spin is all part of the game and affects the actual shots played in real life.

As I said once the ball is in the air from the bat, having it slightly move in flight to the left or right would be natural and shouldn't affect fielders positioning when trying to catch it too much because the ball wouldn't move THAT much from its original path, and watching a replay would look more impressive as per all other sports games.

Still, for a first effort this game is marvellous, so no real complaints.

In real life I have true 3D and depth perception.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Just include context sensitive npc dialogue. Problem solved.

"It's curving right!!!!"

"Remember the ball spins second bounce!!!"

MU11EN

School Cricketer
I am not sure if anyone else has found this but when I checked for trophy progress (PS3), I had 22/36 completed. Weird thing was that it said the progress was 38%. Hopefully looks like DLC is coming.:)

Liam hughes

Club Cricketer
So I haven't actually read the forums to see if anyone suggested this..
But I would like to see some version of a coach or agent telling you what they'd like to see out of you, let you know if you've been playing well or bad, that sorta thing.

dippa

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Biggest thing for me would be more time spent on animations so the game looks a lot "cleaner". More shots, different bowling styles, ways the fielders move, run, dive and so forth. A lot like the advanced animations that you would see in a FIFA game, but relevant towards cricket.

That way you get more of a realistic game without having to overhaul the engine, and you get rid of some of the things that look a bit glitchy (because the game doesn't have an animation entirely appropriate for where the positioning of the bowler/batter/keeper's body etc) at the same time.

As a different idea, I don't think extra commentary is really necessary. Most people ignore it or turn it off anyway.

What would be really cool would be the ability to have the game play cricket podcasts as an alternative to the commentary. I guess you could do that manually, have Test Match Special running in the background, but I don't know.

inertSpark

Associate Captain
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I think for sure, some way of being able to get our actual faces into the game would be my most wanted feature. Select sports titles such as FIFA, Fight Night, and I believe some of the PES games utilize 3D facial mesh generation from a front and side photo.

I'm not saying this could be done in game, but there is software out there such as Digimask and probably a few others that will take care of that and the only work needed would be the ability to import the meshes with textures into the game. This would take created players to a whole new level IMO.

karolkarol

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
Ireland (Cricket)
In a new iteration or actually in Patch 3, if possible, I would like the ability to have a career as an associate cricketer, playing intercontinental cup style matches or even 'test' series vs the other on disc associate nations. Niche request I know but there are enough Paddies and Jocks around here to hopefully make it viable.

Last edited:

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
In a new iteration or actually in Patch 3 if possible I would like the ability to play a career as someone from one of the on disc associate teams.
You could do that with the game as it stands - http://www.planetcricket.org/forums...eer-mode-other-nations-88937.html#post2730787

Just replace the Australian domestic with associate sides - pretend you're doing an Intercontinental Cup (minus two of the teams - perhaps drop Scotland and The Netherlands as they are part of the Pro40 part of the English Domestic in the game) - and then put the team your player is from into the international fixtures, and then select an associate cricketer to import when starting the career.

Juggernaut

School Cricketer
Apart from all, I would actually love to see some visual enhancements, especially, cloth animations like in Ashes 09, FIFA and Pro Evolution Soccer games. Cloth animations were mostly in sport games but now I'm seeing them more and more... GTA V, Max Payne, and almost all the new next gen games have them. It was said in the FAQ that it's likely that we're seeing a game for the next gen consoles, I don't know when, but that's nice. So, that's my opinion, and great work! :D

D

Deleted member 9102

Apart from all, I would actually love to see some visual enhancements, especially, cloth animations like in Ashes 09, FIFA and Pro Evolution Soccer games. Cloth animations were mostly in sport games but now I'm seeing them more and more... GTA V, Max Payne, and almost all the new next gen games have them. It was said in the FAQ that it's likely that we're seeing a game for the next gen consoles, I don't know when, but that's nice. So, that's my opinion, and great work! :D
Some extra eye candy would be nice, but I was already surprised by how good the game looks on the highest settings.

The only real complaint I have is that there's only FXAA antialiasing in the game and although I've tried applying 32x CSAA through the Nvidia Control Panel there is still quite noticeable aliasing on some edges, most noticeable on the grill of the batsman's helmet so I'm not sure that it's working this way. Might try using downsampling to improve it but having MSAA available in the graphics options would be nice.

Edit - I've turned off all of the antialiasing options and now I'm downsampling the game from 2880x1620 to 1920x1080 (1080p) and it looks much better in terms of the aliasing, still getting a solid 60fps too.

Last edited by a moderator:

'SideSpin' Dazzer

Club Captain
BigAntStudios, we all do mate.......

The fact all other sports sims these days have proper ball movement in 100% of their product says it all (except this game of course but it is a first effort to be fair), and if the coders have indeed left ALL the shots to fly perfectly straight in the air then:-

1:- Wind - There is no wind in the game affecting the ball flight which you previously said was in the game........explanation on this mate if possible? I don't want to come across as sarcastic but wind is clearly not in the game, except maybe a few players farting?

2:- Sidespin from the actual shot played - Its hopefully as you said simply a design decision to not have side-spin affecting the flight of the ball, although I know the maths in the coding would get affected a lot to be able to allow AI fielders to work out where the ball will land (Human players can judge it, AI need to be coded to judge it), therefore i think its been left like this to allow the AI to look more intelligent.....

In Cricket the actual shots are 70% of the game.........so to get these flying through the air realistically, for me, would get this game spot on in terms of ball physics all round.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread